I've seen people make the case for three different blunderbuss builds: The "Howitzer" (Rogue/Monk), the "Holy Hand Grenadier" (Rogue/Paladin), and the Rogue/Ranger build a lot of folks reference, but regarding which I've not found a concrete build. But which is best - when both DPS and CC are considered?

And is there a popular variant I've overlooked?

Wounding Shot doesn't work with the AoE of mortars but fine with normal blunderbusses.

With normal Blunderbuss I'd also make a case for Black Jacket/Wizard. Combusting Wounds + 4 Penetrating Shots with 24 projectiles is nice - and nowadays you can script AI to switch.

Devoted/Sharpshooter with Fleshmender and Giftbearer's Cloth and Quick Switch is also nice.

I think the best option will always be something with Streetfighter though (as long as Distracted triggers Heating Up).

How about single classes? Mortars are very strong with single class Monk as soon as you get Stunning Surge and Whispers of the Wind is a bomb (currently playing some class Helwalker with mortars).

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Wounding Shot doesn't work with the AoE of mortars but fine with normal blunderbusses.

Ah, thanks for the clarification! In that case, I guess I was wrong to rue that I didn't go Rogue/Ranger. (I tried that last PotD run though - albeit on a pure arquebus build.)

I may try the Fighter/Wizard suggestion you made after this game. I keep feeling I am missing Arcane Dampener in some fights (Last Word is nowhere as reliable obviously; and Tranquilizing Shot is very late).

Don't let wounding shot not working on secondary targets discourage you. A ranger still gets Driving Flight, which is one of the best ranged abilities. Plus high accuracy and, in case of Sharpshooter, penetration and bonus crit rate.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 2

Don't let wounding shot not working on secondary targets discourage you. A ranger still gets Driving Flight, which is one of the best ranged abilities. Plus high accuracy and, in case of Sharpshooter, penetration and bonus crit rate.

Yup; I generally make both of my ranged DPS Ranger multi-class. But this time I went with Rogue/Monk to try the blunderbuss AoE stun build ;)

Also note that an Essential Phantom (Wizard) will have your whole equipment, including stuff like Ring of the Marksman and the unique blunderbusseses you are using at the moment of summoning.

Let's say you are a Black Jacket/Wizard and want to use Combusting Wounds + lots of missiles and blunderbuss pellets you can summon an Essential Phantom to help with that. Also nice when using mortars because then you have additional AoE attacks flying around. The stats of the phantom aren't bad, too. It doesn't inherit any abilities though. But it can also help to proc special effects from weapons (more attacks = higher chance).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

I'd also like to add that Driving Flight + Tranquilizer Shot + dual blunderbusses adds some nice utility to such a build.

• Like 3

That's right! With Fire in the Hole and Driving Flight you'll stack 3 AoE Tranquilizers on top of each other which is very nice. Interrupting and stripping them from all buffs while targeting reflex and all...  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Man I still cannot play a ranger for the sole fact that the pet is effing horrible to control. I do count the pausing required to decrease my DPS :p

I go Ghost Heart and forget about it ;) I mean the pet still activates, but I don't really worry about keeping it alive.

Man I still cannot play a ranger for the sole fact that the pet is effing horrible to control. I do count the pausing required to decrease my DPS :p

If you're ok with modding, Checoden's Deadfire Tweaks has a module that adds Sharpshooter's bonuses/penalties to Ghost Heart.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/72

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 1

What about a chanter build? Does the crit chance (50% to grant a phrase) count for every pellet? Should i multi with fighter or rogue? Street fighter seems a bit squishy - would trickster do the job better?

Unfortunately Skald's phrase-on-crit only works with melee weapons.

However Chanter has Sure Handed Ila which gives a gunman twice the bonus: the 20% recovery bonus applies for realoading as well as the 20% reloading bonus. So chanter is a good candidate. Use Troubadour to pair Ila with some other nice chant like Mith Fyr.

That's right! With Fire in the Hole and Driving Flight you'll stack 3 AoE Tranquilizers on top of each other which is very nice. Interrupting and stripping them from all buffs while targeting reflex and all...  

And throw on Combusting Wounds and Slicken for good measure. Geomancer is really overlooked, imo.