Anime and Manga - < To Be Continued I \ I /

PK htiw klaw eriF

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Seeing as it's a Satoshi Kon film that I've more or less recommended a couple of different times in this thread series, why yes, I suppose I would rather like it! :p

That's what I get for not using the search function lmao.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

33 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

That's what I get for not using the search function lmao.

Eh...it's probably not very easy to search for just "memories" in the off-topic section, to be fair - easier for me when I can make it search for just my own posts because I knew I mentioned it a few times, :p. Actually, I pretty much refuse to ever search for anything unless I know whose post I'm searching for - the search results are way too chaotic if you don't enter a post author.

Kon's Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue, and Millennium Actress are even better than his Magnetic Rose, IMO...but I still love Magnetic Rose - dark and atmospheric/moody/oppressive sci-fi is really my ideal sci-fi.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

20 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Eh...it's probably not very easy to search for just "memories" in the off-topic section, to be fair - easier for me when I can make it search for just my own posts because I knew I mentioned it a few times, :p. Actually, I pretty much refuse to ever search for anything unless I know whose post I'm searching for - the search results are way too chaotic if you don't enter a post author.

Kon's Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue, and Millennium Actress are even better than his Magnetic Rose, IMO...but I still love Magnetic Rose - dark and atmospheric/moody/oppressive sci-fi is really my ideal sci-fi.

Well I feel slightly better about not searching now.

I don't say this lightly, but Magnetic Rose is probably the closest thing to recreating the sci-fi horror of Alien. It's very well layered and ends on the perfect note. It very much creeped me out, I'm going to try and find the rest of Memories.

I've been watching a ton of anime and will be trying to get my film backlog cut down, so for the near future I'm going to be mostly watching movies for anime.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I don't say this lightly, but Magnetic Rose is probably the closest thing to recreating the sci-fi horror of Alien. It's very well layered and ends on the perfect note. It very much creeped me out, I'm going to try and find the rest of Memories.

Hah, wow, I literally had Alien in mind when I was writing my previous post, because Alien is...exactly what I wrote there - dark/atmospheric/moody/oppressive sci-fi, aka my jam. Mind you, they're pretty different kinds of films by most measures, but they give a similar kind of feeling. I was pretty blown away by it the second time I watched it. I liked it on the first watch, but the second watch was way more powerful - that sometimes happens to me, and actually, that was true of Kon's Millennium Actress for me as well (which turned from a film that I 'liked' into easily one of my all-time favorites on a second viewing). I'll re-watch Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, and maybe Paprika someday as well - maybe they'll be better for me on a second watch as well.

Edited by Bartimaeus
used "mind you" twice in a row, I am le bad writer
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Just now, Bartimaeus said:

Hah, wow, I literally had Alien in mind when I was writing my previous post, because Alien is...exactly what I wrote there - dark/atmospheric/moody/oppressive sci-fi, aka my jam. Mind you, they're very different kinds of films by most measures, but they give a pretty similar kind of feeling. I was pretty blown away by it the second time I watched it. Mind you, I liked it on the first watch, but the second watch was way more powerful - that sometimes happens to me, and actually, that was true of Kon's Millennium Actress for me as well... I'll re-watch Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, and maybe Paprika someday as well - maybe they'll be better for me on a second watch as well.

What a coincidence.

I think both Alien and Magnetic Rose are essentially haunted house in space. They're different in many ways, obviously, but that's the commonality I thought of when watching it. And it fits very well, you have a crew that stumbles into a derelict structure and encounters...something. 

I do like the whole dark/moody/oppressive sci-fi, especially horror sci-fi, but I also prefer stuff that is absurdist or just plain ****ing weird. Frankly too much sci-fi, particularly near future stuff, never gets as weird or dumb as real life.

• Like 1

Great, I'm like gone for half a day and miss an opportunity to find the posts and link to them before the original author, once again looking like a creepy stalker or something. :p

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well, going to watch Memories tonight. While we are on the subject of Memories, has anyone watched Plastic Memories? I think you would like it @majestic. (let's see how wrong I am this time 😄)

It's 13 episodes long btw, so not that much of a commitment.

Edited by Sarex
  • Hmmm 2
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

Great, I'm like gone for half a day and miss an opportunity to find the posts and link to them before the original author, once again looking like a creepy stalker or something. :p

Should have pulled yourself up by the bootstraps and erased time.

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Well, going to watch Memories tonight. While we are on the subject of Memories, has anyone watched Plastic Memories? I think you would like it @majestic. (let's see how wrong I am this time 😄)

Maybe it will drive him insane and bring forth the anti-universe? That's probably healthier than the imaginary Star Trek.

• Gasp! 1

1 minute ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Maybe it will drive him insane and bring forth the anti-universe? That's probably healthier than the imaginary Star Trek.

At this point shooting himself in the foot is healthier than Discovery.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

At this point shooting himself in the foot is healthier than Discovery.

I guess cancelation will be the only salvation. That or...

e38.png

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

The plot blurb for Plastic Memories sounds an awful lot like Blade Runner.

