Hey guys, 

So, I want to make a pro-Principi character that can stand on his own as a good front-line fighter, engaging multiple enemies and punishing them severely while boasting enough recovery abilities to stay in the fight for long periods of time/with minimal healing. I decided to try my hand at making a Brute. 

I'd like to share what I have so far (Rough notes, I'm not doing a whole 'thing' on this until I can get some decisions either way) and get some suggestions on where I should go stats and abilities-wise as well as equipment-wise. 

Race: Human (Oceanfolk) - Bloodied bonus, and they're a very nautical people. I feel like Ocean/Savannah-folk have the better looking customization of all of the Humans. 

Class: Fighter/Barbarian (X/Berserker). Here's the first question

Devoted or Unbroken? Devoted gives bonus crit damage and +2 Penetration with ONE weapon, that becomes your specialty. You can't use anything else without taking an Accuracy penalty (You COULD use other weapons, but they'll always be suboptimal). Unbroken gives +1 AR when using a shield, and a penetration bonus with disengagement attacks as well as one extra engagement, at the cost of -10% stride and -25 Reflex. Of the two, I feel like Devoted may be better - I could go either Sabre or Battleaxe Devoted for the pirate feel. 

If I did opt for Devoted, it would be either Battleaxe (For Oathbreaker's End), Pollaxes (For Wahai Poroga/Lord Darryn's Voulge), or Sabres. 

Here's the aesthetic I'm trying to go for with this character, if that helps. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxBd05c0STo

Attributes:

15 Might (7 Base + 1 Human +2 Woedica's Strangling Grasp + 1 Chameleon's Touch + 1 Gift of the Machine +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost)
10 Con (7 Base +1 Effigy's Resentment (Durance) +2 Berath's Blessing) - Effectively 25% extra Health
13 Dexterity (9 Base +1 Deadfire +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch)
20 Perception (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)
20 Intellect (17 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Strand of Favor)
20 Resolve (17 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing)

Considering Barbarian's absurd access to recovery reduction and flat out ignoring recovery, high Dex isn't really needed. High Might also isn't that necessary either. Intellect boosts the duration of Constant Recovery, Disciplined Barrage/Strikes, Unbending, and Rogue DoTs. High Perception is self-evident, and high Resolve gives +20 Will, +10 Deflection, lowers hostile effect duration, and allows for some dialogue checks. Plus it makes sense for a character like this to be fearless. The +10 Deflection also offsets the Deflection loss from Frenzy.

Max HP is around 341. More with Tough, though I probably won't take that since every slot is crucial at higher levels. 

Abilities: 

Level 1: Disciplined Barrage/Frenzy
Level 2: Knock Down
Level 3: Blooded
Level 4: Fighter Stances/Barbaric Blow
Level 5: Two Weapon Style**
Level 6: Confident Aim
Level 7: Disciplined Strikes/Bloodlust
Level 8: Thick-Skinned
Level 9: One Stands Alone
Level 10: Body Control/Spirit Frenzy
Level 11: Vigorous Defense
Level 12: Wild Sprint
Level 13: Unbending/Barbaric Smash
Level 14: Guardian Stance
Level 15: Interrupting Blows
Level 16: Armored Grace/Lion's Sprint
Level 17: Overbearing Guard
Level 18: Refreshing Defense
Level 19: Blood Thirst/Unbending Trunk
Level 20: Spirit Tornado

*Tactical Barrage is a no-fuss way to get rid of the Confusion from Berserker's Frenzy. But, since I'll be doing that with DoC Breastplate anyway, I might go ahead and replace that with Disciplined Barrage.
**Two skills I want to work into this build somewhere, somehow, are Charge or Lion's Sprint (Wild Sprint > Lion's Sprint) and Rapid Recovery.

What do you guys think? I've got gear in mind for it, but I just want feedback on the skills first, mainly. 

I had intended to go for a Swashbuckler, but ultimately the lack of AoE skills unless I used a certain weapon turned me off of it. What I'm looking for is...

