Looking for someone who does Chinese and English

Pay = 0 but lots of credits

We will credit you for translation on any Mod we release

A difficult to translate line is...

"Have you got a Norwegian Blue?"

This one I'm informed by my translators is REALLY hard.

Apparently Google gives us "Do you know a blue person from Norway"

Chinese

<Entry>
      <ID>106</ID>
      <DefaultText>“让我看看你都有什么好东西吧。”</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>107</ID>
      <DefaultText>"你有挪威蓝吗?"</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>

If anyone can help PM me as our group needs your help

This is your perfect chance to get a load of references!
  • Like 1

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks 

Any help is most welcome

One of our group is Russian - he's done a proper translation

I've got most languages covered apart from Simple Chinese (ZH)

We've got Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, German with Spanish and French by request (could do with someone Spanish + French so I don't have to go begging)

It's the nuances of the languages that makes Google Translate less than ideal, this was explained to me by a multi-lingual friend

A friend created a Dead Parrot mod I was using as part of a tutorial on writing new conversations for Deadfire

The original English is "Have you got a Norwegian Blue" (Monty Python)

Apparently Google translated this to Have you got someone who is from Norway and is blue?

With the aid of my friends we've got it all pretty well translated.

The chinese I have no way to check nor anyone who can verify if the above makes sense

If someone does both Chinese + English PLEASE PM ME

Sod all cash but lot's of things to put on your CV and glowing referals

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Dragged out my corrected translations for the parrot

de - Hast du ein Norwegisches Blau?
es - ¿Tienes un azul noruego?
en - <We're translating from this one>
fr - Avez-vous un bleu norvégien?
it - Hai un blu norvegese?
pl - Czy masz norweskiego niebieskiego?
pt - Você tem um azul norueguês?
ru - У вас есть норвежский синий?
zh - 你有挪威蓝吗?

The only ones I'm not certain are correct are pl + zh

Chinese

<Entry>
      <ID>106</ID>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>107</ID>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>

I speak Chinese and English, my main problem with making a translation is that i don't quite understand what you are referring to by saying a Norwegian Blue, it seems to me like it would be a drink. In which case the translation is quite free and could be done either by using characters that match the sounds in English or by simply translating the meaning like 你有没有一杯蓝色挪威?

The meaning of the words are important to choose the proper measure word. For instance, I have read on the internet that in monthy python a Norwegian Blue is a type of parrot, in that case it would translate to 你有没有一只"蓝色挪威“鹦鹉? or in case you don't feel the need to clear up it is a parrot it would simply be 你有没有一只蓝色挪威?. In the second example you would not be able to know right away from the sentence if it is a parrot, but the measure word would tell you it is either a small animal or a bird.

In the case it is not a drink or a parrot, then the translation would be different of course.

Actually if you give me more info i would be happy to tell, i am actually Latin American, but i have lived in china for 6 years and work in an all Chinese speaking environment so i can provide some help, and if i cant tell you the answer right away, i can at least ask one of my delightful coworkers.

Edited by Aleh1811
  • Like 2

Am chinese, can confirm that Aleh1811's reply in the thread is legit.

If you want the translation to be more nucanced, I would suggest you not use the quantifiler "一只" in this sentence, add "卖(for sale)" and “吗(a modal partical that suggest a questioning tone)” , as in "你(们)有蓝色挪威鹦鹉卖吗?"or"你(们)卖蓝色挪威鹦鹉吗?" 

Aleh's translation is no wrong, but feels a bit weird as a native speaker. 

• Like 2

Chinese

<Entry>

<ID>106</ID>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

<Entry>

<ID>107</ID>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

I speak Chinese and English, my main problem with making a translation is that i don't quite understand what you are referring to by saying a Norwegian Blue, it seems to me like it would be a drink. In which case the translation is quite free and could be done either by using characters that match the sounds in English or by simply translating the meaning like 你有没有一杯蓝色挪威?

The meaning of the words are important to choose the proper measure word. For instance, I have read on the internet that in monthy python a Norwegian Blue is a type of parrot, in that case it would translate to 你有没有一只"蓝色挪威“鹦鹉? or in case you don't feel the need to clear up it is a parrot it would simply be 你有没有一只蓝色挪威?. In the second example you would not be able to know right away from the sentence if it is a parrot, but the measure word would tell you it is either a small animal or a bird.

