The primary changes that affect berserker are carnage can crit and many weapon on-hit attacks can't crit. I doubt carnage helps with Heartbeat Drumming so monk isn't my first choice. The same for skald.

Cipher especially soublade seems good like any melee dps, but does carnage generate focus? They also don't have self-healing

Fighter is a pretty balanced choice with high ACC, more hit to crit, healing and mob stance. Seems to be the easiest combination

Paladin doesn't have much synergy except healing and intelligence resistance. They also lack any ACC buff to help with crits.

BPM also gives rogues the ability to inflict permanent -25 fortitude so morningstar is no longer required. Should I use Amra or DW Aldris Blade of Captain Crow with something else?

3 hours ago, yorname said:

Paladin doesn't have much synergy except healing and intelligence resistance. They also lack any ACC buff to help with crits.

Paladin has Eternal Devotion which not only adds a burning lash but also +10 ACC. If you wear the Ring of Focused Flame you can add another +10ACC on top. Pretty good for landing crits. Then you can also use Zealous Focus for +5 additional ACC. It stacks with both FoD and Ring's bonus. Exalted Endurance's AR bonus doesn't stack with the Hardy inspiration of the Berserker anyway. Of you use a Kind Wayfarer and dual wield, your FoD attacks not only crit a lot but they also will heal you on the fly, making the use of Lay on Hands less frequent (better action economy). Also Paladin has on-kill effects (+defense, +Zeal) which synergizes with the Berserker (Bloodlust, Blood Thirst etc.). Barbaric Smash as finisher only. Add a pet that heals you on kill (+20) and maybe put a pet on Edér which heals +10 on kill party-wide. Results in pretty sturdy damage dealer imo.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

5 hours ago, Boeroer said:

My concern is that the limited uses of FoD might be too little for endgame bosses, since multiclass paladin can't regain zeal on their own without kills they fall back to auto attacks with only +5 ACC really quickly. Also fire attacks meet immunity every now and then.

Edited by yorname

True. If it's a party that's a non-issue in my experience though.

Berserker/Beguiler is also a good choice imo. 

I don't have a ton of exp. with Berserker/Rogue - only two builds I played for an extended amount of time. Both Streetfighters: one ranged with hunting bow, one with Pukestabber + Lover's Embrace. Ridiculous attacks speeds with both, so good fun. But more of a challenge to keep alive. 😉

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

6 minutes ago, Kaylon said:

Aldris & Scordeo

With BPM, you could also go for a Ranger/Berzerker and stacks pile of accuracy with the reworked hunter's claw. 

Then just pick a weapon pair that synergize with your Crit seeking build like this one. 

Beza toothed blade is great to have around too to act as a can opener for your whole party. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, yorname said:

The primary changes that affect berserker are carnage can crit and many weapon on-hit attacks can't crit. I doubt carnage helps with Heartbeat Drumming so monk isn't my first choice. The same for skald.

Cipher especially soublade seems good like any melee dps, but does carnage generate focus? They also don't have self-healing

Fighter is a pretty balanced choice with high ACC, more hit to crit, healing and mob stance. Seems to be the easiest combination

BPM also gives rogues the ability to inflict permanent -25 fortitude so morningstar is no longer required. Should I use Amra or DW Aldris Blade of Captain Crow with something else?

I've played both brutes and savages as mass-interrupt builds. Black Jacket is interesting once you get Slayer's Claw you can insta-energize every time you frenzy. I scripted it so I switch weapons when I frenzy and then mass interrupt things. Black Jacket is tankier and less awkward but if you want to crit basically everything you can't beat savages, particularly with ranger hunter's claw being per encounter now (and you can get 6+ acc in one use depending on weapons). But ranger won't have the healing to offset berserker. I would definitely go vanilla barbarian with a ranger because you auto crit nearly everything from accuracy and the bonus hit to crit is not really worth it. 

Berserker / FF is quite good for the massive healing and damage but FF attack doesn't work with carnage unfortunately. Other monks swift flurry and heartbeat drumming do proc carnage actually. 

Edit: Hadn't actually read the above responses but elric's is good, let me add stalker's patience is an amazing weapon for this type of build

Edited by Shai Hulud

Ended up with devoted berserker & saber. It's pretty boring tbh but at least quite easy to play. I've never played a barbarian and wanted to begin with berserker since it's the more melee focused choice.

On a second thought berserker simply trades 13hp/3s for effectively ~15ACC for melee only, considering I had to invest more CON and limited class choice, it's more about flavor than actual strength.

50 minutes ago, yorname said:

Ended up with devoted berserker & saber. It's pretty boring tbh but at least quite easy to play. I've never played a barbarian and wanted to begin with berserker since it's the more melee focused choice.

On a second thought berserker simply trades 13hp/3s for effectively ~15ACC for melee only, considering I had to invest more CON and limited class choice, it's more about flavor than actual strength.

You don't get even that if your accuracy is high enough you always or nearly always crit anyways, which is doable with a savage and you can get it pretty high with a brute. Hit to crit has diminishing returns the higher your accuracy because fewer of your attacks are hits. And since unbending is not as good in BPM it's not as great at offsetting the lost health. Stalwart Defiance can offset it, though your lost health unfortunately scales with might and power level just like your healing. 

I'm not a fan of berserkers except in builds where you actually want them to lose health like ravagers (or don't care, like a warlock with potions of final stand)