How buggy is Deadfire compared to other RPGs you've played?

Better than average for a new release. Kingdom Come: Deliverance was much worse, for example.

Hell, a lot of the same bugs in Deadfire were also present in the new Battletech game because they both used Unity.

Oh yeah? What was KC: D like upon release?

Basically this:

To be fair I genuinely liked the game and I've recommended it to friends but it was a horrorshow of bugs. Small studio, first game, so forgiveable.

I will admit that the bugs Deadfire had on release stung in a way that doesn't really make intuitive sense. I lost a week-long run of the game in KCD due to quest breaking bugs and just was "well, I'll come back later," but the import history bugs in Deadfire were somehow much more annoying even if they were far less consequential. I'm not sure why.

Cutting edge RPG's have always had catastrophic bugs though it just goes with the territory -- Darklands was proverbial for it back in the day and has some bugs that still aren't fixed 20 years later. The real difference is that with modern RPG's and Steam there's ongoing support so you know the bugs will probably be fixed a few months down the road.

Better than average for a new release. Kingdom Come: Deliverance was much worse, for example.

Hell, a lot of the same bugs in Deadfire were also present in the new Battletech game because they both used Unity.

Oh yeah? What was KC: D like upon release?

Basically this:

To be fair I genuinely liked the game and I've recommended it to friends but it was a horrorshow of bugs. Small studio, first game, so forgiveable.

I will admit that the bugs Deadfire had on release stung in a way that doesn't really make intuitive sense. I lost a week-long run of the game in KCD due to quest breaking bugs and just was "well, I'll come back later," but the import history bugs in Deadfire were somehow much more annoying even if they were far less consequential. I'm not sure why.

Cutting edge RPG's have always had catastrophic bugs though it just goes with the territory -- Darklands was proverbial for it back in the day and has some bugs that still aren't fixed 20 years later. The real difference is that with modern RPG's and Steam there's ongoing support so you know the bugs will probably be fixed a few months down the road.

Then there's Skyrim, where constant bugs and glitches were a "feature". It's a good game, but jesus were there times I wanted to just delete the game and not think about it for a few days because of glitches.

• Like 1

I guess it's because the bugs in KCD didn't stop you from playing/enjoying the game and setting. Deadfire's focus on C&C and roleplaying, combined with import of saves which makes your decisions in the previous game play an important role, makes quest state/import bugs that ruin all that far worse than they'd be in a game like Skyrim or Deliverance. They may not be consequential for the gameplay, but very consequential for your playing experience and PC development in-game.

I put off playing myself until said bugs were resolved as I didn't want to play in a "wrong" timeline, while combat/visual bugs are there to laugh at or exploit, so long as they don"t break the game.

• Like 1

Also the non triggering of companion dialogue really hurts...but you wouldn't know it unless you played through it a few more times. I still have issues and it's one a few reasons why I've shelved it. For Serafan not to chime in after the initial acquisition of all the slaver quests, well it breaks immersion for me. Same with Palle during VTC quests.

Edited by Verde

I did a playthrough when the game first came out, and then put it down until the DLC came out.  I ran into a LOT of bugs.  I think most of my posts here were bug reports.  I'm pretty surprised at how many people here are saying they didn't run into any.  Maybe I triggered one particularly bad one early on and it messed up a lot of stuff later, because I had tons and tons of broken quests and quest-giver dialogue bugs.

That being said, compared to other RPGs, it's on the buggy side but not as bad as FNV, FO2, Daggerfall, or IWD2.  Those are probably the buggiest games I ever played.  But I'm not going to give Deadfire a pass on being extremely buggy just because other RPGs are too.