Does anyone know if adding to the Diplomacy passive skill when playing as a Steel Garrote is a good idea?

Diplomatic disposition is disfavored, and I'm wondering if the dialogue options with a Diplomacy skill check also always come with a +point to Diplomatic disposition.

If choosing Diplomacy always increases Diplomatic disposition, then it would probably be best to just invest in Intimidate instead as a Steel Garrote.

I got the answer on Reddit from a great guy/gal called noqnnoqn.

I'll post it here just in case someone else will wonder about this in the future;

No, they are defined separately in the conversation files. This made me curious, so I wrote a little script to check how often they do match up, it turns out only 14/152 diplomacy checks actually add diplomacy dispositions. So you could get away with leveling Disposition even on a Garrote.

• Like 2

That was @Noqn :)

And he meant "Diplomacy" instead of "Disposition" in the last sentence I guess.

But anyway I think that leveling Intimidate instead of Diplomacy is the way to go for a Steel Garrote. 

• Thanks 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

9 hours ago, Noqn said:

noqnnoqn is just some poser nerd, we're unrelated

Haha, yea the name was somewhat familiar because I've read a lot of your posts here while researching how to build a character in this game.

By the way, if you have time, would it be possible for you to check how much overlap there is between the passive skill called Insight and the attribute called Perception, please?

I've read a couple of posts where it's mentioned that there's an overlap and a couple of others that mention they don't invest in Insight at all.

I'm definitely going to boost my Perception to 20 because that's the max needed for the checks according to the fireundubh tables, but I'm not sure if there are character/lore secrets I'm going to miss if I don't boost my Insight to 8.

• Like 1

I found that 5/226 insight checks can also be solved with perception. Which sounds less than I would've thought, but I went to check some scripted interactions manually to confirm and I think it's accurate.

Edited by Noqn
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Noqn said:

I found that 5/226 insight checks can also be solved with perception. Which sounds less than I would've thought, but I went to check some scripted interactions manually to confirm and I think it's accurate.

Ah, now that's really far from what I was predicting considering what I've read. Eight points into insight it is then hehe.

Thanks Noqn, really appreciate you looking into the files again. 😃

• Like 1