Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Real and Deep Problem of Single Class...

Priest Ressources Single Class Balthazar is the best Mozinor

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Fighter, Paladin's lvl 8, 9 abilities are meh, there's little reason to single class them.

Rogue is weird because his lvl 8, 9 abilities are OK, but... Gambit is a bad design because it excludes you from using other abilities. It's a 100% refundable ability when u have 10+ Guile, which result in you can just respec and remove all your other active abilities. The ability itself is not bad, but it's bad in the rogue tree.

Ranger lvl 8 abilities are good after new patch, lvl 9 is meh.

Barb lvl 8, 9 abilities are good.

Monk has insane lvl 8, 9 abilities even after nerf.

Chanter has summon drake, no doubt how powerful it is. The 12 jump Tornado is also very powerful.

Single class wizard is very strong, same as priest. They still dominate the later game with their empowered AOE blasts. Those who said single class Priest is weak, you shall try the lvl 8, 9 empowered blasts, they are really good.

Cipher is meh honestly, except Ascendent who spam Time Parasite.

Druid to me is like an inferior version of wizard, that's all.

Edited by dunehunter, 10 June 2018 - 10:16 PM.

• evilcat likes this

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 918 posts

Extra effort to nerf multiclass would be a waste of resources.

What can be done, quick:

30 worthy upgrades +extras per class. You can go single, spend your 28 points and it will be good. Need some abillity upgrade variant, or abillities which you can take instead cripping strike, but overall you dont end "I took everything good, and still have 10 points"

The Cake, some very good (not OP) abillities at tier VIII and IX. Like Zeal on Kill, or Stun for Fun, Shake it Off, NotBroken Will, Inspiring Presence.

Rogue Berzerker will be glassier cannon. And Wizard/Fighter is just different archetype. But it is more about feelings that we got something, and it is unique.

Khagmas

Khagmas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Steam:Gwynrick
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Maybe can solve the problem by adding new skills to the last 2 columns ( tier 8-9 ) inaccessible to multiclasses:

These skills can increase its maximum resource on 2-4 scores for solo classes of Paladins, Fighters, Barbarians, Monks, Rangers and Rogues.

And for Priests, Wizards and Druids instead, this skill will increase the maximum possible use of spells per battle by 1-2 for each level of spells.

For Chanters and Ciphers this skill will increase the character's power by 1-2, which will make their abilities stronger for a solo class.

Edited by Khagmas, 11 June 2018 - 03:39 AM.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The problem is a lot of abilities are broken or crappy and so characters which pick their abilities from larger pools -- i.e., multiclass characters, but also wizards -- have an inherent advantage, because they can cherrypick the good stuff more effectively. 

The game needs a generalized positive balancing pass.

edit: ciphers, and to a lesser extent priests and druids, and possibly other classes as well (maybe barbarians?) need more active powers to choose from at higher levels. 

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy, 11 June 2018 - 04:01 AM.

• evilcat and theBalthazar like this

KDubya

KDubya

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1543 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

First game (PotD) I had Xoti as a single class Priest, second game went with monk multiclass.

I think she was better as the pure priest. Mainly for the faster access to the good spells at PL 3, especially the one with the big accuracy buff that I can't recall the name of. Early game potD is tough and its mainly due to missing too much. A spell that changes that is huge. Plus I keep her with her lantern and scythe which are pretty bad weapons as a monk since fists are so much better.

A true powergamer would use a hired single class priest until level 11 or so and then replace with a multiclass. No way to attempt to balance this.

For Monks I find going pure class to be the better choice due to faster and more plentiful ability picks. Plus the level IX whispers attack is really good, plus the upgrade to Flagellent's Path. All game you will hit harder with your fists and have +4 accuracy and +1 penetration with power level IX getting you another +4 accuracy and +1 penetration with Prestige. Early game you get Thunderous Blows for +2 penetration and +5 might when it will really make a difference.

Monks do well in a multi where you can spend most of your picks in the Monk side. So classes like Rogue (mainly want the sneak attack, deep wounds, and one or two strike abilities), Cipher (mainly want the soul whip, extra weapon penetration, borrowed instinct and the charms while giving the Cipher side the best focus generating weapons - monk fists), Ranger (if you want a pet) or Wizard (defensive buffs and get offensive spells from free Grimoires)

I find the system pretty well balanced considering the hundreds of possible multiclasses. I do think a level XIII ability that gives two 'Empower' per encounter instead of one additional 'Empower' before rest would be much better.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

First game (PotD) I had Xoti as a single class Priest, second game went with monk multiclass.

I think she was better as the pure priest. Mainly for the faster access to the good spells at PL 3, especially the one with the big accuracy buff that I can't recall the name of. Early game potD is tough and its mainly due to missing too much. A spell that changes that is huge. Plus I keep her with her lantern and scythe which are pretty bad weapons as a monk since fists are so much better.

A true powergamer would use a hired single class priest until level 11 or so and then replace with a multiclass. No way to attempt to balance this.

For Monks I find going pure class to be the better choice due to faster and more plentiful ability picks. 

Yeah, in that case there's very little synergy between monks and priests so the wider pool of powers doesn't add much. 

This is all a matter of relative degree -- there are single class builds that are perfectly viable (e.g., wizards or monks, both of which have a very good selection of top-level abilities) and there are multi-class builds that are worse than either as a single class (for example, pairing any two caster classes tends to be bad because you don't have time to use both sets of abilities in a typical fight). 

But generally speaking, presuming you pick a combo that has some synergy, you'll be stronger than either single class would, because you've got a wider pool of abilities to choose from and can build to emphasize the synergy. See, e.g., Fighter/Rogues vs either fighters or rogues. 

Verde

Verde

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1658 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG

Access to what ? : p

What is the spell that is so crazy ?

An this/theses spell are = to a complete other class ?...

Incarnate and the subclass specialty spells.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Priest, Ressources, Single, Class, Balthazar is the best, Mozinor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users