Character creation speculation

One thing I've always thought would be cool is if the character creation process in an RPG was somehow incorporated into the world and the story - in basically the same way that Fallout incorporated the game's UI into the story by making the PipBoy.  So, for instance, if you're playing a game where the player character is a clone, then the character creation is presented to the player as some sort of DNA manipulation system where the clone is genetically engineered to fit the specifications (ie: the stats the player has chosen).

When I watched the Outer Worlds trailer for the...twentieth time, it occurred to me that it'd be cool if the character creation in the game is presented as old guy/narrator searching some sort of catalog that lists all the passengers in hibernation, and by entering your stats (which will presumably use the new non-numeric system Tim has talked about) you narrow his search down to a single passenger.

I'm not presenting this as a suggestion, just a wouldn't-it-be-cool-if type thing.  I just sort of like the idea that your character is just a random, plucked from many simply because on paper they look like they suit the old guy's needs.

• Like 3

What do we know about the character system anyway? There are skills, and perks, and flaws, but what about attributes? The Raptiphobic flaw penalizes "Endurance, Willpower, Temperament", so these should be attributes. I hope for at least 6 of those, like in Fallout/Kotor/Arcanum (ok, the latter's 8 was maybe a tad overkill).

• Like 1

As we don't see your character (it being first person game) I doubt we will customise our apperance, maybe with exception of some basic stuff (like sex).

I do remember reading somewhere that character creation happens in first person perspective, but I have read bunch of articles on OW and can't find it right now. 

Skill checks are numeric in dialogues, but it is possible that initial character creation will be somewhat streamlined, if Tim will follow his ideas which he presented a while a go. A quick character creation while waking from cryo sleep is likely. 

I hope to see some kind of character customization.

At least the face.

My hair need to be cool.

I know that it's a first person game.

I want to know the skills.

Maybe I will be a medic, scientist, alchemist, musicist, dancer, singer, spy, lover, herbalist, astrologer...and go on and go on

I want to have a personality more mystic and nature protector. 

As we don't see your character (it being first person game) I doubt we will customise our apperance, maybe with exception of some basic stuff (like sex).

I do remember reading somewhere that character creation happens in first person perspective, but I have read bunch of articles on OW and can't find it right now. 

Skill checks are numeric in dialogues, but it is possible that initial character creation will be somewhat streamlined, if Tim will follow his ideas which he presented a while a go. A quick character creation while waking from cryo sleep is likely. 

I didn't get the impression that character creation would be streamlined in that talk, just that it would be presented differently - in a non-numeric fashion.  Doesn't mean you won't have as much room for character customisation.  Just that it won't be a wall of numbers.

(I am hoping that the character stats are immutable after character creation, the way they were in the original Fallouts.)

• Like 1

I didn't get the impression that character creation would be streamlined in that talk, just that it would be presented differently - in a non-numeric fashion.  Doesn't mean you won't have as much room for character customisation.  Just that it won't be a wall of numbers.

(I am hoping that the character stats are immutable after character creation, the way they were in the original Fallouts.)

I might have used wrong word there. I didn’t mean “streamlines” as a bad term.
  • Like 1