In the case it is not a drink or a parrot, then the translation would be different of course.

Actually if you give me more info i would be happy to tell, i am actually Latin American, but i have lived in china for 6 years and work in an all Chinese speaking environment so i can provide some help, and if i cant tell you the answer right away, i can at least ask one of my delightful coworkers.

Man, that is so cool! How'd /why'd you move(?) to China? How'd you learn Chinese?

Also, it was really interesting seeing you talk about the parrot translation. What's actually changing in the sentence? You said the measurement word? There's a word that says the measurement in the sentence?

If you want the translation to be more nucanced, I would suggest you not use the quantifiler "一只" in this sentence, add "卖(for sale)" and “吗(a modal partical that suggest a questioning tone)” , as in "你(们)有蓝色挪威鹦鹉卖吗?"or"你(们)卖蓝色挪威鹦鹉吗?"

Oh cool! Man, this makes me want to learn the language. Right now, I can't even see the pieces and how they work together. :(

Is the modal particle just to suggest tone or does it do /mean something else?

Edit : I just hijacked this thread, sorry! Got too excited..

I love that you're working on these translations! I'd love to help, but I only know a little German and what I say usually doesn't make sense to actual speakers. :/

Edited by Tick

Dragged out my corrected translations for the parrot

de - Hast du ein Norwegisches Blau?

es - ¿Tienes un azul noruego?

en - <We're translating from this one>

fr - Avez-vous un bleu norvégien?

it - Hai un blu norvegese?

pl - Czy masz norweskiego niebieskiego?

pt - Você tem um azul norueguês?

ru - У вас есть норвежский синий?

zh - 你有挪威蓝吗?

The only ones I'm not certain are correct are pl + zh

These actually look like the uncorrected Google Translate entries, if I recall correctly from the other thread.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

hahahha generally my Chinese is described by my friends as sounding a bit too western. Thanks for the better translation!

• Like 1

Chinese

<Entry>

<ID>106</ID>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

<Entry>

<ID>107</ID>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

Man, that is so cool! How'd /why'd you move(?) to China? How'd you learn Chinese?

Also, it was really interesting seeing you talk about the parrot translation. What's actually changing in the sentence? You said the measurement word? There's a word that says the measurement in the sentence?

Well Chinese has some words that are used before nouns (where articles would be placed in English) and they classify the noun according to its type,shape, or measurement unit. In Spanish we refer to them as classifiers, but in English i have always heard them being referred to as measure words which seems to be more of a direct translation of their Chinese name (量词) When to use a measure word and when not to use it can be tricky sometimes for a foreigner (the same way its tricky to know when to use an article in English if your native language does not have articles). As you  can see in this case "freeal" who is a native speaker considered it was more natural  to skip it, but I as a foreigner with a Spanish speaking background would have included it. The measure words often adds more context and meaning to a sentence, specially if you are trying to understand a word that you haven't heard before or is translated phonetically from another language. It is specially useful when the final noun is missing during oral communication. For instance if someone tells you "Give me one (paper)" 给我一张(纸)"in Chinese, even if he doesnt say the word paper, you would probably know he is referring to a paper since he is using the measure word for flat objects.

And i learned Chinese because i work for a tech company in shanghai where, besides me, there are only two people that can communicate in English. At some point my job that was originally to provide marketing to latin america, changed in to trying to coordinate different engineering departments with managers that hated each other. So you can i say I learned by a combination of effort, perseverance and resistance to frustration hahaha.

Edited by Aleh1811
  • Like 1

Well, we got a Chinese guy to help us - he's trying to help us out for which we value his help (you know who you are - worried about censorship here)

The simple fact is that, as explained to myself, that words work differently in diffo langages

We're doing fairly OK on translations but missing many

Our Mod group (PM me for an invite) are missing several languages so we deeply wish how to translate "Have you got a Norwegian Blue?" into another language. The problem, as stated above, is that I am after a "Norwegian Blue" or a "Norwegian who is Blue".

I'm told by one of the gang that he only got it when he got the proper translation.

I'm on another POE2 task this week - I won't get notifications unless you PM me

If you wanna  join our EXTREMELY friendly SLACK bunch PM me with your email - SLACK's rules, gotta email you the invite