Thanks for reading, I started a party and was annihilated my first big fight. I am trying to re-roll all my characters since it is not an Ironman run. My intention is to play a Wizard Envoker but most of the guides seem to suggest no specialization. The run is turn based  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1444955744

My main concern are which spells and abilities should I train? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is because that fight is extremely tough. Chances are that your party wasn't even bad. You can enter Gorecci Street from the other side (south), sneak past the first looters and solve the quest peacefully with only 40 bucks. Most fights after that encounter are a lot easier. Engwithan digsite is also hard, but not as hard.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Gorecci Street 101...

1. Level 4 Group (min) 

2. Take 5 people (main + 4 mercs   or   main + eder + xoti + 2 mercs)

3. Come from the South (significantly easier than northern approach)

4. Enter in stealth

5. Move to South-West corner of the main screen (near the corner of the southern most house)

6. Primary weapon is (Weapon + Shield) / Secondary weapon is (Bow)

7. Start with BOWs... From stealth, target the nearest looter from maximum range.  Everyone fire on first guy... he will only last for 2 salvos

8. Everything will aggro, but you have one less looter to deal with.  At this point, if you have a tank, switch him/her to Weapon + Shield and position a little ahead of party.

9. If you have Slicken or Chill Fog (preference), NOW would be a good time to cast right in front of your tank or most forward character - Everyone else fire on the next approaching looter with Bow (should be 2 that are close and another 4-5 approaching).  Take two shots max, and switch to Weapon + Shield

10. Spells... Damaging or CC are ideal to spam since most of the mobs are going to move closer to you (in a nice clump), especially if your Chill Fog has ruined their ranged casters/guns

11. Wolfpack tactics are a must, right until the last looter falls.  Which means focus your weapons/spells on closing down targets, then moving to another target. 

12. Stand in the middle of the square and savor the smell of blood, gunpowder, and low tide...  better known as the smell of victory. 

Honestly, it is one of the hardest battles in the game if you are unprepared or don't take it seriously.

Edited by heldred

7 hours ago, heldred said:

Gorecci Street 101...

1. Skip the fight, I say. 

Or bring along an assassin/bleak walker MC (max Might and Perception) with an arquebus. From stealth, weapon modal on, that one can one-shot most mobs on the street and re-stealth.

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

1 hour ago, Franknstein said:

1. Skip the fight, I say. 

Or bring along an assassin/bleak walker MC (max Might and Perception) with an arquebus. From stealth, weapon modal on, that one can one-shot most mobs on the street and re-stealth.

Skip the fight... what fun is that?   The next thing you are going to tell me is you spare the lives of the Bardattos and the Valeros...   🙄

Gorecci Street is an entertaining, challenging fight that offers multiple ways to win (solo, party, from stealth, overlapping debuffs, etc.).  I tend to always use a group and the easiest way I've learned to clear it at lvl 4 is with the "bow-salvo" approach to even the odds.  Head-to-head, without any trickery or tactics is a rough fight, especially from the northern approach (a few bad rolls will end your adventure).

I can't fathom paying money to avoid a brawl 🤑

That should be a challenge: Pugilist or A Glutton for Giving Punishment (never talk your way out of any fight and settle all interactions with combat... maybe for POE3).

4 hours ago, heldred said:

Skip the fight... what fun is that?   The next thing you are going to tell me is you spare the lives of the Bardattos and the Valeros...   🙄

I see you are a man of culture as well. "Death to both your houses!"