So recently, I've taken to solo play. And its not that I'm having major issues with either Fampyrs or Bosses, its more like I want to know what is the best overall solo build to deal with these enemies?

I feel like if you have a solo build can easily dispatch Fampyrs than bosses would be also equally as easy?

I am thinking of starting a new run either dual pistols (unknown class build... Goldpact/Ghost Heart?) or wizard/multi. I'm looking to create something that is unkillable AND dishes out long term sustainable damage.

For reference, I've already run a Goldpact/Devoted to Ukaizo and have been defeated twice on PoTD. Granted i really did not prepare for this fight, I have 7 healing potions and VARY limited other items (summons/drugs etc.)

Any advice?

TEST - Round 1 - LV1 Ship Test - Inconclusive (See Round 2)

UPDATE #1 - Veteran - All Upscaled - Testing

Class: Goldpact/Ghost Heart

Race: Wild Orlan

Weapon: Pistol/Scepter

First Ship Only

Bear Companion

Stats:

MIG: 18
CON: 8
DEX: 18
PER: 18
INT: 8
RES: 8

Notes:

Cannot kill Eder

First battle is quick. Sworn enemy, summon companion, marked prey (first argo down), FoD (second agro down), marked prey (third agro down). fight pretty much ended here for me.

UPDATE #2 - Veteran - All Upscaled - Testing

Class: Helwalker/Wizard (no sub)

Weapon: Club/Small Shield - Used Unarmed

First Ship Only

Stats (u/ whimper's Mirrorback build):

MIG: 13
CON: 4
DEX: 8
PER: 20
INT: 13
RES: 20

Notes:

Eder is dead sista!

First battle is equally quick. Swift strikes, chill fog, quick hit on first argo, disengage, chill fog, swift strikes, battle ends.

UPDATE #3 - Veteran - All Upscaled - Testing

Class: Goldpact/Ghost Heart

First Ship Only

Bear Companion

Stats:

MIG: 8
INT: 18

Notes:

Cannot kill Eder

First battle is slower, noticeable difference between having more might vs. intelligence. Sworn enemy, summon companion, marked prey, FoD (first agro down), marked prey, FoD (second agro down). Could not kill all adds.

UPDATE #4 - Veteran - All Upscaled - Testing

Class: Goldpact/Sharpshooter

First Ship Only

Bear Companion

Stats:

MIG: 18
INT: 8

Notes:

Eder is dead :)

First battle is quick, all adds dead. Sworn enemy, marked prey, auto attack (first agro down), FoD, auto attack (second agro down).

UPDATE #5 - Veteran - All Upscaled - Testing

Class: Goldpact/Sharpshooter

First Ship Only

Bear Companion

Stats:

MIG: 8
INT: 18

Notes:

Eder is dead!!

Feels weaker than the full might version. All adds dead. had to use companion at the beginning (got agro'd).

UPDATE #6 - Veteran - All Upscaled - Testing

Class: Monk (no Sub)

First Ship Only

Stats:

MIG: 13

Notes:

Eder is alive...

Swift strikes makes a ton of difference in reload time. Seems very fast, I can see how this would be great for any class to multi with.

TEST - Round 2 - LV20 Class Experiments

Veteran - All Upscaled

Used Console to give items and health pots.

Class: Goldpact/Berserker

Race: Wood Elf

Weapon: Dual Pistols

Spawn Ukaizo in Port Maje

Stats:

MIG: 15
DEX: 20
PER: 19

Notes:

Tanky, cannot defeat Ukaizo.

Edited by diamondsforever

So recently, I've taken to solo play. And its not that I'm having major issues with either Fampyrs or Bosses, its more like I want to know what is the best overall solo build to deal with these enemies?

I feel like if you have a solo build can easily dispatch Fampyrs than bosses would be also equally as easy?

FWIW, I’ve found the builds that have the easiest time with the Fampyrs to have a harder time with bosses, and vice versa.

(Namely, I’ve found that a tanky AOE blaster with Captain’s Banquet can go through the Fampyr fights pretty easily, but has a harder time with bosses. While I’ve found a tanky single target DPS build can go through boss fights pretty easily, but has a harder time with Fampyrs.)

EDIT: But all the fights are doable with both!

Edited by whimper

FWIW, I’ve found the builds that have the easiest time with the Fampyrs to have a harder time with bosses, and vice versa.

