Beam spells hit twice per cast

Beam spells like "Ray of Fire", "Ectopsychic echo" and "Ninagauth's Death Ray" deal damage as you cast them and at the start of your next turn, this means they end up dealing double the displayed damage (and about double the damage they deal in Real Time With Pause). It's not so bad with Ray of Fire since it's pretty weak but Ectoposychic Echo and Ninagauth's death ray melt enemies dealing about 180 damage to multiple enemies with a power level 3/4 spell. I have only tried those 3 rays, I don't know what high level ray spells damage looks like

Cutting their damage to half should balance their damage while keeping them at 2 damage ticks so you still have to be carefull about positioning for its duration.

Save in the link bellow with some guards next to the party for testing.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1d0121kw7ai2qmc/Gorlim_(TheGullet)_(03d6e109-fb56-4150-a765-ef9741ac28a4)_(LAX-123ABCDEFGHI)_(923786998).savegame/file

793110357_Sinttulo.thumb.jpg.a3da6e93b46194d196ae36efa5b046a5.jpg

Edited by Ragniz
Adding a possible fix

I've read in a post that Obsidian is done fixing not gamebreaking bugs so I made a mod to cut in half Ray of fire (not the scroll spell), Ectopsychic echo and Ninagauth's Death Ray damage, that means if you play turn based they'll deal about the same damage they do in RTWP. IF YOU PLAY RTWP WITH THIS INSTALLED IT WILL JUST CUT IN HALF YOUR DAMAGE FOR NO GOOD REASON.

I've only tried it for a couple battles and it seems to work fine.

I'll keep adding uber beam spells I find as I play the game and maybe upload it to the nexus if nobody else makes something similar before. I think wall spells might have the same problem

BeamFixes.7z

On 5/12/2019 at 10:05 PM, Ragniz said:

Cutting their damage to half should balance their damage while keeping them at 2 damage ticks so you still have to be carefull about positioning for its duration.

What do you mean by "2 damage ticks"?

For reference, in RTwP Ectopsychic Echo has 10s duration and ticks every 1s.

Edited by MaxQuest

35 minutes ago, MaxQuest said:

What do you mean by "2 damage ticks"?

For reference, in RTwP Ectopsychic Echo has 10s duration and ticks every 1s.

In RTWP Ectopsychic Echo deals 7-13 crush every second for 10 seconds, for a total of 11 hits (or 11damage ticks) since it deals damage as soon as you cast it too.

In turn based mode it deals 38-72 twice, as soon as you cast it and at the start of your next turn.

And after doing the math I just realized they actually deal the same damage in turn based and RTWP, since their initial damage was so good I just assumed obsidian somehow screwed up.
I mean Ectopsychic Echo deals 76-144 BASE damage and you learn it at level 5

I'm still going to keep playing with the nerf since I think that even with a 50% damage nerf they're still top tier spells at their level.
Maybe I'll try tinkering with with the files and spread their damage over 3 rounds or something instead of lowering their damage.