Changes / Feedback for turn-based

Pathfinding needs help.  Bad pathfinding wastes movement.  Worse in turn-based. Realtime you can pause and fix. Turn based you cannot.  Divinity Original Sin does not have pathfinding problems.

If staying following pathfinder / D&D pattern:

• would be nice to be able to convert standard / attack action to extra movement.
  • In pathfinder it is a standard (attack) action to reload a pistol / 1 handed firearm and a full-round (move+attack) action to reload a rifle / 2 handed firearm
  • Reloading crossbows I think should need reload time too. Arbalest - full round. Regular - standard action.
  • Exceptionally long casting times would also need multiple actions.

Current turn-based is over-valuing initiative. Worse than GURPS. But in GURPS while being very expensive secondary characteristic (basic speed), it also impacts dodge, Pillars of eternity initiative is just that - turn order.

I prefer Divinity Original Sin's action point system.  Dexterity would impact action point capacity and regen. Movement speed is distance per action point. Recovery time impacts action point cost.  Reloading time would impact action point cost. If reloading time (rifle & arbalest) makes it impossible for the fire-recover-reload to fit in a single round, then the reload and fire/recovery would be two separate actions.

I like Divinity Original Sin ability for split party and turn-based combat, especially for sneaking rogues.  The  rogues operate in realtime while those locked in combat are time-frozen. When a rogue's stealth is compromised (attack, discovered, etc..), he joins the initiative order at the end of the round (goes to natural next round) and becomes frozen in time until his turn comes up.

Hey Inca!

Thank you for the feedback with the Turn-Based Mode in Deadfire.  I'll put it into a report and send it to the team for review.  If you think of anything else, please feel free to add it as I will be linking this thread to the report to be used as a reference.

Thanks again for the help Inca!

Hopefully i'm not re-posting this but, the monk passive, i believe it is where you interrupt foes around you on damage taken while damaging them in an area, during turn based has a very deadly bug. When it triggers the *INTERRUPT* it resets the enemies attack. ex. a mob with a single attack hits my monk, the aoe thing triggers, it hits the enemy but the enemy attacks me again (still keeping the damage taken from the first auto attack).  One situation a wolf attacked me who had two attacks and the passive aoe triggered multiple times causing the wolf to attack my monk no less than 6-7 times.

Just a side note aswell i know it was noted why we cant swap between turn based and real time, but i think the extra work should be done to allow us to do so. its just silly not to be able to swap, when both the systems are already fully created and just need to revert to their original *numbers*

Hopefully i'm not re-posting this but, the monk passive, i believe it is where you interrupt foes around you on damage taken while damaging them in an area, during turn based has a very deadly bug. When it triggers the *INTERRUPT* it resets the enemies attack. ex. a mob with a single attack hits my monk, the aoe thing triggers, it hits the enemy but the enemy attacks me again (still keeping the damage taken from the first auto attack).  One situation a wolf attacked me who had two attacks and the passive aoe triggered multiple times causing the wolf to attack my monk no less than 6-7 times.

Just a side note aswell i know it was noted why we cant swap between turn based and real time, but i think the extra work should be done to allow us to do so. its just silly not to be able to swap, when both the systems are already fully created and just need to revert to their original *numbers*

It's my understanding that the intention is for these systems to diverge further. TB will require balancing and that will affect build viability between the 2 systems, for stats, items and powers.

I'll put in a second vote for the option convert a standard action into some amount of extra movement. The big set piece fights where you were fighting across on an entire map were some of my favorites in RTwP. Turn Based makes them tedious as you spend multiple rounds just moving.

• 2 weeks later...

Current turn-based is over-valuing initiative. Worse than GURPS. But in GURPS while being very expensive secondary characteristic (basic speed), it also impacts dodge, Pillars of eternity initiative is just that - turn order.

If a character with a higher turn order attacks an enemy with a lower turn order he should get a buff (for example + 5 accuracy) to make initiative more important.

Edited by Wizard1200

• 1 month later...

I think Action Points would be very difficult for them to implement ... but I also agree it would be a huge improvement, especially as a means of converting Action Speed into a usable stat. Right now, the only downside to totally tanking your Dex and Action Speed is lowering your Initiative, but regardless, you still get 1 turn per round, same as everyone else.

The current system (One action + Movement) seems to be based on tabletop rules, but the only reason we use those rules during tabletop instead of action points is because calculating the math for action points in real time is annoying. Video games get to circumvent that problem because they're magic.

So I guess this is me saying ... Hey Obsidian, if you CAN switch to a Action Point system, please do! It'd be amazing! 

Edited by Korica