Hey guys,

Just a quick question - I was wondering how important Might was for dialogue checks in this game? In the first one, it was used for a lot of intimidation type choices - throwing people around and breaking stuff, that sort of thing. However, with the addition of so many conversation type skills it seems like that would be more covered by the concept of Intimidate. I ask because the build I'm using has pretty low Might (11 to start, 12 later on before gear) but I still want to play that sort of intimidating/rough type of character. Could I do that by just investing in Intimidate? 

(That said, in exchange for low Might I max out both Perception and Intellect, which I think is really cool). 

Hey guys,

Just a quick question - I was wondering how important Might was for dialogue checks in this game? In the first one, it was used for a lot of intimidation type choices - throwing people around and breaking stuff, that sort of thing. However, with the addition of so many conversation type skills it seems like that would be more covered by the concept of Intimidate. I ask because the build I'm using has pretty low Might (11 to start, 12 later on before gear) but I still want to play that sort of intimidating/rough type of character. Could I do that by just investing in Intimidate? 

(That said, in exchange for low Might I max out both Perception and Intellect, which I think is really cool). 

for dialogues, the checks is mostly skills + perception. perception and insight often overlap in dialogue checks.  need 5 insight or 16 perception.  that kinda thing.  not too many might dialogue checks.  not too many attribute dialogue checks other than perception.

however, is more than a handful o' might cutscene checks.  come to a door or have a jungle brush encounter or need get past a rusted grate or heave a grappling hook up to a high enough window, then might will be checked.  more than a small number o' such cutscene slide might checks.  

likely we did not clarify, so apologies in advance.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Might is the most common one I’ve seen for skill checks where failure actually matters. For example, failure could result in an injury or not being able to investigate a ship, etc. Perception is checked a ton, but it is almost always just flavor text (noticing something) and has no impact. Stealth is checked a lot, but often it doesn't really matter if you succeed or not since eventually you want to confront whoever you are spying on anyway.

Note: Athletics is often used along with might in a lot of skill checks, so either/both work.

Minor (passive) skills are used a lot for solving dialogue problems. More so than attributes or active skills. Active skills are mostly used in scripted encounters. Whenever there is an attribute check gor dialogue, sometimes a skill can be used instead or in addition to. Like arcana/intellect, perception/insight, might/athletics.

Intimidate is usually an “evil” option and diplomancy is the “good/reasonable” option.

Edited by Braven