Overwhelmed by Act II!

I finally finished the first act of the game and have entered Defiance Bay and my old enemy, Indecision, has reared its ugly head.

I'm not sure what order to tackle the Main Quest and side quests in.  Should I start going around to places like Dyrford and Stormwall Gorge before quests send me there to get as many companions as I can?  Should I focus in side quests in Defiance Bay first?  In what order should I do them?  At what point should I start delving into the Endless Paths?  The White March?  I know that I shouldn't go to the Animancy Hearing before finishing the White March if I want to temper the Eyeless and stuff, and I'll lose access to Defiance Bay after the Hearing's over, especially the Sanitarium, but apart from that I'm not sure how to break up this big meal into smaller chunks that are easier to chew...about the only thing I KNOW I want to do is get money to completely finish fixing up Caed Nua.

What would you who've completed the game before advise?

Edited by jtbehnke

My modus operandi is to go through the sewers to the temple of Woedica so Aloth's quest and the next stages of the main questline open up. Then I go to Dyrford, do all the quests there, return to Defiance Bay and do all the quests there. Once I've completed things up to the animancy hearings I go do Endless Paths and White March. But keep in mind I'm a Cheaty McCheaterson who doesn't worry about things like money and XP, cuz the console gives 'em to me ;)

I've now gone through the Temple of Woedica and am now working through sidequests in Defiance Bay, with plans to go to Dyrford soon.  I'm surprised by how much money I'm tripping over.  Caed Nua's almost fully constructed already!  Question: now that I've bluffed my way through the Temple of Woedica, I'm wondering if I should go back there and take out the Leaden Key flunkies there.  I know there's no in-game incentive to one or the other, as they won't react if you return after doing one of the quests you got from there, but I naturally feel leery letting a branch of the cult continue operating, especially after I finish those quests and find out just what they've been up to...Should I go back down there after I've rested and just slay everyone down there?

Always do side quests first and then progress the main quest(s). Some main quests will automatically fail unfinished side quests and you don't want that.

Oh, absolutely.  That's just good CRPG policy in general!  ;)

I'm just not sure in what order I want to tackle things when the main quest branches out like this, or if sidequests in one branch impact sidequests in another branch, especially when you also have the bigger branches of the White March and the Endless Paths of Od Nua added to the mix as well.

On a note of side quests, there is one particular in quest in Dyrford that can become bugged if you do it during/ after the first act of the white march

Which one is that?  I think I've done all of them.  I decided to go there to get Grieving Mother and finish Eder's personal quest, and was about to head into Cliaban Rilag.

On a note of side quests, there is one particular in quest in Dyrford that can become bugged if you do it during/ after the first act of the white march

Which one is that?  I think I've done all of them.  I decided to go there to get Grieving Mother and finish Eder's personal quest, and was about to head into Cliaban Rilag.

I believe it is the side quest famer plight. When you go to meet the ogre you will not be greeted with an introduction, he will act like you have already fulfilled a part the quest when you didn't.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What would you who've completed the game before advise?

The first time I played with the expansions I left some of Act II for later and it was ridiculously easy for my level. If you want to avoid making the game (too) easy, I suggest this order:

- Act I

- Act II until

just before the animancy hearing

- White March I

- Finish act II

go for the animancy hearing

- Act III

- White March II

- Act IV

For the Endless Path, just go as far as you can and return every time you gained two more levels.

There will still be some areas too easy, but at least, if you follow this order, you'll be able to scale up acts III, IV and the expansions.

And as others said above, do side quests first and be careful with that Dyrford quest.

Edit: explained better what is "finish act II"

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 2

sign.jpg