A discussion about Mutations

Most useful Mutations you use regularly?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Most useful Mutations you use regularly?

• Grass Master
    • Rock Cracker
    • Juicy
    • Fresh Defense
    • Natural Explorer
    • Coup de Grass
    • Cardio Fan
    • Reliable Friend
    • Ant-nihilator
    • Lil Fist
    • Sharpshooter
    • Meat Shield
    • Buff Lungs

So, I really like the idea of the Mutations. Some are worded rather vaguely, however, leading me to have no idea what they are actually doing. I'd like to use this thread to have an in-depth discussion of the Mutations. What people think. What you like/dislike. Suggestions for future ones or changes to current ones.

I'll start us off.

Natural Explorer

"With each landmark found you gain a better understanding of the lay of the land. Your tiny feet traverse the yard like it's the back of your hand."

Well, first off I have no idea what this is even supposed to do. My first idea was having to do with getting between places (essentially like having a map memorized). The only thing I could come up with was Bonus Movement Speed. This is... partially true.

So, I did an experiment and unequipped everything; all gear, tools, and mutations. I then ran in a straight, flat surface until I had no stamina left. Measuring distances using all my various beacons, I figured out a normal, full bar of stamina let you run about 150cm. I did not try this experiment until my Nat. Exp. was at level 2, so I have some incomplete data here. However, after equipping level 2 explorer and doing the same test, I found I went an additional 13 to 15cm further before running out of stamina.

To make sure it was only boosted stamina for running, I counted how many times I could swing a dagger, both with and without the mutation. Both times were 20 swings.

CONCLUSION: Natural Explorer reduces the stamina cost for running by a small percentage per level of mutation. At level 2 it looks like around a 10% reduction. I'll test again once I hit level 3 to get more data, but I'm thinking level 1 would only be 5% reduction and level 3 will be 15% reduction.

MY THOUGHTS: Totally not worth it if you have other mutations you can choose, especially Buff Lungs.

Coup de Grass

"Discovering a beacon of hope in the darkness lifts your will to survive. Bursts of inspiration flash before your eyes in the heat of battle as you land blows one can only describe as lucky."

Chance to get crit shots? Heck yeah! But without damage numbers or a sound to indicate we got a crit, its very hard to tell exactly when they are going off and just how helpful they were.

I'd suggest some kind of small, unobtrusive sound that goes off whenever you land one of these hits. A bit of encouraging sound to go along with all the scary noises in the yard!

MY THOUGHTS: Chances to crit are ALWAYS good! It would be kind of cool if there was also a small chance to not consume items on use, like torches (just gives a bonus on burn time) or bandages/food/canteen (full-on refund of the whole thing).

Juicy

"Like a true bookworm, you can't resist a wall of text. A encyclopedic knowledge of beverage ingredients enriches you."

I really have no idea but I think it unlocked the smoothie recipes I didn't already have, which was only 1.

CONCLUSION; Literally what's the point?

MY THOUGHTS; Ummm, unless there are secret recipes I can only get by gaining his mutation, there's no reason to get it. *cough*google*cough* That being said, there is also literally no point in equipping this mutation if it only unlocks recipes. It doesn't re-lock them if you unequip it, so again, what's the point?

Personally, I think this mutation should add the Moist buff so you don't have to drink as often. I still wouldn't use it because water is plentiful, but at least then it would be useful.

Rock Cracker

"A path of destruction is left in your wake and it's clear that busting makes you feel good. Your little arms bring hammers down with an ever-growing efficiency."

So, this one confuses me. I think all it's trying to do is make it take less strikes to break rocks and clay, similar to Grass Master. But the way it implies bringing down hammers makes me want to think it reduces stamina cost for using two-handed weapons. I don't think it does, though.

MY THOUGHTS: Meh, if it only affects rock and clay breaking. Requires extra testing to determine if it reduces stamina cost of attacks. If it did, this would become top tier.

Fresh Defense

"A plume of mint dust envelopes you and sends a cool wave rippling through your skin. Cells activate a freshness layer to combat the sting of all that stinks and burns."

So, this SOUNDS like you gain extra defense points... somehow. My best guess is you gain bonus defense (armor) points AFTER you take damage from an attack. This is next to impossible to test properly, since there is no visual or audio cue as to when it activates (would be nice to see some "cool, minty vapors" floating around you), and there are no damage numbers in the game.

MY THOUGHTS; I really want to like this mutation. Bonus defenses against the rather tough enemies could be the difference between respawning or not.

Ant-nihilator

"The ant has become a familiar threat, and you begin to know your enemy inside and out. Death and devastation greet all ants that face you."

Pretty standard here. Bonus damage versus ants. I haven't actually tested it out to see how much more damage is done. I assume this would be useful when trying to go into the main ant-hill to collect eggs / ant drops for gear. But honestly you'd be better served just wearing the ant armor set so ants leave you alone.

CONCLUSION: Its fine, but ants are hardly a problem to fight.

MY THOUGHTS; Why only ants? Can we get a mutation vs. spiders?! Or those annoying bombardier beetles?

1 hour ago, Sylvia Rose said:

Fresh Defense

"A plume of mint dust envelopes you and sends a cool wave rippling through your skin. Cells activate a freshness layer to combat the sting of all that stinks and burns."

So, this SOUNDS like you gain extra defense points... somehow. My best guess is you gain bonus defense (armor) points AFTER you take damage from an attack. This is next to impossible to test properly, since there is no visual or audio cue as to when it activates (would be nice to see some "cool, minty vapors" floating around you), and there are no damage numbers in the game.

MY THOUGHTS; I really want to like this mutation. Bonus defenses against the rather tough enemies could be the difference between respawning or not.

i would think this would help protect from the bombardiers and stink bugs, but since I got it, I haven't noticed any difference in the damage taken with it enabled as prior to having it.  I'll have to test it further 

1 hour ago, Sylvia Rose said:

Ant-nihilator

"The ant has become a familiar threat, and you begin to know your enemy inside and out. Death and devastation greet all ants that face you."

Pretty standard here. Bonus damage versus ants. I haven't actually tested it out to see how much more damage is done. I assume this would be useful when trying to go into the main ant-hill to collect eggs / ant drops for gear. But honestly you'd be better served just wearing the ant armor set so ants leave you alone.

CONCLUSION: Its fine, but ants are hardly a problem to fight.

MY THOUGHTS; Why only ants? Can we get a mutation vs. spiders?! Or those annoying bombardier beetles?

Haven't noticed a difference on this one either.  agree we should get spiders and other bug types for it.

nothing else to add to your thoughts on the rest.  great post btw :) 

Xbox One X

Personally, I think this mutation should add the Moist buff so you don't have to drink as often. I still wouldn't use it because water is plentiful, but at least then it would be useful.

It's my understanding that, that's exactly what it does do.