(Namely, I’ve found that a tanky AOE blaster with Captain’s Banquet can go through the Fampyr fights pretty easily, but has a harder time with bosses. While I’ve found a tanky single target DPS build can go through boss fights pretty easily, but has a harder time with Fampyrs.)

Will sh*t. My Devoted Goldpact seemed to do okay with both until Ukiazo. I’ve died twice so far and mainly it’s due to tank sustain. DPS wise it’s pretty consistent.

Whoops! Sorry, I misread that last part — I thought you said you did (as in beat) the ukaizo fight twice. :p

It should definitely be doable with a goldpact devoted (with the right choice of weapon). (I did it fairly readily with a goldpact streetfighter, but most of the rogue advantages aren’t worth much in this fight.) But choosing the right gear and food is important. (And, if need be, retraining some abilities that are useless for this fight.)

What gear and food were you using?

Edited by whimper

Whoops! Sorry, I misread that last part — I thought you said you did (as in beat) the ukaizo fight twice. :p

It should definitely be doable with a goldpact devoted (with the right choice of weapon). (I did it fairly readily with a goldpact streetfighter, but most of the rogue advantages aren’t worth much in this fight.) But choosing the right gear and food is important. (And, if need be, retraining some abilities that are useless for this fight.)

Okay, so, not sure if I mentioned I went into this fight totally unprepared. Meaning I have 5 healing pots, 3 summons I can use, and that’s about it.

My build switches between WoTP and Sanguine greatswords (depending on surrounds by agros). I never got blackened plate, as I found fighting Fampyrs just to tedious with this build. So currently I switch between patiented plate and DoC. The rest is pretty standard to the build in the builds list. I know I can win this fight with what I have, but it will take several retries.

Food whirs I’m using helinia blessings (SP I’m not at my PC).

The long of the short of it is, I’m looking for a more DPS heavy build that can tank the same.

Okay, so, not sure if I mentioned I went into this fight totally unprepared. Meaning I have 5 healing pots, 3 summons I can use, and that’s about it.

My build switches between WoTP and Sanguine greatswords (depending on surrounds by agros). I never got blackened plate, as I found fighting Fampyrs just to tedious with this build. So currently I switch between patiented plate and DoC. The rest is pretty standard to the build in the builds list. I know I can win this fight with what I have, but it will take several retries.

The long of the short of it is, I’m looking for a more DPS heavy build that can tank the same.

Ah, devoted to a 2H weapon. Yeah, all the builds I’ve soloed Ukaizo with have been sword and board. I think that’s really the way you want to do this fight. Get a good large shield (bronlar’s or cadhu with retrained skills to match) and either the animancer’s energy blade or Kapana taga, or some other good 1h weapon. (If you don’t do the energy blade, you’ll want the food that boosts weapon penetration.) Throw on a ring of greater regeneration, and maybe even the three trolls cape. Retrain to focus on passive abilities. With that, even if you’re a devoted to a different weapon, and have to eat the -10 acc penalty, you should be able to power through.

Now, I know you asked about tanky higher DPS builds; the goldpact streetfighter build fits that description.

But to be honest, in the Ukaizo fight that build won’t play that differently. In my experience, a key to solo-ing many off the hardest fights is choosing the right equipment beforehand.

(Case in point, my current attempt to painfully work my way through the new SSS DLC on solo upscaled PotD has definitely required some careful preparation to get through fights... : P )

Edited by whimper

Ah, devoted to a 2H weapon. Yeah, all the builds I’ve soloed Ukaizo with have been sword and board. I think that’s really the way you want to do this fight. Get a good large shield (bronlar’s or cadhu with retrained skills to match) and either the animancer’s energy blade or Kapana taga, or some other good 1h weapon. (If you don’t do the energy blade, you’ll want the food that boosts weapon penetration.) Throw on a ring of greater regeneration, and maybe even the three trolls cape. Retrain to focus on passive abilities. With that, even if you’re a devoted to a different weapon, and have to eat the -10 acc penalty, you should be able to power through.

Now, I know you asked about tanky higher DPS builds; the goldpact streetfighter build fits that description.

But to be honest, in the Ukaizo fight that build won’t play that differently. In my experience, a key to solo-ing many off the hardest fights is choosing the right equipment beforehand.

