Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Freedom?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10431 posts

So Im unsure how my views aren't my own?

That's a start. Still a long way to go, but it's a start :)

:lol:

No need to be so enigmatic, please explain how my views aren't my own?

Hint #1... Ask yourself, why do you hold the views you do? Were you raised to have those views, did you step out of the other side of bed one morning and had a different set of world views, did something happen in life that gave you certain views, etc. Keep asking the question and answer yourself honestly why you have those views (don't need to share them with anyone than yourself). If you think deep enough about it, you might just realise that very few of those views are your own, it's assumed views which you have taken upon yourself. For me, the key question is, Why did I do that? and what/who was behind it? (individuals, organisations, some gestalt "entity" etc.). I ask myself such questions all the time.
  • BruceVC likes this

Bogarus

Bogarus

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 0 posts

Let's get a little philosophical.

To you, what is freedom?

It's your personal free time when nobody restrict you, when you can do whatever you want + high spending power when all your basic necessities are satisfied. In result you can use your free time for creativity, art etc. More such free time without lowering of living standards ( become unemployed is not same thing as become free ) = more freedom . After Revolution  of 1917 Bolshevicks first in the world reduce work time from 12 hours  per day to 8 hours per day - by this they increase freedom of people ( and capitalists has been forced do same thing later for avoiding similar rebellions ). All modern talks about freedom as freedom of opressors elections is just substitution of concepts.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4980 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

understand they live in a fee society

Yep.

• BruceVC likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4326 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

understand they live in a fee society

Yep.

Well spotted and ironic I suppose  8)

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So Im unsure how my views aren't my own?

That's a start. Still a long way to go, but it's a start :)

:lol:

Hint #1... Ask yourself, why do you hold the views you do? Were you raised to have those views, did you step out of the other side of bed one morning and had a different set of world views, did something happen in life that gave you certain views, etc. Keep asking the question and answer yourself honestly why you have those views (don't need to share them with anyone than yourself). If you think deep enough about it, you might just realise that very few of those views are your own, it's assumed views which you have taken upon yourself. For me, the key question is, Why did I do that? and what/who was behind it? (individuals, organisations, some gestalt "entity" etc.). I ask myself such questions all the time.

Okay, I see your point. I need time to think about this and compose my response 

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

Only dogs are free. They can piss or screw in public and no one cares!

Leash laws, licensing laws, et al everywhere says otherwise.

Not where I live brother. I do have to buy them a license every year but leash laws and "no dogs allowed" signs do not exist here. I can have a bonfire in my yard, shoot my rifle from my porch or play my music as loud as I care to. I wouldn't call it heaven on earth but it's certainly better than a lot of places.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have a relevant response, I enjoy these chats with you Gorthfucious  :geek:

At the  premise you right in the sense nothing I know or believe is uniquely my own views  but this is exactly what I would expect and rely on 

Mankind has been growing and improving for thousands of years and its due to this history and numerous mistakes that allow us nowadays to believe and support certain laws and views. I like the fact we have become enlightened about how to create sustainable  economies and how we support Democracies

So going back to your overall point, yes I know what I believe is not my own original thoughts and ideology but that doesnt mean its not something that offers us a better way of living and interacting in the global world 

Another way of making my point would be " what thinking or views would be better than believing in things like human rights and trying to reduce poverty levels and ensuring we live countries that offer Democratic governments " ?

LuccA

LuccA

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Let's get a little philosophical.

To you, what is freedom?

I will get very philosophical then:

I think total freedom is reaching the point where you can act without fear, be it of some external force or of something in yourself, your future or your past. 

• Hurlshot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users