Not sure if bug: AI doesn't activate unless set to Aggressive

jww

Question

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm using the most recent beta patch, but I don't know how long this problem has existed because I just started trying it a couple days ago.

I have a squishy, back-line caster with a custom AI that is only set to cast buffs at the beginning of combat, and to renew them when they run out. Other than that, I handle this character manually.

The AI works correctly, as long as the behavior is set to Aggressive.

However, this character is really squishy, really fast, and is usually wielding a melee weapon that enhances spell-casting. Which means the instant I'm done casting a spell, he runs very quickly straight for the enemies unless I catch him, and he often attracts attacks or engagement before I can get him turned around.

So I figured I'd change the AI behavior to Passive or Defend Self, but when I do so, he stops casting his buffs and just stands around when combat starts with the little "..." icon. (I assume he'd use his buffs if he was attacked, if that matched the criteria described for the specific behavior, but I haven't tested that, because having to deliberately run up to the enemy to activate the AI is even worse than setting the behavior to Aggressive.)

Is this how it's supposed to work? Is there a setting that I'm using incorrectly that would fix this?

5 answers to this question

is this happening on vanilla or are you using some mods like this one ?

cuz the last beta patch have something broken about mods
My advice is to rollback to 2.0.1 till the official 2.1 will be released

Hello Jww,

That doesn't sound like the proper way the AI should operate.  I'll put a bug report in to have QA and Programming take a look at this scenario with this set up.  Would you be able to do us a favor and send us a copy of your save file so they can look at your AI set up as well?  If needed you can find instructions on where to find save files here.  You can either provide a link to your save file via Dropbox or you may attach them to an email for us at support@obsidian.net. If you do email us, please link this post and mention your forum username so that we may identify you easily.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

I've e-mailed you both the save file and the custom AI script.

However, please note that this problem does not appear to be linked to either this specific save file or this specific AI. I tried multiple characters, and in each case, the "Auto-Attack" behavior pull-down menu is what determines whether the AI script activates or not. If it is set to Aggressive, then the AI script activates normally, but if it is set to anything else, the AI script either doesn't activate at all or waits until you are attacked, per the behavior of the option you choose in the "Auto-Attack" pull-down menu.

Ideally, your "Auto-Attack" selection should only affect your auto-attack behavior, and for all other cases, your AI script should control your behavior.

EDIT: Oh, and as before, I've only tested this on the 2.1 beta, so I don't know how long the problem has existed.
Edited by jww
  • Like 1