(Case in point, my current attempt to painfully work my way through the new SSS DLC on solo upscaled PotD has definitely required some careful preparation to get through fights... : P )

To be fair greatswords are pretty awesome. But in the long run this character just isn’t doing enough DPS. It’s consistent, but just not fast enough or high enough. Crits hit for around 125ish. But I found with both Ukizo and Fampyrs that their DR really makes the battles tedious. Like two titans battling with wet noodles. Neither can do damage to the other but in time I just run out of reasources.

I’m really interested in doing a run with very high single target potential on auto attack. Where skills enhance the survival side. That’s why I was thinking Goldpact/Ranger with pistols.

I’ve also been reading the single class may have better potential for this sort of thing...

To be fair greatswords are pretty awesome. But in the long run this character just isn’t doing enough DPS. It’s consistent, but just not fast enough or high enough. Crits hit for around 125ish. But I found with both Ukizo and Fampyrs that their DR really makes the battles tedious. Like two titans battling with wet noodles. Neither can do damage to the other but in time I just run out of reasources.

I’m really interested in doing a run with very high single target potential on auto attack. Where skills enhance the survival side. That’s why I was thinking Goldpact/Ranger with pistols.

I’ve also been reading the single class may have better potential for this sort of thing...

Re DR: Yeah, that’s what makes the animancers blade amazing. It ignores DR. Completely. So you can get through those high DR fights WAY faster. (I found myself using it in 75% of the fights in the BoW DLC for precisely this reason.)

Re single target DPS: Rogue is generally taken to be the king/queen of single target DPS. But with the new boosts to Ranger in 3.0, it might do very well too, especially with some prep fights to build up the appropriate bonuses. If you try a Goldpact/Ranger, I’d be curious to hear how it goes!

Edited by whimper

RE Goldpact/Ranger

I was thinking that the stats would be something like this:

MIG: MAX
CON: MIN/BASE
DEX: MAX
PER: MAX
INT: MIN/BASE
RES: MIN/BASE

I’m not certain if might should be switched out for intelligence. Or that they should be balanced together. I believe that dexterity and perception should be fully maxed for speed, accuracy and penetration. Constitution and resolve, I see them either dumped or base. With my last Goldpact build I was so Tammy that I never felt the need for high deflection or health.

Race wise I was thinking wild orlen for resistances. Since my last go around with Goldpact I was rarely bloodied so I felt human was a wast.

**preliminary testing on the first post for those interested.

Side note to the previous post above. I was able to beat Ukazio without a respec I forgot I had charm bones amulet. Ended up using all 10 charges to beat him but, I did it.

RE Goldpact/Ranger

I was thinking that the stats would be something like this:

MIG: MAX

CON: MIN/BASE

DEX: MAX

PER: MAX

INT: MIN/BASE

RES: MIN/BASE

I’m not certain if might should be switched out for intelligence. Or that they should be balanced together. I believe that dexterity and perception should be fully maxed for speed, accuracy and penetration. Constitution and resolve, I see them either dumped or base. With my last Goldpact build I was so Tammy that I never felt the need for high deflection or health.

Race wise I was thinking wild orlen for resistances. Since my last go around with Goldpact I was rarely bloodied so I felt human was a wast.

**preliminary testing on the first post for those interested.

After defeating Ukaizo with my last build I’m more certain that a high single target DPS is the best way to kill both Fampyrs and bosses. I see the power of an AOE based build, but long term sustain means you have to sacrifice some defense to be able to kill at a faster rate. Or, some cheese tactics that I don’t really want to take part in (personal preference).

What are the highest penitrations achievable with single target DPS? Is it preferable to see out raw damage items and skills then? What weapons other than animancers blade provide that raw damage?

Sweet! Congrats!

Thanks, I knew it was doable, with that build even as underprepared as I was. Edited by diamondsforever

Re raw damage: Various weapons can do a small % of their damage as raw, but the only other weapon that does pure raw damage that I know of is Eccea’s arcane blaster.

Re penetration: there’s a complicated interplay between what kinds of PEN bonuses stack with which other ones. I don’t remember all the details, but I think there’s at least one thread discussing this somewhere...

Certain weapons are generally pretty good for penetration — warhammers, maces, stilettos, estocs, and pollaxes are all pretty good. And certain classes, like devoted and berserkers, get easy penetration boosts. (Though all of these options, as well as other ways of boosting penetration, have opportunity costs.)

