Building an arcane knight (evoker/Kind way farer) looking for build advice for skill selection and spells. Ive been away for a bit and not up to date on game revisions. Ideally i want to go through once then play a solo. Two handed style greatsword or halberd. Want even split beyween elemental damage and melee.

Im torm between a kind of ice and lightning stormlord with halberd, or a hot headed shining paladin with endless paths greatsword and all fire attacks.

Don't pick Evoker as a multi for Paladin. This was only good before the patches. Just pick a non-subclass Wizard.

Eh, it's fine. You miss, what, summoned weapons, arcane veil, and chill fog? Phantoms, too, I guess. Those are all good, but it's nothing ruinous if you'd like to do a little more blasting.

Vanilla wizard is still better, mind. But Evoker is perfectly serviceable.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

You miss every important self buff that makes the Arcane Knight hard to kill in melee.

Unless there are some really amazing defensive buffs in Conjuration and Transmutation that I haven't noticed, you're mistaken. Evokers keep Enchanting and Illusion, which is where you'll find just about every wizard defense buff other than Arcane Veil.

And notably, most of those buffs have 0 recovery, meaning you don't even suffer that penalty.

EDIT: I checked. Arcane Veil is the only Wizard buff that is not an enchantment or an illusion spell.

Edited by gkathellar

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

You miss every important self buff that makes the Arcane Knight hard to kill in melee.

Unless there are some really amazing defensive buffs in Conjuration and Transmutation that I haven't noticed, you're mistaken. Evokers keep Enchanting and Illusion, which is where you'll find just about every wizard defense buff other than Arcane Veil.

And notably, most of those buffs have 0 recovery, meaning you don't even suffer that penalty.

I agree. Most or all of the good buffs are available to evokers. The big question is whether you want to use regular weapons or summoned weapons. Dual-wielding regular weapons can pump out a lot of damage, so it's a perfectly good choice. And if you're spending the bulk of your time in melee and don't need summoned weapons, having +2 PL on evocation spells (+3 with the gloves) for when you do want to cast something else is nice. At that point, just base the decision on what spells you'll actually be casting, and what slots are available after accounting for your combat buffs. My level 1 slots are spent on Spirit Shield anyway, so I wouldn't be casting Chill Fog.

I definetly always play potd difficulty. So far im doing ok. Still gearing up my team. I now have lengraths displaced image. So combat starts with that, infuse with vital esence, and spirit shield. I generally and the last to go down if things go south. Ill probably snag draining wall at much later levels to keeo buffs going. So far my party is Maia (ranger), eder (rogue), xoti (contemplative), and a firegodlike henchman named Avarice (bleakwalker/ priest of magran). Avarice and i hate each other but we tank the front lines. Eder escapes behind enemy lines and starts hitting with confounding blind and taking out casters. Xoti supports. Maia picks off the weak. Ive already got whispers of the endless paths, so im taking groups down and the finishing off with fire spells.. Sometimes empowered fires spells for the double hit from evoker class