Instantly reminded me of this Beat in Black music video:

Well if Blade Runner was slice of life.

• Hmmm 1

Well if Blade Runner was slice of life.

Blade Runner isn't a slice of life? Who among us hasn't seen a guy die on a rooftop after lamenting the things he's seen disappearing?

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Blade Runner isn't a slice of life? Who among us hasn't seen a guy die on a rooftop after lamenting the things he's seen disappearing?

Well there is slicing and there is life, soooo.....

Finished Magnetic Rose. It wasn't scary for me, although I could see the comparison to Alien. Other than that it was solid enough. Reminds me of Shinichi Hoshi stories somewhat.

• Gasp! 2

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Finished Magnetic Rose. It wasn't scary for me, although I could see the comparison to Alien. Other than that it was solid enough. Reminds me of Shinichi Hoshi stories somewhat.

firefox_xqzQveYHFz.png

Spoiler

Maybe not exactly "scary" in the same way Alien was, but I definitely thought it was oozing tension, :).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Thanks for the recommendation, at the moment I have way too much to finish to start something new (not just anime), so... yeah, might be a while.

However, I also just discovered something that's probably worth ALL of our attention. So, I'll be so bold and suggest a new watch project, there's only three episodes for now, I think, and it's a running series that has ratings so abysmal not even the anime nerd community thinks it's good (1.8/5 on Crunchyroll).

World's End Harem (終末のハーレム)
actual title more like "the last harem" or "final harem", but the translation is fine in context

No, really. That's exactly what it is about.

Here's the Wikipedia blurb:

In the year 2040, Reito Mizuhara is a young man who is put into cryostasis while awaiting for a life-saving treatment to be developed in order to cure the rare disease he suffers. Five years later in the year 2045, Reito awakens to discover that, in this period of time, an extremely lethal and contagious virus called the MK (Man Killer) has emerged, which mysteriously affects only males, causing the death of about 99.9% of the world's male population except for approximately one million survivors who were put into cryostasis before being infected. Much to his surprise, Reito also learns that he is one of five men in Japan who somehow developed immunity to the MK Virus and, as a result, is required to participate in a breeding program by impregnating as many women as possible so that their children can replenish the world's population. While Reito investigates the secrets surrounding the MK Virus and the mysterious disappearance of his girlfriend Elisa Tachibana, the series also shows the perspective of the other men who have developed immunity to the MK Virus, each with their own circumstances.[4]

As you can see with all the links and footnotes, this really is just a copy. I'm not making this up at all.

Look at this awesome screenshot (don't worry, it's censored):

Worlds-End-Harem-4.jpg?resize=626,351&ss

Seriously... seriously... I want to add that this censoring is apparently IN the video, look at the subtitles being over it. Why make an anime called World's End Harem and then censor it for TV broadcast?

Also, lol, comments from reviews:

By the way, there are three spinoffs and one of them if about five girls in a world with only men.

Well doesn't that sound legitimately awesome. Can't wait for that to be turned into an anime.

If you wonder about the weird censors, it's a nod to the censors used for the chapters that were published in the online version of Shounen Jump.
Also, if you are turned off by MC's self-righteousness, I urge you to continue. The series shifts perspectives to show how all numbers adapt to the new world and, judging by the opening, they are, at the very least, going to get to number 3's arc which was the one that saved the manga.

See, some character arc in there saves the manga. Yep. Bring it on, save the manga please. Save it from what?

Honestly guys, I'm really close to just CTRL + A, SHIFT+DEL my entire anime folder.

anime-fans-worthless-miyazaki-meme.jpg

570.gif

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

That was actually already on my watch list - I saw the first episode a while back and surprisingly thought it was pretty decent and was going to watch more at some point.

Spoiler

boratnot.jpg

I don't have an anime folder - favorite shows go into the same "Television" folder that every other normal show goes into. So I guess I can't ever threaten to delete it in an off-hand fashion, :(.

Edited by Bartimaeus
had to fix wording just to make certain that I couldn't get Kaine Parker signature quoted in horribly embarrassing fashion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't have an anime folder - favorite shows go into the same "Television" folder that every other normal show goes into. So I guess I can't ever threaten to delete it in an off-hand fashion, :(.

It's an empty threat on my end as well, but hey... I mean... I don't know what I've done that made this pop up in my feed. There's a world of a difference between looking for the Magic User's Club lullaby and getting a trailer for this... trash.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 6:36 AM, majestic said:

Well, here goes a follow up. Warning, contains some more discussion of porn.

cq2r1jnkx4c31.jpg

On 1/21/2022 at 10:00 PM, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Anyways....I watched a ton of GioGio’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind. The gang goes to Capri then ends on on a road trip to Venezia where they crash several vehicles on the way, because even when JoJo is also DIO taking transportation ends badly.

