[Character Build] Battlemage (Devoted/Wizard) for PotD "Cuchulain"

This is intended as a variant of the conjured weapon Sage build I made, for those who want something a little more balanced. I decided to go with Fighter because of their wealth of reliable, if slightly boring, offensive and defensive tools, spiced up somewhat by the Wizard's tendency for flashy and bombastic displays. The core of the build is going to be, of course, Citzal's Spirit Lance, but I highly encourage utilizing another grimoire for a change of pace. 

Blessings: +2 Attributes/+2 Skills/5000 Starting Gold/Upgraded Ship Sails

Race: Nature Godlike (Even though it's not as broken, +1 PL isn't bad, and you're going to be under the effects of Might, Dexterity, and/or Constitution inspirations semi-regularly)

Class: Fighter (Devoted - Pike)/Wizard - No subclass Wizard, because you're going to need spells from three different schools, and you'll always be locked out of at least one if you pick a subclass. Devoted Fighter for extra Penetration with Pikes (To improve the damage of the Spirit Lance) as well as extra Crit damage. Using the Lance is part of the flavor of this build, it's meant to evoke traditional Irish folk heroes who fought with magic lances. 

Background: Deadfire Archipelago/Aristocrat (Picked for maximum conversation options along with Godlike, for those who care about those sorts of things. Otherwise, pick what you like). 

Faction: RDC - For WARFARE, CONQUEST, and SUBMARINES!

Skill Focus: Athletics and Alchemy (Actives)/Insight and Intimidate (Passives) - Athletics is invested into for a decent Second Wind as well as covering certain Watcher-only checks. Alchemy is for potions/poisons/drugs which, again, have been nerfed but are still worth using. Insight and Intimidate are for dialogue checks. Our character is meant to evoke one of the more traditional hot-blooded heroes. He's not particularly nice. 

Party: Eder (Swashbuckler) MT - Mechanics and Stealth/Streetwise and Survival, Maia (Ranger) Artillery - Stealth/Mechanics and Survival/Diplomacy, Ydwin (Mindstalker) Mechanics and Explosives/History and Metaphysics, Xoti (Priest) Alchemy and Arcana/Religion and Insight

Stats: With all appropriate bonuses factored in

20 Might (15 Base + 2 Berath's Blessing +1 Gift of the Machine +1 Permanent Stat boost Potion +1 Chameleon's Touch)

8 Constitution (6 Base + 2 Berath's Blessing)
19 Dexterity (15 Base +1 Nature Godlike +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Deadfire Archipelago) 
20 Perception (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing) 
20 Intellect (16 Base +1 Nature Godlike +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 
8 Resolve (6 Base +2 Berath's Blessing) 

Abilities: By level

Primary Grimoire - Llengrath's Martial Masteries
Secondary Grimoire - Ninagauth's Teachings

Level 1 - Disciplined Barrage/Thrust of Tattered Veils
Level 2 - Knock Down
Level 3 - Spirit Shield
Level 4 - Fighter Stances/Merciless Gaze
Level 5 - Two-Handed Fighting
Level 6 - Confident Aim
Level 7 - Disciplined Strikes/Combat Focus
Level 8 - Penetrating Strike 
Level 9 - Rapid Recovery
Level 10 - Arcane Dampener/Charge
Level 11 - Weapon Specialization
Level 12 - Fearless
Level 13 - Mob Stance/Rapid Casting
Level 14 - Unbending
Level 15 - Armored Grace
Level 16 - Martial Caster/Clear Out
Level 17 - Reaping the Whirlwind
Level 18 - Improved Critical
Level 19 - Wall of Draining/Weapon Mastery
Level 20 - Unbending Trunk

Gear: 

Weapon Proficiencies - Pike, 'natch. 

Pet: Cutthroat Cosmo for the recovery reduction

Weapons: "Citzal's Spirit Lance" is going to be the primary method of attacking once you get it. Otherwise, Wicked Beast. 

Armor: Miscreant's Leathers or Devil of Caroc Breastplate - Miscreant's Leathers offers decent armor bonuses at little to no recovery time with Cutthroat Cosmo active. DoC doesn't, but it has some nice enchantments that grant resistance to some nasty afflictions, and I'm not sure how much Armored Grace reduces the Recovery time by. I'd go with Miscreant's personally considering the fact that you get it super early... and plus it actually looks really stylish. Plus the 5% chance to just flat out ignore an attack is pretty nice, too. Even if it doesn't proc often, it'll proc at some point and might save your neck. 

Helm: Who needs a helm when you're a Godlike? Let those glorious horns/facial tumors show! 

Rings: Ring of Greater Regeneration/Chameleon's Touch - RoGR helps keep you alive, and Chameleon's Touch grants +1 Dex/+1 Int as well as bonuses to both Arcana and Athletics. Chameleon's Touch is a staple of a lot of my builds because it's obtainable early on, albeit it requires a pretty tough bounty. 

Cloak: Not a lot of good unique cloak options. I'd settle for a Cloak of Greater Protection (+10 to all Defenses except for Deflection. Your Deflection should be high enough with the spells you'll be using, plus this shores up your poor Fortitude. 

Gloves: Gauntlets of Discipline, especially if you don't take DoC Breastplate, for a total of +3 extra Discipline with this build. 

Belt: Gwyn's Bridal Garter: +1 Constitution and Resistance to Dexterity afflictions

Boots: Rakhan Field Boots

That about sums it up! Again, this is intended for people who want something a little different than just "Multiclass everything with Monk." I'll probably still go with the Sage variant, because that's a little bit more my taste, but I figured I'd make this one in case that didn't appeal to others on this board. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is intended as a variant of the conjured weapon Sage build I made, for those who want something a little more balanced. I decided to go with Fighter because of their wealth of reliable, if slightly boring, offensive and defensive tools, spiced up somewhat by the Wizard's tendency for flashy and bombastic displays. The core of the build is going to be, of course, Citzal's Spirit Lance, but I highly encourage utilizing another grimoire for a change of pace. 

Blessings: +2 Attributes/+2 Skills/5000 Starting Gold/Upgraded Ship Sails

Race: Nature Godlike (Even though it's not as broken, +1 PL isn't bad, and you're going to be under the effects of Might, Dexterity, and/or Constitution inspirations semi-regularly)

Class: Fighter (Devoted - Pike)/Wizard - No subclass Wizard, because you're going to need spells from three different schools, and you'll always be locked out of at least one if you pick a subclass. Devoted Fighter for extra Penetration with Pikes (To improve the damage of the Spirit Lance) as well as extra Crit damage. Using the Lance is part of the flavor of this build, it's meant to evoke traditional Irish folk heroes who fought with magic lances. 

Background: Deadfire Archipelago/Aristocrat (Picked for maximum conversation options along with Godlike, for those who care about those sorts of things. Otherwise, pick what you like). 

Faction: RDC - For WARFARE, CONQUEST, and SUBMARINES!

Skill Focus: Athletics and Alchemy (Actives)/Insight and Intimidate (Passives) - Athletics is invested into for a decent Second Wind as well as covering certain Watcher-only checks. Alchemy is for potions/poisons/drugs which, again, have been nerfed but are still worth using. Insight and Intimidate are for dialogue checks. Our character is meant to evoke one of the more traditional hot-blooded heroes. He's not particularly nice. 

Party: Eder (Swashbuckler) MT - Mechanics and Stealth/Streetwise and Survival, Maia (Ranger) Artillery - Stealth/Mechanics and Survival/Diplomacy, Ydwin (Mindstalker) Mechanics and Explosives/History and Metaphysics, Xoti (Priest) Alchemy and Arcana/Religion and Insight

Stats: With all appropriate bonuses factored in

20 Might (15 Base + 2 Berath's Blessing +1 Gift of the Machine +1 Permanent Stat boost Potion +1 Chameleon's Touch)

8 Constitution (6 Base + 2 Berath's Blessing)
19 Dexterity (15 Base +1 Nature Godlike +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Deadfire Archipelago) 
20 Perception (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing) 
20 Intellect (16 Base +1 Nature Godlike +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 
8 Resolve (6 Base +2 Berath's Blessing) 

Abilities: By level

Primary Grimoire - Llengrath's Martial Masteries
Secondary Grimoire - Ninagauth's Teachings

Level 1 - Disciplined Barrage/Thrust of Tattered Veils
Level 2 - Knock Down
Level 3 - Spirit Shield
Level 4 - Fighter Stances/Merciless Gaze
Level 5 - Two-Handed Fighting
Level 6 - Confident Aim
Level 7 - Disciplined Strikes/Combat Focus
Level 8 - Penetrating Strike 
Level 9 - Rapid Recovery
Level 10 - Arcane Dampener/Charge
Level 11 - Weapon Specialization
Level 12 - Fearless
Level 13 - Mob Stance/Rapid Casting
Level 14 - Unbending
Level 15 - Armored Grace
Level 16 - Martial Caster/Clear Out
Level 17 - Reaping the Whirlwind
Level 18 - Improved Critical
Level 19 - Wall of Draining/Weapon Mastery
Level 20 - Unbending Trunk

Gear: 

Weapon Proficiencies - Pike, 'natch. 

Pet: Cutthroat Cosmo for the recovery reduction

Weapons: "Citzal's Spirit Lance" is going to be the primary method of attacking once you get it. Otherwise, Wicked Beast. 

Armor: Miscreant's Leathers or Devil of Caroc Breastplate - Miscreant's Leathers offers decent armor bonuses at little to no recovery time with Cutthroat Cosmo active. DoC doesn't, but it has some nice enchantments that grant resistance to some nasty afflictions, and I'm not sure how much Armored Grace reduces the Recovery time by. I'd go with Miscreant's personally considering the fact that you get it super early... and plus it actually looks really stylish. Plus the 5% chance to just flat out ignore an attack is pretty nice, too. Even if it doesn't proc often, it'll proc at some point and might save your neck. 

Helm: Who needs a helm when you're a Godlike? Let those glorious horns/facial tumors show! 

Rings: Ring of Greater Regeneration/Chameleon's Touch - RoGR helps keep you alive, and Chameleon's Touch grants +1 Dex/+1 Int as well as bonuses to both Arcana and Athletics. Chameleon's Touch is a staple of a lot of my builds because it's obtainable early on, albeit it requires a pretty tough bounty. 

Cloak: Not a lot of good unique cloak options. I'd settle for a Cloak of Greater Protection (+10 to all Defenses except for Deflection. Your Deflection should be high enough with the spells you'll be using, plus this shores up your poor Fortitude. 

Gloves: Gauntlets of Discipline, especially if you don't take DoC Breastplate, for a total of +3 extra Discipline with this build. 

Belt: Gwyn's Bridal Garter: +1 Constitution and Resistance to Dexterity afflictions

Boots: Rakhan Field Boots

That about sums it up! Again, this is intended for people who want something a little different than just "Multiclass everything with Monk." I'll probably still go with the Sage variant, because that's a little bit more my taste, but I figured I'd make this one in case that didn't appeal to others on this board. 

What party would you use with this? I take it you'd take 2 melee front-liners and 2 back-liners, since this guy is more or less a mid-liner?

So how many of these builds have you finished the game with? Or at least reached end game?

No, I haven't even started the game. I've been reading the guides since the 5-6 days I've bought the game. I did the same for PoE 1 - I studied for like 2 weeks before I started playing a game, LOL ;)

So how many of these builds have you finished the game with? Or at least reached end game?

No, I haven't even started the game. I've been reading the guides since the 5-6 days I've bought the game. I did the same for PoE 1 - I studied for like 2 weeks before I started playing a game, LOL ;)

Oh I meant the OP, not you.

• Like 1

Oh I meant the OP, not you.

Ah, ok; oops!