In the same way some effects from weapon are Melee and proc Swift Flurry, some others are Ranged and proc Driving Flight. Even if the most of weapon effects work fine with the Ring of the Marksman, Strategic Shot (Scordeo's Edge) or Sharpshooter's passive, they are not ranged in reality. 

Like in the other topic, I list here only the 100% chance to proc a Truly Ranged Effect :

• Thundercrack Pistol : Overload (paralize on crit) vs fortitude

: Conductive Blast (not the upgrade)vs reflex, 1/rest

• Xefa's Empirical Explication : Matter Repulsion (knocked back on crit, vs fortitude

: Inexplicable Mass ( Knock prone on crit), vs fortitude

• Spearcaster : Forceful Impact (50% chance to knockback and daze on hit), vs fortitude

: Arcane Bolt (15% chance to cast Minoletta's missiles on crit),

; Pinning ( 20% chance to immobilize on hit), vs fortitude

: Skewer (multiple target bolt) 2/rest, vs defl. & fortitude for immoilized and pushed

• Watershaper Focus Brackish Arc ( Sicken on crit) vs fortitude

There are some others like with smaller chance or specific target like  A whale of a Wand (Beast Imagined, Sea Stories, Woven Waves (5% chance for each effect to proc), Keybreaker Scepter (Revelation, frighten kith on crit), The Eye of Wael (Illusive Spell, 5% chance to cast a random spell on hit, Shrouded Strike, 10% chance to random affliction on target on crit),Amaliorra (Bend the Will & Break the Will on crit vs kith or wilder, Claim the Will & Claim the Husk abilities),  Dragon's Dowry (Serpent's Rage ability), The Weyc Wand (Muddling Bolts, 25% chance to confuse target on crit), Windsong (Loose the Wind, 30% chance to deal freeze damage on crit), Aaminaa's Legacy (precison Impact and the upgrade), Amira's Wing (Forceful Gust, 5% chance to interrupt and knock prone on hit), Veilpiercer (Disruptive Arrow ability), and Rod of the Deep Hunter (Crashing Surf Ability).

More funny, there is also Preparing the Offering (ability from Sanguine Greatsword), Ball Lightning (Lord Darryn Voulge)  and Necrotic Heart (and upgrade) from Voidwheel ! Also, The Pain Persits (not Instruments of Pain) is Ranged Weapon, and fists bounces (but dont trigger Swift Flurry anymore).

All these effects are Ranged - Weapon, so they trigger Avenging Storm and bounce with Diving Flight, but also profit to some bonuses like Marksman (Ranger) and Shootist ( Alcina's Tricorn)*. 

More clearly, Conductive Blast is really devastating with a ranger (especially with Avenging Storm, each hit from the ability cause 1 lightning and bounce with a lightning, an each hit and bounce can crit, causing Overload that cause one lightning and bounce with another lightning, and can also crit causing a new Overload (an new lightning) and bounce (with a lightning) etc.

Xefa Empirical Explication can, with Driving Flight and Avenging Storm, create a lightning "cone", and with Whirling Strike and really good acc, it is like a Lightning Show. Of course, it is not the "explosion" that Hand Mortar make, but it is valuable : 4*2 bullets that can trigger 2 effects per bullet on crit that bounce and can create 2 new effects on crit that bouce etc with one lightning for each proc and bounce.

The Watershaper Focus is also really great because of the modal, the +1 bounce, Driving Flight and so the 3 AoE that can proc some crit that trigger Backish Arc that bounce and can also crit, causing a new layer of Backish Arc, that bounce etc. Of course, witout Avenging Storm, that is not really impressive, but with it, that look like one of the most powerful weapon for ranger.

136442855_arctrouble.thumb.png.5dc647e3a73848f0a12d000299ed1cc4.png

* : about Shootist from Alcina Tricorn, that work also for most of the spells, and with the combinason of Sky Dragon Wurm (+3acc for >4m target), Boras (+5acc with Spells), Sagani Ressentiment (+2acc for >4m target), the wearer gain +15acc with spells. In this case of the wearer is the ranger, +15acc with weapon (+10 above + ring of the Marksman) and +15acc with Avenging Storm. 

Edited by Constentin Lévine
  • Like 3

(Sorry I cant post several GIF on a unique post)

Auto-attack with the Xefa Empirical Explication (Matter Repulsion, Innexplicable Mass, Avenging Storm) :Sans-titre11.gif.bd44503797ad11ecb6e8b8bbd3e2f4ea.gif

(These test was made with a Ranger-Monk, to try before the Mohora Tanga single target annihilation, so a Ranger Monk seems to be the best damage dealer vs single target AND very devastating vs group also.)

Edited by Constentin Lévine
  • Like 2

In my experience Ondra's Wrath (Watershaper's Focus) procs more often with Driving Flight (in addition to the build-in bounce). I guess you left it out because it's only a 5% proc chance?

However, together with the AoE and the two bounces it procs very reliably against bigger groups - and it's an AoE, too. It was nerfed though so it doesn't seem to proc itself anymore. It used to until I posted a certain build, ehem... ;)

one_shot_rotghast.gif?dl=1

You can also use Avenging Storm with Ondra's Wrath of course. It was overkill when Ondra's Wrath still triggered itself - but nowadays I guess it's worth it.

To my knowledge the Long Pain (and the upgrade to The Pain Persists) always was a dual wielded ranged weapon ("ranged fist") and woud not trigger Swift Flurry,HBD or Enervating Blows. Only Instruments of Pain does because it just takes the currently used melee weapon's range and alters it (*6).

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

44 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

In my experience Ondra's Wrath (Watershaper's Focus) procs more often with Driving Flight (in addition to the build-in bounce). I guess you left it out because it's only a 5% proc chance?

No, it is because Ondra's Wrath doesnt bouce with Driving Flight, but Brackish Arc does. You can see in the gif some enemies far away that the attack proc being afflicted several time by the Brackish Arc effect. In addition to Avenging Storm (to convert the affliction into damage), that cause a great amount of Lightning. 

But yes, Ondra's Wrath is great too!

1 hour ago, NotDumbEnough said:

Do these effects trigger Stunning Shots on a single class ranger?

Yes absolutely.

4 hours ago, Exanos said:

And now i want to restart with a SC ranger fo whirling strike with Xefa+AS... 😑  I'm not even lvl 10 with my ranger monk...🤬 I hate(love) you...

Maybe you can try with Maia ! Ranger-Monk is a good Watcher I think, my next watcher personally!

So how does Whirling Strikes work with ranged weapons? It requires a melee weapon to do, right? So is it just that you can dual wield a gun plus a melee weapon and Whirling Strikes will hit with both even though one is a ranged weapon?

That's pretty cool if so. I guess based on the gifs you guys posted it must be :).

13 hours ago, masterty66 said:

So how does Whirling Strikes work with ranged weapons? It requires a melee weapon to do, right? So is it just that you can dual wield a gun plus a melee weapon and Whirling Strikes will hit with both even though one is a ranged weapon?

That's pretty cool if so. I guess based on the gifs you guys posted it must be :).

That is working like you suspect, with a lot of weapon sets very potent for the ability. As melee weapon for these kind of attack (full-attack-in-AoE) I personally like Frostfall as melee weapon (the +20% hostile effect duration AoE -Dispersed Suffering- trigger with any weapon kill, and Encroaching Frost (10% chance to freeze for 4s on crit) work on any Frostfall attack (including Dispersed Suffering). 

• Like 2