Suggestion: Make a pure turn-based combat RPG

Revolver

I own the BG series and all the NWN expansions, but I didn't get TOEE b/c 1) I wasn't familiar w/ the module or the Greyhawk setting 2) The story didn't focus on a single character 3) When I first heard of it, all the bad reviews about the bugs and lack of roleplaying were already out

I was really looking forward to TOEE but was somewhat disappointed by the quantity of bugs so I haven't bought it yet. Just played the 6 hour trial. I really liked the engine and the combat and the rules implementation. Since it is turn based, I definately would have bought it if it wasn't for the bugs. I am waiting for Steve Moret to do a few more patches before I will consider buying it and by that time it may less than $30 so should be a good deal for the money, regardless of the lacklustre plot and disappointing side quests. If it wasn't for these negatives, TOEE would have lasted longer in the top ten list on NPD's numbers than the two weeks it was number 5. Word got around.

@Greatjon: Theres no workaround that will diminish it, and adding more workarounds in a system which is already a major workaround to two different systems will start compromising its integrity. If you state that an RTWP system is useful in allowing players to get more control in everything during combat, then you can't approve of removing control (in this case, the inability to cancel already activated actions) because that is one of the ideas behind a RTWP system. The main aspect we should realize here is that when you pause, you're effectively disrupting combat pace for your own reasons, sacrificing realism. If you take realism as a rule, a turn is unrealistic, but so is pausing, as its also an abstraction of realistic combat. One can't approve one and disaprove of the other based on which is more realistic.

As for the rest...

I agree with all those lines, except with point #7. Not because I dislike realistic combat, but because I don't see a reason as to why CRPGs should have realistic combat. Also, #7 and #1 will always conflict, and there is rarely, if ever, an acceptable middle ground.

I just put 7 in there to recognize that combat in a game is, in some way, trying to represent what would happen in real-life. This applies to all parts of the TB v. RT spectrum.

My preference for RTWP, as well as putting conflicting statements into that list comes a lot from part of my outlook on life. I think if there are two opposite sides in an issue, the best solution almost always lies somewhere nearer to the middle than to either end. The rest is in the details, which we've been going back and forth on for some time now. There's always a middle ground, and that's where I'll probably be.

ToEE was one of the worse modules I ever played in ADD. Never understod why they made a game on an old bad modul in a setting that is not used very much today.

Seeing how Greyhawk is now the default setting of D&D, i'd be wise to say many many people play it and just dont realize it.

And Living Greyhawk f***ing owns faces.

Down with Forgotten Realms!

ToEE was good because it was the basis of D&D, dungeons, loot and monsters, which is what the intial design of Greyhawk was, too.

Concidering that most suppliments thats been done is for Forgotten realm, from offical channals that is, I think even putting the greyhawk gods in the PH was kind of strange. I think they wanted to put some life back in that setting to sell more suppliments, but that it did not work out very well.

And now they are going to make a new world that they want us to buy, to increase sales. :p

I was really looking forward to TOEE but was somewhat disappointed by the quantity of bugs so I haven't bought it yet. Just played the 6 hour trial. I really liked the engine and the combat and the rules implementation. Since it is turn based, I definately would have bought it if it wasn't for the bugs. I am waiting for Steve Moret to do a few more patches before I will consider buying it and by that time it may less than $30 so should be a good deal for the money, regardless of the lacklustre plot and disappointing side quests. If it wasn't for these negatives, TOEE would have lasted longer in the top ten list on NPD's numbers than the two weeks it was number 5. Word got around.

I think it worked OK after the patch, not that it fixed the problem with allowing better customization of characters look (like skincolour :p ).

ToEE was one of the worse modules I ever played in ADD. Never understod why they made a game on an old bad modul in a setting that is not used very much today.

Seeing how Greyhawk is now the default setting of D&D, i'd be wise to say many many people play it and just dont realize it.

And Living Greyhawk f***ing owns faces.

Down with Forgotten Realms!

ToEE was good because it was the basis of D&D, dungeons, loot and monsters, which is what the intial design of Greyhawk was, too.

Concidering that most suppliments thats been done is for Forgotten realm, from offical channals that is, I think even putting the greyhawk gods in the PH was kind of strange. I think they wanted to put some life back in that setting to sell more suppliments, but that it did not work out very well.

And now they are going to make a new world that they want us to buy, to increase sales. :p

I think the plan all along was to have Greyhawk be fleshed out via the RPGA in its Living Greyhawk world. Even so, there were still some Greyhawk modules like Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and others.

greyhawk was put in as defacto setting; because they knew very few people would buy any extra books for it but they weren't quite ready to kill the setting so theyd ecided to force the setting on people. Funny thing is people ignore that part of the PHB with ease. Not that I ahte GH; 'cause I don't; but I think many of my fellow "D&D veterans" overrate it. It's simply a weaker, less popualr version of the FR, afterall.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I never said it was a copy. I said the differences between them are minimal at their bases - other than variant gods, and other world absed stuyff. Just because one came first; doesn't mean they're both not the same. GH came first, FR came in second, they basically took what worked in GH and expanded on it. GH slowly died out because of it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

nearly every JRPG was real-time (and darned annoying).

Even though TB rpgs can be good, having one really time does make it far more challenging. Admittedly they added pause functions to equal this out a bit, however if there were to real time RPG's then u wouldnt have BG2 (and that wouldnt be a good thing seeing as it is my favourite game).