Load after death

One thing that would take the frustration level down a bit would be to immediately bring up the load game screen upon the death of your party. It takes forever to go back to the main menu and then load.

Or else, in the few seconds immediately following your death (when the camera begins to move over your body) make it so that you can pause, go to the subscreen and load a game from there.

It would save some time and controller hurls.

One thing that would take the frustration level down a bit would be to immediately bring up the load game screen upon the death of your party. It takes forever to go back to the main menu and then load.

Or else, in the few seconds immediately following your death (when the camera begins to move over your body) make it so that you can pause, go to the subscreen and load a game from there.

It would save some time and controller hurls.

Akari said this feature was on his "To-Do" list. I do believe he was looking for feedback as to whether it should go to the Load Screen, or right to the last save.

I vote for the Last Save.

Yeah, last manual save makes the most sense. Either that or as soon as you die, a message comes up:

Continue from last save? : A button

Load Game Menu: X button

Quit: B button

...and from there if you didn't want to you could load an earlier game, quit etc.

Maybe it could be a preference, set in the setup menu.

Keep in mind that the point of changing this process would be to make loading faster after your characters die; if your characters were instantly respawned at another location, it might actually add time to the process of getting back to where you had your last save.

Also, having set places where you can save and load would change the game considerably, way beyond what the devs could do at this point. However, simply adding a pop-up menu after you die I imagine could be relatively simple to implement.

Akari said this feature was on his "To-Do" list. I do believe he was looking for feedback as to whether it should go to the Load Screen, or right to the last save.

I vote for the Last Save.

It should be put as an option in the options menu.

Upon main character death: Go to last (auto)save or save menu.

By default it should go to save menu.

Yeah, last manual save makes the most sense. Either that or as soon as you die, a message comes up:

Continue from last save? : A button

Load Game Menu: X button

Quit: B button

...and from there if you didn't want to you could load an earlier game, quit etc.

Maybe it could be a preference, set in the setup menu.

Bingo.

Good suggestion.

If you can make it through the entire game without dying once, more power to you; you have my repect. You won't have to worry about it, though, whether the existing process remains in place or gets changed, because you'll never encounter this situation if you never die.

However, there are parts of the game where you go solo, and in KOTOR putting off your leveling-up until you're a Jedi can also leave your character quite vulnerable. I died several times trying to beat Bendak as a Level 4, and it was frustrating having to wait for the menu to load up again and again. It's times like these that I'm talking about. They occur few and far-between, but it seems like such a simple change to implement, especially when you play the game the first time through and are more likely to get your ass handed to you.

However, there are parts of the game where you go solo, and in KOTOR putting off your leveling-up until you're a Jedi can also leave your character quite vulnerable. I died several times trying to beat Bendak as a Level 4, and it was frustrating having to wait for the menu to load up again and again. It's times like these that I'm talking about. They occur few and far-between, but it seems like such a simple change to implement, especially when you play the game the first time through and are more likely to get your ass handed to you.

well, i admit that i only managed staying alive at the 2nd play of the game. bendak kicked my ass over and over again the first time... until i figured out that it's easy to beat him once you're able to stun him with a plasma or concussion grenade. a nice tactic was to just keep running until he runs outta grenades

but you're right. a couple of more challenges like bendak throughout the game would be good. also, i don't know whether that was the case, but some opponents (the important ones) should adjust to the player level in order to stay threatening.

killing calo was easy, as well as darth bandon and malak.

the sith governor however was kindda hard, as well as bendak

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

I was planning on making all 3 options available on the message box that comes up.

Quit to main menu

Go to Load Game screen

And, if I get the approval (internally) to do so:

Load most recent save.

Would the most recent auto-save be good? Or would you rather have it be the most recent manual save? (Or quick-save on the PC version).

-Akari

I was planning on making all 3 options available on the message box that comes up.

Quit to main menu

Go to Load Game screen

Load most recent save.

Would the most recent auto-save be good? Or would you rather have it be the most recent manual save? (Or quick-save on the PC version).

-Akari

Hmmm... How about the most recent save, independently of whether it was manually or autosaved ?

People (me!) sometimes runs blindly into danger... :blink:

Sometimes the autosave is the newest, if the game doesn't autosave before you get yourself killed, your most recent manual save, whether quicksave or ordinary save slot, would be convenient. :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Quit to main menu

Go to Load Game screen

Load most recent save.

-Akari

YIPPIEEEEEE!!!

Would the most recent auto-save be good?

yeah, that's fine.

...we could make a poll outta this, though :rolleyes:

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

Another thing marginally related with this topic. I want to have savegames in separate folders of Game 1, Game 2 and perhaps Game 3 in the loading menu. Everybody who had ever tried to play 2 different characters/partys in a cRPG would recall inevitable frustration of having overwritten the wrong save :rolleyes:. This way it would be actually feasible to do 2 different playthroughs concurrently and without nerve-wrecking frustration.

Awesome! Thanks for the response, Akari. It'll make gameplay that much better.

As for what could load automatically, I would say most recent save (of either kind), and if that is not possible, then last manual save.

Unless most of you others use the auto save more? I wind up almost never using it, unless I went a while without manual saving.

Another thing marginally related with this topic. I want to have savegames in separate folders of Game 1, Game 2 and perhaps Game 3 in the loading menu. Everybody who had ever tried to play 2 different characters/partys in a cRPG would recall inevitable frustration of having overwritten the wrong save :huh:.  This way it would be actually feasible to do 2 different playthroughs concurrently and without nerve-wrecking frustration.

Saves will be listed by character now, so you don't have to sort them into folders yourself. That would require you to come up with at least a slightly different character name for each playthrough though.

-Akari