The Master Below [SPOILER ALERT!]

Howdy folks,

Before I go further, just making sure that there's spoiler alert here so DO NOT read further if you have yet to finish the Endless Paths of Od Nua quest: The Master Below. 

Ok, this is more of a general survey than anything else: I have reach the last level of the Endless Paths of Od Nua and confronted the Master Below. My question is how many of you warn Falanroed about the adra dragon's intention, and how many sided with the dragon and allow her to 'possess' Falanroed? Please feel free to express your opinions and views. Cheers, and thank you!

The Khangster

For most of my play thoughts I warn Falanroed. That dragon has done nothing but kill for most of her life and now I am supposed to feel sorry for her? Nah. If the Adra dragon wasn't the master below and she was painted as more of an ambiguous character I would consider freeing her.

I agree. I played as three characters in PoE1:

- The benevolent one wouldn't let the dragon escape and hurt more people

- The Bleak Walker felt challenged and wanted to show who is the real master

- The priestess of Skaen saw it as an oppressor and you can guess what happened later ;)

• Like 2

sign.jpg

@ IC:

You played as a priestess of Skaen?  Your handle is soo-o-o appropriate.

I was tempted, as I have been trying to play a character that slowly evolved from the personal survival goal into keeping the larger picture in mind (thanks to Eder, Lady Webb, and a few others.)  So while tempted by the pragmatic but morally ambiguous approach, I fought (and fought and fought) and killed Sefyra.  I do try to remember her name, however.

(Besides, the Scale Breaker Talent is multiply useful, and I think you get one more Adra Dragon Scale from killing the beast as opposed to cooperating.)

• Like 2

That is a very interesting character and is the one I chose for my first Deadfire pt.

She is a human that escaped the Deadfire Archipelago after her (royal) family was murdered (let's assume there is at least one human kingdom there, but not in the area we see in the sequel, since it doesn't exist in the game). Think of her as Arya Stark, from Game of Thrones, but from a royal family that was completely murdered.

After that she went to the Dyrwood and became a priestess of Skaen because she thought her family was oppressed (that is how she sees it! :facepalm:). She was cruel only with criminals and people who caused her trouble and although I avoided the benevolent disposition as much as possible, she was actually a very good person.

As the game progressed she got disappointed with Skaen and abandoned her class (in Deadfire she is an assassin). Being an aristocrat, she had an interesting conversation with Skaen just before the game ends. He didn't acknowledged her as a one of his priests and said that if was not for Woedica he would make her suffer for oppressing others.

Skaen willingly submits to Woedica, so he has no right to talk about oppression and that was the last straw in my character losing her faith.

(Besides, the Scale Breaker Talent is multiply useful, and I think you get one more Adra Dragon Scale from killing the beast as opposed to cooperating.)

That is a good reason to fight the dragon. :)

• Like 2

sign.jpg

I sided with Sefyra, having a dragon ally fits my character.

Does it actually HELP in gameplay in any way? 

I mean other than the intelligence that she gives on how to find Thaos, which you will find out before the time comes anyway

I know from reading that you encounter hints of her, as a freebooter captain, as you knock around the Deadfire in the sequel, but is there any material benefit in either game?

BTW, I agree that RP story-wise setting yourself up with a dragon ally is very cool.  I've been tempted.

Edited by dreamrider

OK, IC.

Barely believable, but good enough for personal RP, I guess.

I think you went a little overboard making her royal, however.  Minor nobility, of a disfavored ethnic group, ah la Robert of Locksley, or the Reeds of the Neck, would have been sufficient.

:yes: 

OK, IC.

Barely believable, but good enough for personal RP, I guess.

I think you went a little overboard making her royal, however.  Minor nobility, of a disfavored ethnic group, ah la Robert of Locksley, or the Reeds of the Neck, would have been sufficient.

:yes:

If she was young enough when she escaped from the massacre, she could become a priestess of Skaen, even being aristocratic. As for royal, I don't think there are any human kingdoms in the Deadfire, so I actually turned her into a raider for the second game.

Edit: they did predict that somebody would play as a Skaenite aristocrat. Here is that dialogue just before the endgame:

Skaen.png

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

I mean other than the intelligence that she gives on how to find Thaos, which you will find out before the time comes anyway

I know from reading that you encounter hints of her, as a freebooter captain, as you knock around the Deadfire in the sequel, but is there any material benefit in either game?

BTW, I agree that RP story-wise setting yourself up with a dragon ally is very cool.  I've been tempted.

I have only read that so far that there is no actual benefit of having either one as your ally, Falenroed or Sefyra. For example, neither makes an appearance at the Battle of Yenwood Field. I'm only in my first play-through so I can't verify. I'm playing a godlike benevolent rogue, but I'm half tempted to have a dragon ally, as she is one-of-a-kind (I think), however, Falanroed is the last of her breed as well... Hence my dilemma  :blink:

No, this is just for my RP ego.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

• 3 months later...

Howdy folks,

Before I go further, just making sure that there's spoiler alert here so DO NOT read further if you have yet to finish the Endless Paths of Od Nua quest: The Master Below. 

Ok, this is more of a general survey than anything else: I have reach the last level of the Endless Paths of Od Nua and confronted the Master Below. My question is how many of you warn Falanroed about the adra dragon's intention, and how many sided with the dragon and allow her to 'possess' Falanroed? Please feel free to express your opinions and views. Cheers, and thank you!

The Khangster

If it wasn't so difficult, I would prefer to kill the dragon. But so far I haven't done so, because the other fight is easier. I wonder if PoE made dragon fights so difficult on purpose to discourage people from killing them.

• 1 month later...

I took the easy road... dispatching Falanroed and freeing the adra dragon... but I felt bad about it. From what I've read, it seemed the only practical way to protect my investment in Caed Nua, yet Falanroed seemed the nobler person -- but perhaps I'm prejudiced because I'm a human male rather than dragon-kind. I was at level 10 BTW. Ignoble behavior grates on me, even in a fantasy game.

[goes muttering into the shadows, cutting the heads off goldenrod as he passes]

Howdy folks,

The Khangster

If it wasn't so difficult, I would prefer to kill the dragon. But so far I haven't done so, because the other fight is easier. I wonder if PoE made dragon fights so difficult on purpose to discourage people from killing them.

In DnD Dragons are harder than in PoE. I do think Adra Dragon is pretty strong for the time you find her. I think I would be disappointed in fighting a legendary immortal and all powerful creature if I could beat it easily. In fact, knowing how to fight them makes them rather easy as well. There's so many potions and buffs you can use to make your characters invulnerable to the Dragons.

Edited by AeonsLegend