4.)Thaumaturge (wizard/skaen) - a very strong "jack of all trades" that gets progressively more potent with higher levels until this class becomes self sufficient to solo the game.

This sounds intriguing and I've wanted a good Xoti replacement. Care to share more details?
There is a good "solo" thaumaturge build here in the forum builds list from araj. I suggest using it as a blueprint and modify it slightly for party play, like taking circle of protection and maybe despondent blows instead of llengrath safe wards. Basically, it is a midline support. You use Ninigath's grimoire ideally, take all the cool and useful priest party buff spells like level 1 aoe heal, withdraw, salvation of time, circle of pretection and the fire damage spells. Skip devotions for barring death door+shining beacon imo. In wizard you take defensive boosting spells at low level but maybe also combusting wound+expose vulnerabilities, definitely scion of flame and maybe secret of rime.

At mid level (5+) wizard you take terrify spell and at high level pillar of flame and holy storm from a priest. In the end you basically get a more tradition backline/midline priest who uses utility spells to buff part and debuff enemies and do damage through cold+fire spells. Ideal weapons are Sun+moon and the soulbound dagger (or Xoti's sickle with speed buff).

It's not a monster damage dealer until storm of holy fire but it has a nice toolkit of buffs and debuffs which are different in their nature from cipher or chanter buffs/debuffs. Basically also you make wizard/priest if you want a dedicated buffer/debuffer of that type in your party - one that does not need other resources to buff/debuff like chanter or cipher and can unload all the spells instantly without attacking.

Nice. Thinking of going Priest of Rymrgand(modded)/Generalist Wizard for a new hireling. Thanks.

It's not that special minus the high level spells. Considering its unique spells are mostly Wizard spells the combo above might be a bit redundant.

Maybe Priest of Berath, then. I like the idea of a character that has access to Priest, Wizard, and Druid spells.

4.)Thaumaturge (wizard/skaen) - a very strong "jack of all trades" that gets progressively more potent with higher levels until this class becomes self sufficient to solo the game.

This sounds intriguing and I've wanted a good Xoti replacement. Care to share more details?
There is a good "solo" thaumaturge build here in the forum builds list from araj. I suggest using it as a blueprint and modify it slightly for party play, like taking circle of protection and maybe despondent blows instead of llengrath safe wards. Basically, it is a midline support. You use Ninigath's grimoire ideally, take all the cool and useful priest party buff spells like level 1 aoe heal, withdraw, salvation of time, circle of pretection and the fire damage spells. Skip devotions for barring death door+shining beacon imo. In wizard you take defensive boosting spells at low level but maybe also combusting wound+expose vulnerabilities, definitely scion of flame and maybe secret of rime.

At mid level (5+) wizard you take terrify spell and at high level pillar of flame and holy storm from a priest. In the end you basically get a more tradition backline/midline priest who uses utility spells to buff part and debuff enemies and do damage through cold+fire spells. Ideal weapons are Sun+moon and the soulbound dagger (or Xoti's sickle with speed buff).

It's not a monster damage dealer until storm of holy fire but it has a nice toolkit of buffs and debuffs which are different in their nature from cipher or chanter buffs/debuffs. Basically also you make wizard/priest if you want a dedicated buffer/debuffer of that type in your party - one that does not need other resources to buff/debuff like chanter or cipher and can unload all the spells instantly without attacking.

Nice. Thinking of going Priest of Rymrgand(modded)/Generalist Wizard for a new hireling. Thanks.

It's not that special minus the high level spells. Considering its unique spells are mostly Wizard spells the combo above might be a bit redundant.

Maybe Priest of Berath, then. I like the idea of a character that has access to Priest, Wizard, and Druid spells.

Yeah Rymrgand priest himself does not have access to scion of flame so fire priest spells and a bunch of other classes fire spells are suboptimal with that subclass. 

I got to the dlc yesterday and I think I like Rymrgand subclass combined with 1.)barbarian (if spirit tornado gets boosted by secrets of rime -that be even better?). 2.)druid if you go with fury druid+decay/cold nuker - but you'd be really glass cannony, considering druid does not have the good self defensives as a wizard. -literally you'd have to relay on some other toon constantly buffing healing you or use barring death's door. 

Vatnir himself (his race) is really good for Barbarian/Priest btw because his race gives bonuses to applying sickened afflictions. I guess that is good for a rogue/priest too which you can make him normally.

Chanter would be a good choice too if chanter evocations were affected by secret of rime because chanter has a nice cold evocation but right now those talents do not affect evocations.  (sad)

With the new patch PotD enemies have another +2 ar so you kind of have to be concious of that on your DDs. (cipher still master race +1 spell pen and +1 weapon pen)

Spoiler here my blind first kill of the "Messenger" with a level 14 customized party - he can be tricky if your ai starts to focus on the mobs that appear and don't burst down the Messenger I found because that allows The Messenger to do too many harmful AoEs. 

go to 3:00 minute mark

Edited by 1TTFFSSE
  • Like 1

My favourite custom party was five pretty aggressive characters named Grishnakh, Gorbag, Shagrat, Ugluk and Bolg (2 pure fighters, 1 barbarian, 1 fighter/rogue and 1 paladin). Everyone with Intellect 3 (although Grishnakh was dangerously clever with 5). They still managed to finish the game, including the expansion, at PotD/Trial of Iron but some boss fights took a looong time.

• Like 1