I was experimenting with a helwalker monk and trickster rogue when i noticed this.

Tuotilo's Palm is a small shield and when the modal is active with this small shield it gives +25 recovery time penalty. This us negated if you select the unarmed model giving you +50% recovery penalty.

With very high deflection through the shield other items and mirror image, enemies miss often. When missed, you riposte but with small shield modal on you hit back with +15 accuracy often causing a critical. With swift flurry procs large damage.

Been a fun build so far.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the accuracy bonus from binding block doesn’t stack with anything else. I really hate that about weapon modals, since some of them provide unique effects that don’t have that problem and some of them don’t. A sufficiently tanky monk could get nearly the same accuracy bonus as from binding block almost all the time with dance of death.

Again...

Monk + any build = epic_win

The devs should just release a monk-themed game and get this out of their system. Maybe then we can have other, equally effective builds that don’t begin with, “Go Monk and...”

• Like 2

I was experimenting with a helwalker monk and trickster rogue when i noticed this.

Tuotilo's Palm is a small shield and when the modal is active with this small shield it gives +25 recovery time penalty. This us negated if you select the unarmed model giving you +50% recovery penalty.

With very high deflection through the shield other items and mirror image, enemies miss often. When missed, you riposte but with small shield modal on you hit back with +15 accuracy often causing a critical. With swift flurry procs large damage.

Been a fun build so far.

Beautiful synergy here, I will definitely roll a sword&shield monk with this. Trickster seems to be a nice combo because the deflection and riposte, maybe paladin and ranger is good too?

Been a fun build so far.

Beautiful synergy here, I will definitely roll a sword&shield monk with this. Trickster seems to be a nice combo because the deflection and riposte, maybe paladin and ranger is good too?

Monk with fist + palm shield is great. Running Xoti with this setup (and Wahaī Pōraga in second slot). No need for swords etc. The shield even has enchantments that either do +5 unarmed ACC or +10% unarmed dmg. Works for both: fist and shield.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Been a fun build so far.

Monk with fist + palm shield is great. Running Xoti with this setup (and Wahaī Pōraga in second slot). No need for swords etc. The shield even has enchantments that either do +5 unarmed ACC or +10% unarmed dmg. Works for both: fist and shield.

I'm playing a rogue(streetfighter) monk with max res & per , unarmed + shield. Rispose + swift flurry+ heartbeat drumming is awesome.

And you have uber dmg boost from rogue: + 50% deathblows, +65% sneak attack, +50% from heating up, +20% raw lash (deep wounds). You can go trikster for better def, but you will lose some dmg .

Then use a weapon. The unarmed bonus still applies to the shield and you can live on. ;)

How many weapons are there that aren’t outclassed by a monk’s fists? Even good damage options, like tarn’s respite seem like they’d deal significantly less damage. I guess scordeo’s edge might be better. But I doubt most monk’s could find a good reason to turn away from fists without feeling a heavy loss in damage.

Edited by grasida

Fist are surely a nice option.

But some enchantments are really nice - fists can't have those. Take Magistrate's Cudgel or Sun & Moon for example. Also the fists' modal is bad while those of clubs, swords and flails are pretty good or even awesome.

And fists only have crush damage.

However I was replying to a guy who can't stand the looks of fist + shield. Had nothing to do with dps etc.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I can't stand the look of fist + shield either! That's why I'm annoyed it seems fists have better DPS than weapons you'd expect to see paired with a buckler. And it's true other weapons can offer a lot of utility that fists can't offer. Magistrate's cudgel is really nice! But there are only so many uniques with strong utility enchantments and only so many monk builds wielding that shield that you'd want to put them on.

While it's true that fists only have crush damage, crush damage tends to be very useful and fists have an extra base point of penetration. The fist modal is bad and the sword modal is good, but aside from fists having two points more penetration than swords at comparable levels, monks get tenacious fairly early, which makes both modals pointless.

Of course, at the end of the day, what you think looks cool is more important than what's strictly the most effective. I'm just in the mood to complain since I liked the design of unarmed as a cheap, effective option that was on par with or only a hair short of other weapons in damage. I don't like the design of unarmed almost always being the best source of damage at the expense of fun modals and enchantments.