Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Obsidian Forum Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BruceVC

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by BruceVC

  1. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/social-media-democracy-trust-babel/629369/ I highly recommend everyone reads this link, it criticizes both Republicans and Democrats but its more about the insidious influence of SM I agree with some of it and I can see the damage SM has done but I dont agree with all of it because SM is just a tool. The article makes 3 suggestions that are interesting @Guard Dog @rjshae @Gorth @Amentep @Hurlshot @Gfted1 @alanschu you guys will find it particularly interesting
  2. @ShadySands is saying that sounds like his in-laws because they believe the Russian propaganda, thats my understanding? And we fine with the word madness, its not a stretch at all
  3. I agree, if you want to spend maybe 10 minutes doing your own research or following any international media house most of the stories about Putins War are true @213374U I would recommend you stop streaming RT as your news source around Putins War, its well known to biased and pushes Putins propaganda. The worst lies I have heard from Russia is directly from the Russian ambassador in SA when he use to do interviews in the beginning ( they have stopped interestingly enough ) He stated on a talk show publicly that " civilians and civilian building are not being targeted and its the Ukrainian Neo-Nazis and freed Ukrainian prisoners that are guilty of executing people and bombing hospitals "
  4. Yes, from all media coverage the availability of food and supplies is almost gone and as you said they surrounded But as @xzar_montymentioned would you want to surrender to the likes of the Russian military in Ukraine considering how some civilians and Ukrainian military have been treated ?
  5. Yes the defeat of the valiant defenders in Mariupol is definitely imminent. The city has been basically bombed to the ground and supplies are limited Many of the Ukrainian military in Mariupol are prepared to fight to the end and make a last stand. Its brave and tragic but I think they not surrendering because its a form symbolism and being opposed to Putins War History will remember people like the defenders of Mariupol and when Putins War is over I guarantee you a statue will be erected to honor them. And a movie\movies should be made ..........in fact several movies about Putins War will be made
  6. You not allowed to crack jokes on this topic, its too serious
  7. Its a pity people on the far right in the US want to take legitimate concerns with CRT ,or similar topics like project 1619, and turn that into discrimination against LGBT Never underestimate the propensity or appetite for homophobia from people. Its basically the only form of bigotry that is still legally implemented in countries like Russia, in several counties in Africa and the ME
  8. It really sounds like you defending the Russian media updates as possibly credible and or truthful? And it sounds like you suggesting their is a Russian perspective where Putin didnt lie to the world and didnt invade Ukraine? What exact " version of facts " should we be believing? I realize you never respond to my posts but this week after ignoring me for at least 18-24 months you responded to a post I made to tell me I was wrong about something so I hope you can muster that same herculean effort to answer the question " what truth should we be reading and believing " ?
  9. Yes I had my booster and the rest of my family did as well. It doesn't last very long this variant in SA for most people. Normally 3-4 days of flu symptoms like fatigue and feverish. I think it would be worse if people weren't vaccinated? I think its spreading because we have stopped our lockdowns so its inevitable and this new variant is the most contagious
  10. Thanks, I will go through this link later after work. I would like to read good new stories
  11. No, I am waiting for 7 days because I could be in incubation period and a test would be pointless if Im not showing symptoms
  12. My sister has the virus and her fiancé and so has my brothers wife. This new variant is highly contagious and almost impossible to avoid exposure if you want a semblance of a normal life in the sense you socialize in bars or at friends houses, you see family and friends for meals, you work at different customers, you have social activities like going to gym or being part of sports clubs or you travel
  13. No, its nothing like that. Thanks for the suggestion but Monty is right. Putins war is madness and the media commentary from Russia is pure propaganda from Putin and it is irrational, inconsistent, illogical, spurious and hyperbolic and it must be rejected with the contempt it deserves
  14. No Elerond that sounds very left and very liberal and very worrying....lets not start lowering the level of education for technical subjects like finance or engineering ?
