I finished up a run where i made more of a conscious effort to use traps, and I discovered something dispiriting. At some point, the hazard durations on traps got broken (I wonder if it's related to Sparkcrackers no longer having a duration). This doesn't impact many traps (e.g. Chain Lightning still disorients for potentially huge amounts of time), but does impact Caltrops and Burning Ground, which are relatively common.

It used to be the case that I could kite enemies around on caltrops traps for quite a while, and the very long visible duration of the burning ground actually corresponded to the actual effects. However, now both of them last for a fraction of a second, pretty much only when they go off - Caltrops ticks for one or two times before having no effect, and Burning Ground basically only ticks once. They basically become useless (not that traps are typically game-changing).

It *seems* like this might be easily tweaked with a mod. So this is a request for someone to do that. (If Sparkcrackers are impacted by the same phenomenon, then pls fix that too).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thelee said:

I finished up a run where i made more of a conscious effort to use traps, and I discovered something dispiriting. At some point, the hazard durations on traps got broken (I wonder if it's related to Sparkcrackers no longer having a duration). This doesn't impact many traps (e.g. Chain Lightning still disorients for potentially huge amounts of time), but does impact Caltrops and Burning Ground, which are relatively common.

It used to be the case that I could kite enemies around on caltrops traps for quite a while, and the very long visible duration of the burning ground actually corresponded to the actual effects. However, now both of them last for a fraction of a second, pretty much only when they go off - Caltrops ticks for one or two times before having no effect, and Burning Ground basically only ticks once. They basically become useless (not that traps are typically game-changing).

It *seems* like this might be easily tweaked with a mod. So this is a request for someone to do that. (If Sparkcrackers are impacted by the same phenomenon, then pls fix that too).

I'm not expert about traps, so I leave discussion to other people. If you say so, I trust you that there is something to do.

It sounds like a very easy fix, so once you tell me what you want, I'll do it. I will make it part of my mod (in a separate file, as usual).

• Thanks 1

unfortunately I have no idea how long Caltrops is *supposed* to last, same with Burning Ground. The visual effect for the latter lasts until end of combat, but I'm not sure if that's how long the fire damage is supposed to last as well. I just remember in both cases I used to definitely be able to use them for much longer - kiting enemies through multiple caltrop traps back and forth, and I remember using Burning Ground in one of the bounty fights to help damage and re-shaken some of the enemies. Maybe that info is already in the game data and the connecting glue is simply broken? (Sparkcrackers still lists a duration IIRC but in practice it doesn't tick more than once anymore. If you compare to the Sparkcrackers granted by those gloves, you'll see that there's a difference).

18 minutes ago, thelee said:

unfortunately I have no idea how long Caltrops is *supposed* to last, same with Burning Ground. The visual effect for the latter lasts until end of combat, but I'm not sure if that's how long the fire damage is supposed to last as well. I just remember in both cases I used to definitely be able to use them for much longer - kiting enemies through multiple caltrop traps back and forth, and I remember using Burning Ground in one of the bounty fights to help damage and re-shaken some of the enemies. Maybe that info is already in the game data and the connecting glue is simply broken? (Sparkcrackers still lists a duration IIRC but in practice it doesn't tick more than once anymore. If you compare to the Sparkcrackers granted by those gloves, you'll see that there's a difference).

, {
            "$type""Game.GameData.AttackAuraComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
            "Duration"9,
            "VisualEffect""",
            "EffectAttachMode""Position",
            "EffectAttachPoint""Ground",
            "Scale""false"
        }]

Mmm,
Should be this value listed in the attack. Circle of protection has an AttackAuraComponent of 10s (and works).
Well, if it's there and it doesn't work, it looks like a hardcode bug.

Note that Sparkcrackers are a different kind of beast. Sparkcrackers are basically THE thieving item. If duration is changed, theft may become too easy.

3 hours ago, Elric Galad said:
Well, if it's there and it doesn't work, it looks like a hardcode bug.

*sad trombone noises*

is there like a broken reference or something between effect and item? I think what's interesting (might also just be a red herring) is IIUC that the auto tooltip for burning ground trap doesn't list a duration for the hazard, just a tick rate.

edit: i just noticed that (if wiki is accurate) this is standard for hazard effects, but the ability itself should list a duration (versus being attached to the effect). burning ground has a 0s duration.

3 hours ago, Elric Galad said:
Note that Sparkcrackers are a different kind of beast. Sparkcrackers are basically THE thieving item. If duration is changed, theft may become too easy.

sparkcrackers had like a duration of 1s and ticked every 1s. In practice it was extremely hard to get enough scaling to get more than two ticks. it only matters for offensive/niche uses, because it gives you multiple attempts at trying to distract targets. You can use a highly-scaled glove sparkcrackers and compare against item sparkcrackers and the theft-ability is no different (ticks are too fast).

i'm probably like the only person who noticed because my umezawa build relies on using sparkcrackers on self to trigger streetfighter bonuses, and it noticeably took a hit circa 4.0 or so because it got a little bit harder to consistently self-trigger streetfighter bonuses.

Edited by thelee

3 hours ago, thelee said:

edit: i just noticed that (if wiki is accurate) this is standard for hazard effects, but the ability itself should list a duration (versus being attached to the effect). burning ground has a 0s duration.

The Item: "Trap_Item_BurningGround" (without underscore between words) links to this ability:
"9532c2e3-ef26-493a-83de-0bd6866ee173" which is: "Trap_Item_BurningGround_Ability"
and links to:
"809b7234-8f81-4542-9d79-550572a2e7b4" which is : "Trap_Item_BurningGround_Ability_Attack" ... which indeed, has no duration.

meanwhile the "Burning_Ground_Trap" ability links to this attack: 

"3999697c-0a58-4791-8291-6393c8ca7a7d"which is "Burning_Ground_Trap_AttackPulseAoE", ...which has this component:

"$type""Game.GameData.AttackPulsedAOEComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
                    "Duration"9,
                    "PulseIntervalRate"3,

etc.

I can't find any item that links to the latter, though, so ... maybe the former one is a later model?

Edited by Svartypops
  • Thanks 1