78866e4da1ee507e02177cf009ab1b94e721065d

23 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Unless you were something damaged by water, like the God emperor worm in Dune. But that would be something ****ty to be anyway, what kind of **** wants to turn into a worm?

tumblr_oh7vwcLBM81sq4537o1_500.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

sign.jpg

I'll just post one more thing before going to bed, and that's about the misquoted Miyazaki meme, because I usually don't like to use it. What he really did talk about was the sorry state the anime industry is in compared to how it was in the past, and that's something I can easily get behind. He blamed that on the prevalence of otakus amongst anime and managa artists (at least, I think that is what he really meant by it), creating an industry that produces what they want without having any perspective for the real world. That sounds harsh, and it probably is, but really, what else can you say when you're putting so much effort into creating your visions and then see the trash that's thrown out left and right?

It's probably not enough to explain what's going on, because there's a definite trend in entertainment to producing "safe" trash all the time. Films, TV shows, video games... why would anime be any different, and apparently that trash does well enough to perpetuate its existence - but so does dime a dozen shovelware.

I grew up prefering anime (without even knowing that it was anime) because it was more artistic than Western cartoons and didn't operate from what seemed to be the assumption that all its viewers are retarded. I know not all cartoons are like that, but the ones we had on TV were, by far and large, unless they were from the 60ies, like early Tom & Jerry or Bugs Bunny. It's just sad that everything's mostly trash now.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Attack on Titan 76-78, the Final Season Part 2

I hope they don't slow things down, because it is quite interesting so far.

Spoiler

So many people near Pieck and they just fall to her trick? Didn't anyone notice that nobody killed her?

Not sure I understand what was going on at the end, with Eren and the place he was, but I don't think it will end well for Reiner.

sign.jpg

Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran, episode 11.

It seems like almost each of these can be summed up by stating that Myao is retarded, but oh boy is she ever. You'd think that'd get old after a while, but somehow it just doesn't. It keeps being funny, even though something at the back of my head tells me that laughing at the antics of the mentally handicapped is kind of wrong, but hey, she's fictional... :p

edit: Right, forgot to mention, the rest of the episode was about how vengeance killing is stupid and Bushido is stupid, both things I can agree with. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, majestic said:

Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran, episode 11.

It seems like almost each of these can be summed up by stating that Myao is retarded, but oh boy is she ever. You'd think that'd get old after a while, but somehow it just doesn't. It keeps being funny, even though something at the back of my head tells me that laughing at the antics of the mentally handicapped is kind of wrong, but hey, she's fictional... :p

edit: Right, forgot to mention, the rest of the episode was about how vengeance killing is stupid and Bushido is stupid, both things I can agree with. :p

Yep:

On 12/17/2021 at 4:59 AM, Bartimaeus said:

Carried by the Wind: Samurai Ran, episode 11...the episode in which Ran, a samurai, basically says and proves that all the trappings of samurai and their pride and honor are all stupid.

Although, to be fair, anytime anyone has called her a samurai in the show, she has simply called herself a traveller instead, so maybe she's actually not. Actually, yeah, now that I think about it, she's not really the least bit like a samurai except for being skilled with the sword, so that makes more sense than not that she wouldn't actually be one. Plus...you know, I guess women can't actually be samurai - it's just as well, really, seeing as samurai are dumber than even Myao.

Speaking of samurai, I have been taking a short detour from anime in favor of finishing up the last two seasons of Samurai Jack. Though, my neck imploded this morning, so I'm probably not really much doing anything at all for the next couple of days until it heals at least a little.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Though, my neck imploded this morning, so I'm probably not really much doing anything at all for the next couple of days until it heals at least a little.

Yikes, hopefully that'll get better soon. :(

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yep:

On 12/17/2021 at 11:59 AM, Bartimaeus said:

Carried by the Wind: Samurai Ran, episode 11...the episode in which Ran, a samurai, basically says and proves that all the trappings of samurai and their pride and honor are all stupid.

Although, to be fair, anytime anyone has called her a samurai in the show, she has simply called herself a traveller instead, so maybe she's actually not. Actually, yeah, now that I think about it, she's not really the least bit like a samurai except for being skilled with the sword, so that makes more sense than not that she wouldn't actually be one. Plus...you know, I guess women can't actually be samurai - it's just as well, really, seeing as samurai are dumber than even Myao.

I've been... no, wait, that's the wrong way around, everything about this show has been breaking my brain in unintended ways as I watch episodes for clues about when exactly this is supposed to play and whether or not anything at all is period appropriate. The actual samurai on the show carrying a katana and a wakizashi really implies Edo period, the knowledge of electricity late Edo at that, on the other hand there's plenty of people carrying tantō too - not only was having those really limited to samurai, actual forging of the short swords (more like daggers, really) was severely reduced during the Edo period due to samurai essentially switching from tachi/tantō to a katana/wakizashi combination.

The latter sword wasn't just limited to samurai (unlike katanas), but were als allowed to be carried by higher standing members of other castes.

Either way, assuming for a moment Ms. Moonlit Ran the Windborne was a samurai regardless of being a woman (who of the appropriate cast were allowed special, shorter tantō for self-defense, if I remember correctly), her lack of having a wakizashi could be the reason she's wandering around. Losing one of your blades was a decently quick way to get dishonored. Would fit her character to forgo commiting seppuku and take off.

Either way, I'm overthinking this way too hard. :p

• Like 1