  15. I have the rest of the week off because I cut my Easter extended holiday short so Im planning on playing loads of modded Oblivion. I have only played 12 hours or so due to RL commitments and the game CTD But its much more stable now after I started using Wyre Bash and other mod managers like LOOT So in others words I dont recommend Vortex as your mod manager for Oblivion
  16. But why would any math book have something like SEL in it? Read this is link and tell me how this is relevant to learning math? https://www.nu.edu/resources/social-emotional-learning-sel-why-it-matters-for-educators/ @Hurlshot When Hurlshot mentioned SEL on another post I had never really heard of it, Im sure my brothers who have kids know about it. And I'm glad he raised it because I am a little concerned about it but not in the same way I had and have some concerns with CRT So I am just going to follow how SEL is implemented and hopefully its truly beneficial for children because end of the day that should be the most important objective for all of us " whats should kids be learning at schools " But going back to my question, what has SEL got to do with math? @Guard Dog GD you understand math and how its applied in your field, what has SEL got to do with math and why should it be in any math textbook
  17. Gfted1 good to see being more active in this thread, Im not sure why you have been so quiet with posts around Putins War? But thats in the past, welcome home
  18. More Putins War humor with the absurdity of the reasons for the invasion
  19. Gromnir are you still blocking my posts, I hope not because I miss our debates I promise not to make anymore jokes about guns on sale in bakeries or suggesting that GD has been influenced by moving to a liberal state Normally I dont mind people ignoring me but its different with you, I do mind
  20. GD somehow I knew you were going to say " I dont think I could live their " You comparing it to the beauty and serenity of Cold Creek and the majestic wilderness of Tennessee Or maybe I am wrong, why are you glad you dont live their ?
  21. When Putins War is over this will be one of the most damaging and long term economic consequences. This type of brain drain cant be replaced easily This is actually the perfect time for all those who dislike and mistrust the West and its ideology to immigrate to Russia. Russia will need committed people and I can imagine getting a work visa and citizenship should be easier than anytime before? And you can learn Russia, I wouldnt see that as an obstacle ? Their is absolutely no reason for anyone living in a Western country to be forced to be part of that type of corrupt, Colonial, Imperialist and Capitalist system? Strike while the iron is hot I say
  22. This virus is rearing its head again in SA, we just got back from our mountain Easter getaway and one of my brothers after flying back to Cpt started getting flu symptoms and he tested positive. I drove up with him for 2 hours in a car and we spent the whole Easter weekend together. And yesterday my sister started complaining about a sore throat yet her fiancé feels fine. We now all flying back to Cpt today because we dont want to stuck in Durban recovering from Covid I feel fine but incubation takes 2-7 days normally so I will know in the next week or so But next week I was supposed to go to JHB for 5 days with friends to stay in a tourist town called Dullstroom which is renowned for trout fishing and hiking. I decided to cancel that holiday trip because of the potential of having the virus and spreading it to my JHB friends
  23. That looks very good, I really enjoyed the first 3 seasons so a fourth season confirmed is excellent news
  24. Oh, by using an example I see what you saying. That makes sense. If you dont mind me asking how do you know this because I want to mention this to people I know who have similar concerns to me but they are much more paranoid and anxious about it. Because I know these people will ask me " how do I know if I have never seen the curriculum and I dont live in the US ( these are US family friends and work acquaintances and this sometimes comes up as concerns they have ) Because I know about 1619 project and that is different to CRT that gets taught at universities as a type of legal course.
  25. Yes I agree that Im surprised I cant find a proper example of CRT for schools because we know its a university course so surly it should be easy to find the school curriculum but I have searched for it and I cant definitively find it which makes me question its reality? And white genocide is definitely hyperbolic in the SA reality , Im not sure if you aware that this false narrative exists in SA and I can state with absolute certainty its not true But like all these topics it has some foundation It comes from a type of crime, referred to as " farm killings", we experience where whole families are murdered on farms and the murder of whole families is mostly white Afrikaners. But more black people are murdered in SA than white people but demographically black people make up 83% of our population so in any country with a high murder rate you would expect to see this But back to the farm killings, many white Afrikaner farmers live in fear of their families being killed which you can understand and some of these Afrikaners have suggested its genocide of white people and our government is behind it which is ridiculous. I have read the transcripts of the people caught who commit these heinous crimes and they mostly come across as suffering from something similar to PTSD and their reasons dont really make sense but they are almost all suffering from sort of cognitive disorder So these terrible killings are more acts of rage and it must be heavily condemned but our government is not behind it and black people are not involved in some grand scheme in SA to kill all white people. These farm killings also target maybe 9% of white people because that is the total number of white farmers compared to all white people who have other sources of income and live in cities like me And to be honest its frustrating to hear well meaning, and some racist and not well meaning, comments from people outside of SA asking me " what about the white genocide in your country" because the word genocide has a specific meaning and thats not what is going on in SA and it creates an unfair and inaccurate perception of SA. We have more than enough real problems and acts of crime without someone exaggerating this type of crime Okay I would like to believe that but why does the link say several times things like "28 (21 percent) are not included on the adopted list because they incorporate prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT. So this is occurring not before it gets to books, its already in some textbooks. In other words it seems to be very specific around an actual topic that is in submitted textbooks according to the link? I know I am repeating what I said to Malc but it still suggests their must be something real to it, I am not sure if I am explaining it properly?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.