The overall dearth of low-level gems

Insolentius

Question

Low-level gems (like Ta Ondra Tara or Pyrite) that are used for low-level crafting recipes are incredibly rare (which doesn't make sense considering their low cost of like 80cp). After scouring about 70% of the map and thoroughly ransacking every dungeon, I have found less than 10 total. Some merchants occasionally sell one or two, but that's not nearly enough for regular crafting and enchanting. Similarly, I have found only a single Amber. Is this intended?

Unlike the original Pillars of Eternity, Deadfire doesn't feature an option to automatically procure crafting materials over time. To compensate, merchants and alchemists in the Deadfire should stock larger numbers and variety of crafting ingredients in general.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

I started visiting all components merchants in neketaka whenever I'm in the neighborough, that really helped and I now have much more pyrite than I need. Never had to buy ta ondra tara myself but I see them selling good amounts of that as well. Amber is less frequent (even tho my bottleneck is actually money and emeralds or sapphires) but that might be intended to make you choose the upgrades carefully.

Never had to buy ta ondra tara myself but I see them selling good amounts of that as well. 

Then there's something wrong with my game, because the merchants usually sell only or two at any given time (on the off chance that they actually have it in stock), while Pyrite is even harder to find. For the sake of convenience, these types of merchants should be selling larger numbers of crafting and food ingredients.

• Like 1

Hmm, I have to disagree with you about the Ta Ondra. Between The Dark Cupboard, the alchemist shop next door, the various shops in Delver's Row, and the Treasure Trove (Dunnage) I see a huge stock of Ta Ondra - and have found very many in multiple playthroughs in containers - not to mention it's one of the most common gems to drop off killing "kith" enemies.

Amber is a bit more rare to buy, yes, but the Treasure Trove in Dunnage restocks 2-3 every three days. Not to mention that Amber drops incredibly commonly off Xuirips (which has been the case since PoE1).

I can however agree that shops should stock more, though. Beings as, in order to get a shop to restock you need to wait three days, which will generally cost you more than it's worth in crew supplies and wages. This can be avoided while in Neketaka, however, as you can simply stick your entire crew in the "Known Sailors" area and avoid losing money daily entirely. Which obviously doesn't help with trying to get Amber.

Aloth: "Vela, that's not a very nice word... Where did you learn that?"

Vela: "Uncle Serafen."

Aloth: "I see.. We'll just have to have a little chat then, wont we?"