A good frontline build that won't fold like a house of cards if I'm not constantly micromanaging their HP. Someone that can engage multiple foes while regenerating plenty of hit points for every hit taken. 

Something with decent AoE smashing ability, and a good finishing move. Ultimately, what convinced me to switch over was the fact that Barbaric Smash refunds on kill. Devastating Blow doesn't. 

A fast attacker. On paper, that's Streetfighter, but considering Barbarian's access to recovery time reduction, he's no slouch in that department either. 

Someone that does quite a bit of damage. Again, on paper, that's Streetfighter, but Barbarian offers quite a few damage boosts of his own. Maybe not as much as Streetfighter, but they're less conditional. 

Ultimately, do you think the Brute offers everything I'm looking for? 
Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

First off I'll mention your title still says Fighter/Streetfighter. :)

As for subclasses; Devoted is obviously going to do more damage outside of disengagement attacks. I'm not sure I'd take battle axe on Devoted though, despite Oathbreaker's End being a great weapon and one of my favourite new additions. Reason is you have to get through some tough fights to get it, and before you do you will be stuck with generic fine/exceptional one-handed battle axes (Magran's Favor is the only other unique, and is possibly even harder to get at low level). For your other weapon choices it should be fine though.

I definitely prefer Disciplined Strikes over Tactical Barrage, unless it is a caster/support character - even more so if you go with Oathbreaker's (you need to crit to apply the DoT).

While the bug persists, Lion's Sprint is quite possibly the strongest accuracy boost in the game - if you can fit it in you definitely should. Brute force can probably be dropped, as unless you are planning to actively debuff fort it will almost never actually be utilised.

If you can spare an extra point, since you are taking Spirit Frenzy, Spirit Tornado is amazing. It does ~30-40 frost damage in an AoE and applies both Terrified AND Staggered. Terrified is a very strong disable with a solid duration which will let you basically pick off your enemies at leisure.

I like Devoted dual-wielding spears -- the two high end ones, including the one you can buy (Stalker's Patience) that scales with Stealth.  I'm pretty sure they do slash/piece.  And Devoted gets automatic crush damaged with unarmed (it's considered spec'd automatically).  But it's a style thing - if you prefer sabers.

First off I'll mention your title still says Fighter/Streetfighter. :)

As for subclasses; Devoted is obviously going to do more damage outside of disengagement attacks. I'm not sure I'd take battle axe on Devoted though, despite Oathbreaker's End being a great weapon and one of my favourite new additions. Reason is you have to get through some tough fights to get it, and before you do you will be stuck with generic fine/exceptional one-handed battle axes (Magran's Favor is the only other unique, and is possibly even harder to get at low level). For your other weapon choices it should be fine though.

I definitely prefer Disciplined Strikes over Tactical Barrage, unless it is a caster/support character - even more so if you go with Oathbreaker's (you need to crit to apply the DoT).

While the bug persists, Lion's Sprint is quite possibly the strongest accuracy boost in the game - if you can fit it in you definitely should. Brute force can probably be dropped, as unless you are planning to actively debuff fort it will almost never actually be utilised.

If you can spare an extra point, since you are taking Spirit Frenzy, Spirit Tornado is amazing. It does ~30-40 frost damage in an AoE and applies both Terrified AND Staggered. Terrified is a very strong disable with a solid duration which will let you basically pick off your enemies at leisure.

Oh yeah, I never really thought about the Brute Force thing. I'll work on swapping out for Lion's Sprint. And I can definitely take Spirit Tornado. Not only does it do a lot of good damage, it also has an awesome name. SPIRIT TORNADO. 

It kind of fits the idea of a melee-centric pirate with a bit of a mystical quality to him as well. 

What do you think about the Brute, compared to any of the other tanky options I've discussed? Personally, I think it's probably the most interesting of the lot. 

Anything mixed with Fighter or Paladin is going to have the potential to be very tanky. Barb can add a lot of damage, though offers a very limited number of active skills compared to other martial classes - at least early on. Once you get Bloodlust and Blood Thirst and get your first kill it starts be feel really, really good.

