Hi,

i have some issues with choosing my starting character.

i never played POE but i like challenging games and to create my "perfect" character, so i want to play on hard mode 🙂

I like a meele focussed build for my main character without too much micro management and i like good late-game-scaling.

After some research i think of going with barbarian or paladin, but i have some problems with m choosing the right race. I really like the godlike race, but i am not sure how the racial abilities scale into lategame because they have to compensate the missing helmet (as far i know there are some really good helmets later on). The Nature godlike gets +3 to might, Dex and con while under 50% endurance. On the damage side alone that is +9% damage and +9% attack speed without a timer. The constitution increase seems also like a nice bonus.

But in comparison the Humans seems to be the better choice, because the passive (+15% damage and 7 accuracy for 20 sec when droping below 50% endurance) synergize well with the barbarian. Also it would last longer because of high int of the Barbarian. On top of that there would be the helmet bonuses.

So how would rate the lategame scaling of nature goodlike vs. Human for barbarian?

I Also think of of going as a fire godlike as a paladin (nice roleplay) but their passive seems to be awful. +4 damage reduction and +2 burn damage to attackers. According to pillarsofeternity.fandom that ability doesn't even scale. Am i missing something out here?

So i really want to play with a godlike (nature-barbarian or fire-paladin) but it would kind of ruin the fun for me when my main character would fall of lategame.

I really looking forward you opinion on this topic 🙂

Thank you and best regards

Daniel

Battle Forged (Fire Godlike) scales its base damage really nicely - but it's only worth it if you build around it a bit imo.
Like here: 

or here:

The rest of the Godlikes' racial abilities is not worth it imo, given the good helmets you can get (see Tempered Helmet or Company Captain's Hat for example). Moon Godlike is very good in the early game, but not later in the game imo. The rest: nah... Just my personal experience of several playthroughs though and only related to the mechanics. From a roleplying point of view it may look completely different of course. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thank you for your answer. It's a bit sad that most of the godlike scales weak.

Your Barbarian build looks really nice, maybe i'll do that. Monk would be too much micro management for me 😉

I am also thinking of going with a Fire godlike Paladin. I think that the fire godlike passive, synergize good with FoD, sacred immolation and scion of flame because all focus on fire. Should work right?

5 hours ago, Ac1d said:

I am also thinking of going with a Fire godlike Paladin. I think that the fire godlike passive, synergize good with FoD, sacred immolation and scion of flame because all focus on fire. Should work right?

The synergy isn't jawdropping in terms of the mechanics of Battle Forged I think, but thematically it fits very well. If you combine the Firebrand Great Sword (from Forgemaster Gloves and/or Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer) with any weapon focus, Two Handed Style, FoD, Intense Flames and Scion of Flame you will not only get more fire theme goodness but also pretty monstrous FoD-damage. Little synergy with Battle-Forged: the flame shield of the Darcozzi Paladin stacks with Battle Forge iirc.

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hi, for little micro best choice imho is Paladin. As others pointed out, racial godlike is not awesome, battle forged is maybe the only ability that scales enough well till the end, and a paladin fire focused is a beatiful role playing character to grow up. For "power" point of view, best are racial talent AND headgear, human from this point of view are great paladin, but there are some others choices in my opinion: wild orlan have +10 all defense when attacked on will, for a defense focused paladin is a good choice, costal aumaua have more defense against prone and stunned, not to forget, mountain dwarves have +2 con (good for sacred immolation) and defense against poison and deases (not very impressive but still a defense improvement). By the way, I played a sturdy nature godlike paladin and he was a very good tanker, if you build your character the right way racial is not so crucial.

Edited by Chaospread
why the hell when I post it takes ONLY THE FIRST ROW of THE POST EVERY TIME???
  • Thanks 1