Level scaling not working?

UnseeingWatcher

Question

2 answers to this question

So i got level scaling set to ALL

And Only Scaling Upwards is NOT ticked

Even so, both my quest journal AND several encounters on the world map have 1-3 skulls on them, clearly stating they are above my level.

No mods installed, no tweaks in settings.

What gives?

level scaling is limited to plus or minus 4 levels. so while it will bring down or uplift encounters to try to make things easier or make things harder, it will only do so to a point.

i think in part this is because level scaling can only do so much (even if a tiny xaurip could upscale all the way to level 20 it'd still have extremely lame abilities and be easy to deal with).

Expanding on thelee said, the limits of level scaling are also there to prevent you from just immediately finishing the story without doing any sidequests, why would you bother if the final boss scaled down to level 2? Even with level scaling you still need to do some prep work before you can tackle certain quests or encounters. That said, don't be afraid to fight things with one or two skulls, they're still definitely possible, it's only when things have red skulls (4 or more levels above you) that it gets really bad.