Misc. Things

Megatron

Just some small suggestions that don't really warrant there own thread. They'll probably fix this stuff over the week, but holla anyway.

- 'Fix' the calendar. It's not really broken but it says you can add stuff, but you can't.

- Same with the photos

- Any possibility of no smileys?

- Mabye a board faq like about paid subscriptions or the rules for definite instead of all that Thou stuff

- Mabye a little more colour too see new threads, but I like the skin. Mabye alternative skins?

- Can we ignore users?

- Increase avatar size by 20x20.

- Don't choose mods based on previous board 'experience' plz

- Custom titles? Either set it up so we can have our own or something based on post-count like other forums.

Otherwise a good system, probably just teething or something.

>*

Ignore function is a must.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

There's always one or two people who find that after each line they put a smiley :D

After a while I find this annoying, as most of there posts just seem to be dripping of estrogen and setting up there posts so they can end with a smiley :angry:

I find slimeys just to be a lazy way of expressing yourself and isn't too subtle <_< It's also annoying viewing a board where smileys don't show up, but the code for them still does so you have words :in between these: :(

Plus they're ugly. Why these yellow deformed heads? I can understand mabye having the normal smiley and mabye seperate symbols besides stupid looking faces, other than that they're just ugly yellow blobs that seem to lower your intelligence and look stupid. :huh:

If you can think of a positive reason for having them, feel free to reply :)

>*

The smilies are supposed to convey meaning and/or emotion in a medium that often offers the potential for a lot of misunderstanding. Considering the poor writing skills of many forum members, it's really no wonder. I agree that they can sometimes be overused (I hope someone has tested a limit on multiple smiley use in these forums :huh: ), but that's no reason to shut them down. Unless you mean just a switch to turn them off so that you can't see them, while they remain for everyone else who has them on. In that case, I'd support you 100%. Afterall, I'm always up for more user customization.

You can have it so you don't see the graphics, but the :codes: and :huh: are still there.

The only good thing about smileys is mabye being able to do sarcasm properly, which also could be a bad thing. A simple :( can be used to show you're happy, joking or get away with saying horrible things.

I can understand how some people couldn't write how they feel, but I'd prefer a little more words than just copping out. Same with writing stuff like lol or wtf.

Perhaps I'm just an **** though. :)

Or it could be personal preference. Personally my preference is I want people to at least attempt to write properly and put a bit of effort into saying how they feel. It'd be like talking to someone in real-life and half-way through a sentence they start grinning because they can't think of a suitable word.

>*

I can understand how some people couldn't write how they feel, but I'd prefer a little more words than just copping out. Same with writing stuff like lol or wtf.

Perhaps I'm just an **** though. :(

Oh, I agree. People are lazy. The less effort you have to put into something the better is a popular motto for many folks.

Is this board rated mature for the use of offensive language and blunt instruments that maim and destroy property? :huh:

I find that 60x60 suits me just fine. There's no reason to change that. The avatars look cute and compact at this size and they because they don't take up a lot of space, they aren't very distracting.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

I find that 60x60 suits me just fine. There's no reason to change that. The avatars look cute and compact at this size and they because they don't take up a lot of space, they aren't very distracting.

Agreed. The max size for avatars is currently 64x64, max 80k. Photos can be in the following formats: .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, or .png. If you try to upload a .tga, .bmp, or .tif, it won't work.

Regarding everything else:

- Calendar: I'll email the admin and see if he can remove the 'add entry' from the board code.

- Photos should be working (I uploaded mine)

- You can turn off smilies in your control panel under Board Settings (although it will filter out other posted images too.)

- Based on this lovely opening weekend, I'll be working with the admin and other mods on new guidelines. Please note you can access them from any page on the board - Look in the upper left hand corner of each page for the "Forum Guidelines" link.

- Skins take a while to make, but if you have suggestions from other boards that might help. I do know this software was modified quite a bit so they'd need to be customized somewhat.

- Ignoring user's posts, that's coming soon, but isn't part of the software quite yet.

- User titles *are* based on post count. Think of each post as an experience point...

The photos don't seem to be enabled for us normal users, Seraphim.

Here's the error I get when I try to "Change Personal Photo"

No access permissions

Sorry, the board administrator has not enabled your permissions for this part of the control panel.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

There should be a limit people can put Images in their signatures as well. I've come across serveral posts where the Signature+Image >>> original post. I don't mind sigs though, but a limit to the size would be nice.

Edit: didn't notice the other thread about sigs. Consider this part of that thread then.