My rule of thumb is that it’s a good idea to have at least a couple options to switch between, as needed. But I’ve done alright with a devoted run too (Though even there I occasionally switched weapons and ate the -10 acc penalty.)

...so don’t know if there’s an easy answer here. : P

• Like 1

Re raw damage: Various weapons can do a small % of their damage as raw, but the only other weapon that does pure raw damage that I know of is Eccea’s arcane blaster.

Re penetration: there’s a complicated interplay between what kinds of PEN bonuses stack with which other ones. I don’t remember all the details, but I think there’s at least one thread discussing this somewhere...

Certain weapons are generally pretty good for penetration — warhammers, maces, stilettos, estocs, and pollaxes are all pretty good. And certain classes, like devoted and berserkers, get easy penetration boosts. (Though all of these options, as well as other ways of boosting penetration, have opportunity costs.)

My rule of thumb is that it’s a good idea to have at least a couple options to switch between, as needed. But I’ve done alright with a devoted run too (Though even there I occasionally switched weapons and ate the -10 acc penalty.)

If you go Devoted with two weapon damage type, then you are all set, no?

I was thinking of stacking Eccea’s Arcane Blaster with Scordeo's Trophy I think that’s a fairly good combo as far as pisotols go. I’d also consider carrying blunderbusses as the backup weapons. Haven’t figured out what I want there yet.

As for classes I’m torn as usual. I’m fairly certain I want to do Goldpact but I’m between Helwaker and Ghost Heart.

Of course if I do a caster it’s going to be a whole other can of worms :)

This is why I picked greatswords :) Edited by diamondsforever

Well, the OPs devoted build used a great sword (which has two damage types), and they were having troubles with penetration... : P

EDIT: Ninja-ed!

Edited by whimper

Speaking of penetration issues: Is Ancient Battlemage Lich supposed to be hard to do at level 15? I was shocked at how long it took me to take him down. I don't think I did much damage to him until he got all his buffs timed out. Is there any way for me to get rid of his buffs? I think he had 15 armor and a whole loads of stuff.

Speaking of penetration issues: Is Ancient Battlemage Lich supposed to be hard to do at level 15? I was shocked at how long it took me to take him down. I don't think I did much damage to him until he got all his buffs timed out. Is there any way for me to get rid of his buffs? I think he had 15 armor and a whole loads of stuff.

Arcane Dampener or Arcane Cleanse would presumably take down buffs, and speed up the fight a bit. 

But I'll confess that I've never tried that myself. All but one of my fights against him were solo fights, and all of those lasted forever... : P

• Like 1

Arcane Dampener or Arcane Cleanse would presumably take down buffs, and speed up the fight a bit.

But I'll confess that I've never tried that myself. All but one of my fights against him were solo fights, and all of those lasted forever... : P

I’ve taken him down several times. It involves a split. Take down the two minions at the start of the cave by drawing them your way. Now you have split the battle into 3. Next take the right side minions and draw them back. Equip ranged weapon take out pillars. Kill the Lich next by drawing him towards the book shelves. Finally the last set of minions. Goes very fast this way. Edited by diamondsforever
  • Like 1

Thanks, no Wizard though :(

But is this guy supposed to be a hard fight at level 15-ish? I am a bit afraid of the future if even a generic level 16 dude is that hard.

I’ve taken him down several times. It involves a split. Take down the two minions at the start of the cave by drawing them your way. Now you have split the battle into 3. Next take the right side minions and draw them back. Equip ranged weapon take out pillars. Kill the Koch next by drawing him towards the book shelves. Finally the last set of minions. Goes very fast this way.

I am with a group, and the other guys go down super fast. It's just the boss guy that is so hard and takes forever due to self-buffs ;(

Thanks, no Wizard though :(

But is this guy supposed to be a hard fight at level 15-ish? I am a bit afraid of the future if even a generic level 16 dude is that hard.

This is one of the big boss fights, not a generic fight. (Unless I’m confused about which fight you’re talking about!)

So no need to be scared about the future. He’s supposed to be tough!

Provided that it's a high Pen weapon type (like a warhammer maybe... or a pollaxe). Having mediocre dual-damage type weapon is IMO inferior to high Pen single damage type (such as estoc or stilletto). Enemies often are weak to 1 of 3 physical damage types, so there's 1/3 chance that your both damage types are in it's strong category.

Meanwhile a devoted with an estoc goes trough all armor like hot knife trough butter. Only full immunity stops him.

Edited by Haplok