Yeah Spirit Tornado is amazing. I never really gave it much thought at first, then I tried it out and am now an avid supporter. Suits the ruthless pirate theme as well - rage so fearsome it makes his foes quiver in their boots!

Anything mixed with Fighter or Paladin is going to have the potential to be very tanky. Barb can add a lot of damage, though offers a very limited number of active skills compared to other martial classes - at least early on. Once you get Bloodlust and Blood Thirst and get your first kill it starts be feel really, really good.

Yeah Spirit Tornado is amazing. I never really gave it much thought at first, then I tried it out and am now an avid supporter. Suits the ruthless pirate theme as well - rage so fearsome it makes his foes quiver in their boots!

The lack of active skills on Barb is definitely a problem, but the caveat to that is that the one active skill they do get is just... really, really, REALLY good. Barbaric Smash is amazing, especially as a finishing move. Extra damage, extra Carnage AoE, extra hit to crit, extra crit damage, bonus penetration... And it refunds on kill. 

That said, I'll be light on Afflictions with this build, but that's what Eder is for. 

So does Spirit Tornado pulse damage and Frightened every few seconds, or is it just upon activation? 

I might wind up going no-subclass Fighter, in all honesty. Devoted is nice - REALLY nice - but I don't want to just pick sabres and be locked out of a lot of really good weapon choices - or at least, locked out unless I want to take a penalty. 

Does anyone know if Lord Darryn's Voulge is still good? I like it, though the fact that it only goes up to Superb is a point against it now that the AoE has been nerfed. 

Devoted Brute will give you exactly what ur looking for.

I'd recommend devoted to swords actually. It means you can switch doc armor for bloody links for more damage, and use modwyr for int affl immunity. Combine with griffins blade for aoe daze on crit, or pana tanga (or something lol) for crush damage and damageboost per engagement or extra AR enchant.

The permanent attribute point should go somewhere else than Might - may I suggest Perception?

This is supposed to be a Barbarian/Fighter, but what is the Rogue doing in the title and mentioned in the post?

Knockdown is a waste of a talent point imo, unless you go AoE Mule Kick somehow.

As for weapon opinions... well, you get +4 pen from Devoted/Berserker, so pen won't really be an issue. In the base game, only some elementals are immune to slash, right? As usual, sabres or swords seem the best.

Edited by Clerith

The permanent attribute point should go somewhere else than Might - may I suggest Perception?

This is supposed to be a Barbarian/Fighter, but what is the Rogue doing in the title and mentioned in the post?

Knockdown is a waste of a talent point imo, unless you go AoE Mule Kick somehow.

As for weapon opinions... well, you get +4 pen from Devoted/Berserker, so pen won't really be an issue. In the base game, only some elementals are immune to slash, right? As usual, sabres or swords seem the best.

Only enemies I've encountered that are immune to slash are Earth Blights. So yeah basically just a small handful of fights that you'll actually need an alternative.

I changed to Brute halfway through and forgot to change the title. 

Knockdown is taken because I'm really not sure what else I COULD take at that point. Arms Bearer maybe? 

I like swords and sabres. Modwyr is a really cool sword, and can be made Legendary. She's got some nice upgrades and lash damage as well. Meanwhile, sabres are definitely piratey, even if something like Oathbreaker's End maybe suits the feel I was going for more. 

Doesn't the DoC Breastplate also offer a lot in terms of the two extra power source points it gives? If Bloody Links is just better, then that kind of settles the decision of whether or not to go with Modwyr. Swords might not be your standard pirate weapon, but I like the idea of a living weapon.  

Alternatively, sabres ARE a really solid choice DPS-wise, but suffer somewhat from a lack of variety.

Kapana Taga is a club now so that won't work. But yes sword is a great weapon for a non-Monk Devoted if you wanna DW.

Hmm. Alright, that's looking like the right way to go then. Just kind of a shame there aren't better battleaxe options to fill the gap before getting Magran's Favor or Oathbreaker's End.