Seriously it seems so strong to me, multiclassing with a trickster atm so the synergy is amazing but I think itd fit well into a lot of builds, but almost every time i see a fighter multiclass it's one of the other subclasses being used. Am I mistaken about how often it gets used or missing something or..?

It is popular in Turn Based Mode (switching weapons = free action) - but not so much with RTwP.

I think most players want to stick to one weapon and only switch if it doesn't work out at all (like an Estoc against Risen Champions and so on). Black Jacket allows to quickly switch to the most suitable setup against certain enemies - and have more setups available. While that is very useful against most enemies (at least it's worth the same as the +2 PEN of the Devoted on average imo) it's just not that "cool" to most players I guess. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

relatedly i think mostly that black jacket is more skill-intense and metagame-intense to take advantage of. devoted and tactician are pretty straight-forward and easy to reason about.

that being said, when i'm doing a custom fighter, 90% of the time it's a blackjacket. the other fighter subclasses are way too transformative for generic fighter needs, and the downside is not too bad and even without much metagaming or micromanaging the benefits are still nice to have that it function better as a generic fighter than the generic fighter IMO.

16 hours ago, Boeroer said:

It is popular in Turn Based Mode (switching weapons = free action) - but not so much with RTwP.

I guess I didn't think about turn based because I only play rtwp but now that you mention it I have heard of people use it for turn based

16 hours ago, Boeroer said:

While that is very useful against most enemies (at least it's worth the same as the +2 PEN of the Devoted on average imo) it's just not that "cool" to most players I guess

Funny thing is I'm getting the +2 pen anyway (on top of all the other one handed bonuses) because I've got the sword modal on, and using stalkers patience and a large shield in another slot, hoping that the 20% chance to reset recovery procs on riposte, then still have two slots for whatever else, rn I'm thinking aoe for afflictions and and maybe one handed stalkers patience for a pierce alternative 

12 hours ago, thelee said:

relatedly i think mostly that black jacket is more skill-intense and metagame-intense to take advantage of. devoted and tactician are pretty straight-forward and easy to reason about.

I guess it's pretty micro managey, I kinda assumed most people micro their main much more than the rest of their squad anyway

12 hours ago, thelee said:

that being said, when i'm doing a custom fighter, 90% of the time it's a blackjacket. the other fighter subclasses are way too transformative for generic fighter needs, and the downside is not too bad and even without much metagaming or micromanaging the benefits are still nice to have that it function better as a generic fighter than the generic fighter IMO

I think this is the main thing I was driving at, I get some builds make specific use of the mechanic function of certain things like tactician but for the rest it seems like black jacket should just be the standard

Edited by Tomucci

Found a bit of an issue with it actually, or at least using it as a hybrid tank/dps, every time you switch weapons for about a second or so you lose engagement and persistent distraction which is pretty detrimental to how the builds supposed to function.