Please don't put a level cap

The level cap in the first game took away something from the game. Most of the fun of an RPG is leveling up your character and making your character grow. When you put a level on how much your character can grow it subtracts from the fun of building a character. Level caps end the customization of a character, which takes away from the fun of the player. :o

The level cap in the first game took away something from the game. Most of the fun of an RPG is leveling up your character and making your character grow. When you put a level on how much your character can grow it subtracts from the fun of building a character. Level caps end the customization of a character, which takes away from the fun of the player. :o

Wrong.

The level cap in the first game took away something from the game. Most of the fun of an RPG is leveling up your character and making your character grow. When you put a level on how much your character can grow it subtracts from the fun of building a character. Level caps end the customization of a character, which takes away from the fun of the player.  :o

Wrong.

You can't just tell me Im wrong, I have valid points.

The level cap in the first game took away something from the game. Most of the fun of an RPG is leveling up your character and making your character grow. When you put a level on how much your character can grow it subtracts from the fun of building a character. Level caps end the customization of a character, which takes away from the fun of the player.

Is it nice being able to do everything? Sure. But is it good RP? No. It is also not realistic.

Yeah, it really sucks that the level of realism in our FANTASY ROLE PLAYING GAMES is so low.

Sometimes realism is good for games. Sometimes it isn't. But I don't think we should all dance with fairies and chat with gods etc just because it's a fantasy setting. Even fantasy setting follow their own internal rules for things. I also didn't complain in any way for more realism in my games. I just pointed out that in this particular instance it is unrealistic and detracts from the game. As you point out though it is a ROLE PLAYING game. And I was attempting to point out how level caps add to the role playing.

I understand. I'm just sticking up for the guy who started the topic.

Sucks to go it alone. Anyway, Some are power gamers and like this stuff. Some artificially restrict their levels to make it more challenging. I'd prefer if the devs allowed us to level up infinitely and allowed us to cheat and allowed us to do whatever we please and then allow us to choose how we want to play. If you want a level cap... just stop levelling up. Then when you've tried that enough times, you can try something else and be happy with the game for a longer period of time.

That's just me, though.

I understand. I'm just sticking up for the guy who started the topic.

Sucks to go it alone. Anyway, Some are power gamers and like this stuff. Some artificially restrict their levels to make it more challenging. I'd prefer if the devs allowed us to level up infinitely and allowed us to cheat and allowed us to do whatever we please and then allow us to choose how we want to play. If you want a level cap... just stop levelling up. Then when you've tried that enough times, you can try something else and be happy with the game for a longer period of time.

That's just me, though.

Good points. At the least you'd need the manual to point out that going over level 20 is a bad idea or the game becomes broken though. And you'd also have to make sure the gads and gads of casual gamers realized (and they never do) that this wasn't the recommended way to play the game. Or you'd hve all kinds of posts like this game is SO easy. Whine whine whine. And " I am at level 500! How much further do I have to go to reach the cap/end?"

I understand.  I'm just sticking up for the guy who started the topic.

Sucks to go it alone.  Anyway, Some are power gamers and like this stuff.  Some artificially restrict their levels to make it more challenging.  I'd prefer if the devs allowed us to level up infinitely and allowed us to cheat and allowed us to do whatever we please and then allow us to choose how we want to play.  If you want a level cap...  just stop levelling up.  Then when you've tried that enough times, you can try something else and be happy with the game for a longer period of time.

That's just me, though.

Good points. At the least you'd need the manual to point out that going over level 20 is a bad idea or the game becomes broken though. And you'd also have to make sure the gads and gads of casual gamers realized (and they never do) that this wasn't the recommended way to play the game. Or you'd hve all kinds of posts like this game is SO easy. Whine whine whine. And " I am at level 500! How much further do I have to go to reach the cap/end?"

Do casual gamers really post that much?

J/K.

I just think we should be allowed to do what we please and let the confused ones figure it out just like we are. Personally, I wouldn't put a level cap just to avoid confusing some people. I'd also publish the cheat codes on the website and make tools for modding.

That's probably why I write banking software instead of games...

Hrm. <ponders>

That is hy a classless/levelless system is better.

Totally agree with you. Id like a game where you don't get much stronger at all. All you increase are your skills. HP and that kind of thing stay basically the same.

I would rather they lower the level cap from 30 to 25 or so. Just as long as it doesn't become as ridiculous as HoTU. It's really not that fun running around level 26 with your +10 longsword of mass destruction being able to accomplish any task set before you with great ease.

Do casual gamers really post that much?

J/K.

I just think we should be allowed to do what we please and let the confused ones figure it out just like we are. Personally, I wouldn't put a level cap just to avoid confusing some people. I'd also publish the cheat codes on the website and make tools for modding.

That's probably why I write banking software instead of games...

Hrm. <ponders>

They post to whine yes. :D And they buy the game.

Unfortunately you cant just let the majority of dumb gamers "figure" it out. That IS probably why you write banking software and dont make games. Itd be nice to just forget about them and make games for hardcore players only. :( Hey Itd make me happy. But its bad business.

At least really good games always inspire mods/cheats/editors which end up giving us most of that.

Totally agree with you. Id like a game where you don't get much stronger at all. All you increase are your skills. HP and that kind of thing stay basically the same.

It's called an FPS.

Seriously though, what kinds of games out there are using that system? I'm kind of at a loss to think of one right now. Not that I've looked very hard, mind you.

OT- Did you know that John Malkovich as agreed to work on an adaptation of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

Can't wait!

It's called an FPS.

Seriously though, what kinds of games out there are using that system? I'm kind of at a loss to think of one right now. Not that I've looked very hard, mind you.

OT- Did you know that John Malkovich as agreed to work on an adaptation of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

Can't wait!

Yeah Deus Ex for example. FPS with RPG elements. Skills and biomods instead of stupid levels. Heck it had a better story than most RPGs. I said Id LIKE to see one. Not that I enjoy playing such and such game because it does this. Just because it hasnt been done before doesn't mean its a bad idea. Developers and especially publishers are afraid to step away from the leveling treadmill. Can't blame them. the majority of gamers support clickfests and level grinds. If you ever needed an example of the stupidity of people...

As for Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy sounds exciting!

Personally I can't wait for the new season of Doctor Who. They got the lead actor of 28 Days Later to play the Doctor. Can't remember his name. :(

There's a reason for that...

Anyway, so the mods don't lock us for going off topic:

If only shareware was still popular. People could still write stuff for hardcore gamers and we'd be happy. And cancer would be cured.

If only it were the case that one person could write a decent game anymore. If there isn't a team of people writing the new whiz-bang graphics engine, nobody's buying. Hrm, C'est La Vie...

Hate to tell you but this game is based on the d20 Version of the game and frankly pushing it to 30 goes against its rules system as there are no epic levels in Star Wars d20.

Somehow I doubt you really hated to tell him this....I got to stupid and then I stopped reading this thread since there's little chance this will got anywhere with namecalling so soon.......

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Hate to tell you but this game is based on the d20 Version of the game and frankly pushing it to 30 goes against its rules system as there are no epic levels in Star Wars d20.

Somehow I doubt you really hated to tell him this....I got to stupid and then I stopped reading this thread since there's little chance this will got anywhere with namecalling so soon.......

There was no name calling. I said the idea was stupid. But if youre so sensitive this is name calling well...

HA! Name calling so soon! Read any post with 'Carth' in the title.

THERE's some Jerry Springer psotings for ya.