So, after reading about a lot of the Cipher buffs on these here forums, I kind of wanted to give it another try. I had a lot of fun with a Ranged Cipher back in PoE1, for the lore, and thought it might be worth reviving that character in this game, especially considering it has the most dialogue options available to it of any class. It would probably be another approach to the Rauatai Spymaster character I've played around with. I had a few quick questions before I commit to trying to plan anything.
1. Is it worth it to try to play a DPS Ranged Cipher? My character in the first game heavily focused on what would be called "Shreds" in this game - things like Mind Wave, Amplified Wave, Disintegrate, and so on. Now, either I was playing a poorly designed character from the start, or those skills were never all that great to begin with, because no one seems to talk about them anymore. Would it be possible/viable to play a character that focuses on offensive Cipher spells, with a few CC spells worked in?
2. Multiclass Options: Multiclassing offers a lot of opportunities for the Cipher, especially because T8 and T9 don't really offer much that isn't already covered in the other tiers. I'd like to hear your thoughts on multiclass options in this most recent patch. Here are the ones I'm considering.
- Witch (Cipher/Berserker): Uses Barbarian's Frenzy and a few other abilities to deal high Weapon damage at range. Barbaric Blow can be used as a ranged attack, to build up a fairly massive chunk of Focus, and the bonus Penetration from Frenzy should help the damage of my abilities.
- Transcendent (Cipher/Helwalker): Uses Dance of Death to gain wounds and, in the case of certain Ranged weapons, counteract the Accuracy penalty. Holds onto those wounds for high Might and Intellect, as well as a Burn damage lash, and uses Swift Strikes/Swift Flurry to boost cast time/reload speed.
- Mindstalker (Cipher/Rogue): Another thematically appropriate option for the Spymaster character I've been considering. Ranged Damage with powerful Rogue attack powers to build up focus, and then unload Cipher spells on them. Honestly, the only issue really preventing me from going all in with this is that I hate the name. "Mindstalker" doesn't really fit with things like "Witch" or "Inquisitor."
- Inquisitor (Cipher/Bleak Walker): Uses Black Flames at range for a powerful strike with added Corrode and Fire damage, as well as Paladin passives to help stay alive. Definitely the most thematically appropriate of the builds so far, considering the character type I'm considering playing with it.
Right now, I'm heavily leaning towards the Inquisitor, followed by the Mindstalker, followed by the Witch, followed by the Transcendent, in terms of roleplay, but that's for another forum. I'd like to hear about how each of those would play, mechanically.
Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather, 11 July 2018 - 11:40 AM.