Okay, I got my feet wet on turn-based combat. In particular, I was able to experience high-level turn-based combat, because I found you can switch combat mode in-game through console command "SetTacticalMode RoundBased." So I fired up a level 20 save and went at it for a bit. In so doing, the major lesson I got regarding stuns is that casting stuns are unreliable - or at least inconvenient - for someone who doesn't like to micro-manage too much for me. Non-cast stuns, however, are amazing. For instance, Monk Stunning Surge proved golden, because it coupled stuns with damage. Chanter Phrases were also useful, though they do not have the damage dimension.

So my question now is: What other good class stuns are available that are non-casts beside Stunning Surge and Chanter Phrases?

3 minutes ago, thelee said:

fighter gets a couple of stuns (charge and power/inspired strike).

are you mostly worried about the cast delay for spell-based stuns?

Thanks; I knew about the Fighter stuns. But I am less enthusiastic about them, because 1) Charge does no damage and only stuns 1 unless you micro-manage and get lucky; and 2) Power/Inspired Strike has a steep Discipline cost.

And yes, I am worried about cast delay. It was difficult - or at least bothersome - to precisely figure out when the cast will fire. I am so lazy! ;)

Monk is pretty much the king of stuns. Stunning Surge + AoE weapon (WotEP, rods + modal, hand mortars, Kalakoth's Minor Blights or Citzal's Spirit Lance) is very impactful and usually you get the refund because one of the AoE rolls will crit eventually. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

Monk is pretty much the king of stuns. Stunning Surge + AoE weapon (WotEP, rods + modal, hand mortars, Kalakoth's Minor Blights or Citzal's Spirit Lance) is very impactful and usually you get the refund because one of the AoE rolls will crit eventually. 

Yup; I noticed just running the Monk/Rogue double blunderbuss guy in PotD in my level 20 saved game. It was hard to notice the impact of the stuns as much in real-time with pause, but it is plainly transparent on turn-based.