Chanters are probably my favorite class. I’m curious which summons people love, which are your favorites, most OP, etc. conventional wisdom is using skellies early and switching to Ogres and maybe the enchanted weapons later. Anyone like the wisps? Or spores? Like running a single class chanter so you can get the giant dragon as fast as you can?

Hit me with those chanter strats!!

Edited by Frog Man

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread.

I really Wonder if there is a point to have several summon abilities on a chanter (especially beckoner) build. I tend to stick with weapons.

Wyrm for focus fire ? Ogres for AoE attacks ? Spore for Charm Spam ?
Or just to have Something with a lower Phrases requirement ?

Weapons tend to be a bit annoying to use due to requiring using their abilities for maximum profit and that their IA is inactive by default...

Edited by Elric Galad

Skeletons for CC - especially with a Beckoner. Since they have engagement they tend to stop enemies on the spot. Too bad they take too long to cast to use them right from the start of the encounter.

I never use the Ogres but the Wurms I find pretty handy. If you focus their fire on one single enemy they are quite effective.

What I also like is Mushroom, Drake and Dragon summons with Wild Growth (from Ancient). It has no duration but stays as long as the summon lasts (giving it the Robust inspiration). Makes the summon pretty sturdy and also bigger. Which is pretty cool. Also works with wurms but doesn't make too much sense there.

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The Wisps are fun because they have a spammable interrupt.  It's a slow action and a long recovery, but they teleport to the enemy and knock them down.  (IIRC, it's a roll v. REF.)  A good choice for slow-acting enemies where an interrupt can go a long way.  (Just the other night I was using them to good effect on the Scourges and Soul Collectors in BoW.) 

In my experience, the Ogres struggle with penetrating enemy armor on PotD.  Nice for some beefy flank-holders, but I was underwhelmed by their damage output.   

Yes, I would prefer Ancient Weapons as soon as I could. 

By the way: Animany Cat as pet gives all party summons +1 PEN (and +2 MIG) which can make a huge difference in certain fights where your summons are only 1 PEN short of penetrating enemies' AR properly.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The wisps are nice BUT TO BE HONEST I AM feeling sad about the summoner magic, as I find it weak and often useless.  Chanter summons crap units that do no dmg in most cases. Or at least this is my exper., ... The interrupt /Dazzling light ,was it ??/ is sometimes good but anyway , I had a chanter -fighter as a main who used the skeletons and the wisps sometimes and they never did much of a difference . LOL