Is a priest a good idea for a first / blind playthrough?

Only played until Neketaka. Between managing dispositions, acting in a way consistent with the god's philosophies, and the gods' relation to the main story, is being a priest a good idea for a blind playthrough? Especially if I'm not planning to be a 100% hardline supporter of the god? I love priest abilities, but I'm just a bit worried I'm going to be stuck having to choose between what I want to do and what the character would do in that situation, and end up constantly second guessing if my character is still valid.

See, I once stopped a playthrough of BGEE and BG2EE because my paladin lied about the illitihium and I could never return to that character.

Since Priests in PoE/Deadfire don't get their powers directly from the gods

there are ranks of dedicated adventuring or mercenary priests who have turned the flame of their faith into a spark to ignite the power of their souls. Such men and women have found a divine link to their chosen deity, but their abilities stem solely from within.

I think they are more free to disagree with certain takes of the gods during the course of the game - as long and their core dispositions still align (Eothas: Honest & Benevolent, Berath: Stoic/Rational and so on). I don't think that's very hard to do. Two extreme examples are actually two official Priest companions in both games (Durance and Vatnir). They both don't agree with large prts of what their good do/did but still share some core values - so they are still believable priests of their deity. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods