Sage (Or Caster/Monk in general) Slow early game, but ramp up?

Hey guys, 

So I'm testing out a Sage in PotD right now (Helwalker/No Subclass) and I'm having a lot of fun with it from a roleplay perspective (Lots of points in Metaphysics and History) as well as a gameplay perspective (It's not just "unga-bunga damage"). That said, I kind of feel like it's a little slow (Which I know is kind of funny, considering it's a Monk) and I fold like a paper bag if an enemy so much as coughs on me (Which, I get, is part of the point of being a Helwalker). I can get through Port Maje just fine like this, but I had a few questions for people who have played Sage or similar Monk/Caster DPS (Well, Monk/Cipher or Monk/Druid). 

1. Should I attempt to go melee with this or just stick at range and cast spells? I've been trying to play this class as something of a mixed melee DPS/spellcaster, and I don't really think that that's working out too well. Trying to weave in a cast of each spell as I hit the enemy with my sword is more clunky than anything. Would it be better to just act as a speedy Wizard with bonus damage and attack from range/with reach weapons? 

2. Is the spell damage at least respectable later on? This is a bit of an objective question, but coming from a Marauder, who does amazing single target damage and ridiculous AoE (Though less so now with the nerfs to Lord Darryn's Voulge), I'll admit I'm a little spoiled when it comes to damage dealing classes. That being said, Wizards seem capable of dealing out decent AoE damage in their own right, it's mostly just the fact that none of them have a Perception of 20 or over, like yours truly. I know this isn't an MMO, and I'm not expecting DPS timers or parses or anything like that. Just... Will my Fireballs make the enemies go 'boom'? 

3. How many casts at each Power Level will I get by level 20, and is there a way to increase the number? I know there's items that give you extra casts of first level spells, and resting bonuses that do the same, but nothing beyond that. 

Basically, how many times do I get to blow people up per encounter, would I have more fun playing this at range (I'm beginning to think 'yes'), and will I be able to dish out respectable damage compared to the rest of my party? 

Also, is ranged Helwalker with Dance of Death a viable way to hit 10 Wounds without sticking your neck out too much, or should I just reroll to Nalpazca? 

Stay at range.  Easiest playstyle.  Monks/Spellcasters aren't that tanky unless you're investing a lot of spells for defense, in which case you may as well play Monk/Paladin.  

The problem with POTD is that unless you're playing a party of mass chanters, the enemies are going to swarm you even if you try to stay at range.  

Edited by Marigoldran

Stay at range.  Easiest playstyle.  Monks/Spellcasters aren't that tanky unless you're investing a lot of spells for defense, in which case you may as well play Monk/Paladin.  

The problem with POTD is that unless you're playing a party of mass chanters, the enemies are going to swarm you even if you try to stay at range.  

Hmm. Yeah, I suppose that's a problem - unless you make use of bottlenecks and checkpoints whenever they're present, and they aren't always. I'll stick at range though, that seems to make the most sense. Probably swap out Thrust of Tattered Veils for Chill Fog as well. 

Any thoughts as to the Helwalker/Dance of Death ranged question, or should I go ahead and stick with druglord Monk? 

You'll get "the long pain" relatively late as a multiclass and until then it is definitely no powerhouse since wizard is also one of the classes that starts out slow but get better and better in late levels. 

stuff like rogue, barb, paladin are definitely more frontloaded with rogue / fighter the most frontloaded classes in terms of abilities. 

Helwalker is chosen purely for its Str Bonus. It is not bad for spell casters in general as spells benefit more from Mig bonuses than Martial (Martial enjoy more diversity in dmg modifiers).

Helwalker also start combat with some wounds (New chars start with 2 and scale to 5 at later levels) so ramping up can be easier. Enduring Dance can be an option if you play keep away, also note if you use DoAM there is a self inflicted raw dmg that also can contribute in Wounds.

Nalpazca is a more comfortable playstyle (with slight inconvenience of popping drugs before fights. Also Helwalkers can pop drugs too) but less dmg output. Risk vs Reward.

Edited by mosspit

Monk/Wizard is... iffy.  The two don't synergize well until Spirit Lance, and that's very very late.

The problem with Wizard is your spells oftentimes kill your own party.  Unless you stick entirely to the Missile line, in which case: HelWalker.  

Edited by Marigoldran