Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

EUIX

EUIX

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you look at the "first peek" trailer, it definitely looks like there were significant downgrades. Around the 2:00 mark, I remember being amazed by how fluid and impressive the model animations were (look at the way the character runs up the path and shifts their weight when turning). 

Edited by EUIX, 12 March 2017 - 05:28 PM.

kensu

kensu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts

I wonder if the changes weren't to get rid of an "uncanny valley" effect. That video has always bothered me, and I've never been able to figure out why. It was like I was watching a claymation video. The ripples in the water especially feel wrong... Anyone else get a similar vibe?

Edited by kensu, 12 March 2017 - 07:18 PM.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3149 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

They drastically reduced it, but people still complain in the final game that characters are moving weird. I remember the alpha or beta to have the same movement as in the video above and while it looked cool, it played really bad. Basically every time you clicked somewhere you had to wait a second or two till the characters started moving at all.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10090 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, they still have that problem...

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well, they still have that problem...

No. I mean, yes, they do, but it's nothing like the ice skating madness of the first playable version. :)

Katphood

Katphood

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1194 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Boy, is it fun to lie and to misinform people in this game.   :dancing:

Edited by Katphood, 15 March 2017 - 03:48 AM.

kensu

kensu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts

Why am I trying to fix the resonance chamber? I gotta be honest, I've forgotten why, assuming I ever even knew.

I know I smashed into it when I fell, is that the only reason I'm trying to fix it?

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Why am I trying to fix the resonance chamber? I gotta be honest, I've forgotten why, assuming I ever even knew.
I know I smashed into it when I fell, is that the only reason I'm trying to fix it?

It should somehow help you fight Sorrow (I didn't finished game myself yet so don't know either)

Agiel

Agiel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 567 posts

Boy, is it fun to lie and to misinform people in this game.   :dancing:

I certainly had a lot of fun with being cagey about being a Watcher at the start of Pillars of Eternity, too.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10761 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Finally got around to playing it.  Boy, is there a lot of reading in this game.  :shifty:

It hasn't drawn me in yet like PST did, or even BG and the like.  I think PoE got me hooked right at the start more.

We'll see how it goes as I play more.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10761 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm still trying to figure out what it is I'm supposed to be doing.  I mean, I understand what the quest logs are telling me I should be doing, but I'm not sure *why*.

Am I supposed to be confused about my motivations the entire game?

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm still trying to figure out what it is I'm supposed to be doing.  I mean, I understand what the quest logs are telling me I should be doing, but I'm not sure *why*.

The device your crash to the Earth damaged (the crystal resonance chamber) was the Changing God's last ditch effort to stop the Sorrow. You're trying to find someone to help you repair it. I'm not sure since it's been a while but the issue should come up through a memory when you examine the chamber at the beginning of the game.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10761 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Combat is tedious.  It's especially tedious because it seems like I waste half of my turns moving into position because the enemy is always "too far away", then have to wait for a half dozen slow moving enemies to just walk around for a few seconds before finally attacking.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Found Peerless, did you? ;)

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10761 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Found Peerless, did you? ;)

Yes.  And I was kicking his ass until the game decided to just freeze on me, forcing me to have to quit and re-start.  I was literally about to drop an AoE bomb-type thing on him that would have taken the rest of his HP when the game just froze.

Come to think of it, the only two times the game has frozen were during combat.

kensu

kensu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts

Well, whaddya know, the bickering companions and not knowing what the resonance chamber does are actually plot points... You live, you learn...

kensu

kensu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts

When the Endless Gate cultists managed to open up the Endless Gate, I was kind of disappointed that a scripted sequence didn't start where an inconspicuous NPC from Sagus Cliffs would come in, and throw himself into the portal to close it. :D

siiiigh, I miss Icewind Dale.

• Valmy likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Is it really that great? I've been hearing mixed reviews...

I never played the first one lol I'm gonna wait til it gets a remaster/HD version. I don't care how long it takes.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3149 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'll doubt the remastered version will be better than the current with high-res patch.

Jozape

Jozape

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't think the enhanced edition will change much with respect to the game's feel since it's not that biased towards violent encounters. At best you might get a not much better user interface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users