Ending was my favorite part of the game

In short, the question was: "Why should my Watcher go after Eothas in Ukaizo?", the possible reply imho is "because the Watcher is still under Berath's thumb and she will kill them if they don't do as asked".

I dunno. I figure the Watcher has fulfilled their part of the bargain at that point - they've figured out where Eothas is going and what he intends. If Berath really wants to kill my Watcher for not going the extra mile through the Dire Storms of Direness in order to try and do... something... well, bring on the smiting, I guess! 

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 1

Honestly, I can't see any reason for my Watchers not to go on home after Ashen Maw. They got their soul back and, as I think Atsura points out, there's no way to stop Eothas from doing what he's doing - might as well go on about your own business. Ukaizo can stay lost. But then the in-born curiosity of an adventurer kicks in and it's off into the storm... :grin:

It's a good thing the Watcher does go, though, because Eothas really needed someone to turn off the storms and report what happened at Ukaizo for his plan to have a good chance of working.

The only reason that comes to mind to keep chasing Eothas is because Berath (+ the other gods) asks you to try and reason with him: you might have recovered your soul, but the chime that she can use to control/destroy you is still there and not complying to that last request means death/suffering at her hand.

IIRC it's Eothas that frees the Watcher from Berath's influence after the last talk with him, so before then you're stll in her grasp. Basically, it's just a matter of self preservation. =]

Yeah, but she clearly had other options. Not just the Watcher. As evidenced if you say no at the start.

So why is Berath so dumb that they don't send any backup plans? What if the Watcher drowned during the storm? What is their contingency then?

Oh right, nothing would change and the game's main story would play out essentially the same just without the watcher being a feckless fool. 

Dumb ?

really?

I personally , always felt like Berath well..wasn't ok...but...compared to the others Gods who were going bipolére about stopping him or killing him...and accusing each others...she seemed so zen about it . That's like Hades being zen knowing the underworld is about to get new design interior and be all Barbie pink..it's so very very weird . 

So maybe the ending doesn't touch them ..or the effect will take so long...she know there is no point in spazzing in front of the inevitable..

Or she always had a plan....

Or she is welcoming this..'ending' ...

But more likely is that she's dumb because all the gods who show up in this game can be called dumb.

• Like 1

I thought the ending was appropriately somber.  Well thought out, tranquil.  The plot kind of grabbed me in the middle of the overall narrative, when it became clear that Eothas wasn't going to be stopped.  I've played these games ever since BG1, and it was refreshing to see a twist in the formula.  

The only thing about the whole last sequence that annoyed me was the fight with the construct.  The game didn't have a last boss, so it felt like one was shoehorned in because it would be expected.  Small complaints though.  I thought the main plot of Deadfire was refreshing.

That the gods don't have contingency plans and that she might have other options are a different issue.

Well, they didn't expect one of their own to go breaking the very stuff that gives them their power effectively overnight. That said, they do have a contingency plan that involves either a. possessing their godlike or b. nomming their souls like Snickers bars to get a 1-up and deal with this crisis (but it's too late for that by the time you learn what Eothas intends).

• Like 1

I wasn't too impressed with it tbh.

I was expecting some tough fights...but it turned out to be nothing but a walk-and-talk for the most part. The guardian was meh, as were all dragons. Just a cake run, was a joke lol.

And you *can* influence Eothas. At least if you tell him about Rymrgand's idea, he will eventually do it.