Loading screen game crash

Youngx

Question

Hi, game has had a few random crashes, all of which have occurred during the loading screen.  The first few times I was able to just re load the game and then it would be fine during the second loading attempt.  However, trying to load from Valewood to Gilded Vale has produced a crash in every attempt.  I have tried 7 or 8 times now.  I tried fooling around with the resolution and some other misc. options, windowed mode etc, but nothing seems to have fixed it.

I have attached the output_log.txt file below.  If you require more information please direct me on what you need and how to submit it.  Thanks.

edit:  System specs

Intel Core 2 PCU 6700 @ 2.66 GHz

3 gigs of ram

Windows Vista 32 bit

AMD Radeon 6800

output_log.txt

Edited by Youngx
  • Like 1

Hrmm yes that may be the problem, this is the header from the error.log file.   Weird that it loaded everything else almost seamlessly, and runs the game great.. must be a big jump in zone area to Gilded Vale I guess?

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.6.1p2_961a19933c56]

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module mono.dll at 001b:101192aa.

Error occurred at 2015-03-26_140624.
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity.exe, run by Evan.
73% memory in use.
3070 MB physical memory [820 MB free].
0 MB paging file [3667 MB free].
2048 MB user address space [420 MB free].
Write to location 02000000 caused an access violation.

Context:
EDI:    0x01000000  ESI: 0x2da61840  EAX:   0x00040000
EBX:    0x2dab6378  ECX: 0x02000000  EDX:   0x00000000
EIP:    0x101192aa  EBP: 0x0012f31c  SegCs: 0x0000001b

EFlags: 0x00210206  ESP: 0x0012f2f8  SegSs: 0x00000023

I'm running into the same issue trying to travel to Valewood for the first time.  My PC is way above min specs. I don't seem to be crashing, I just get stuck on the loading screen.  While there, I can hit Esc and hear the menu toggle on and off, causing the creepy whispers to turn on and off as well.  I've tried 3 times so far.

Interestingly enough I watched my memory usage while trying to zone and I never get above 2 gigs actually used before it crashes.  Unless there is something else going on somewhere I don't know about... it doesn't seem as though I am exceeding my memory usage.  I can't be the only 32 bit user trying to run the game right now?

The numbers I see are similar to what is in the report, around the 75% mark for memory use.

Anyone else?

I got the same bug.. And my specs are above the minimum as well so it can't be spec related.. I read that somebody got it fixed by disablind some GPU setting (from nvidia) but honestly that makes no sense.. It must be something else?

I've read the Nvidia fix as well but not sure what the equivalent is for Radeon users?

Mine is always a hard crash, as in the game shuts down and an error message pops up telling me where to go to find the log file.  Exact same point every time, will load for about 5 seconds then crash on that screen.  I've fiddled with so many settings now can't figure it out.

I solved this issue for me.  My situation is pretty unique and might not apply to most configurations, but essentially my user profile directory filled.  For most people, this would mean your C:\ is 100% full. Clean up some unneeded files and you might resolve this issue.  

My configuration is somewhat rare, as I have a junction point for my user profile. The partition assigned to that junction point filled, so my solution was to both clean up crap as well as expand the disk.

Hopefully this helps someone!

SLATE

As long as your system can support it, you can upgrade to a 64 bit version of Windos Vista and onward for free, correct?

That might be the best option.   I've seen a few 64 bit users stating that they are crashing at the same part, but I would say 80% at least are 32 bit users with lots more 64 bit users claiming it works fine.

Anyone have the step by step for re installing Windows 64 bit with the least amount of work/loss to files?

Eurician just curious, what are your system specs?  Are you trying to run a 32 bit OS as well?  Will be good to find some sort of commonality for them to look at and solve it faster.

yes:

Window 7 32bit

4 gb ram, 

HD 7770

AMD X2 250 3,0 GHZ

Edited by Eurician

Yeah, I have the exact same issue. Trying to get to Gilded Vale from Valewood crashes the game every time. The loading screen comes up, runs for a while, then it's straight to desktop.

Windows Vista 32-bit

Q6600 2.4 gig quad core

Nvidia GTX 560 Ti

4 gig ram

As long as your system can support it, you can upgrade to a 64 bit version of Windos Vista and onward for free, correct?

That might be the best option.   I've seen a few 64 bit users stating that they are crashing at the same part, but I would say 80% at least are 32 bit users with lots more 64 bit users claiming it works fine.

Anyone have the step by step for re installing Windows 64 bit with the least amount of work/loss to files?

Nope.  You cannot do an inplace upgrade from 32bit to 64bit.  Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for anyone with Windows 7 or 8 though.

I have tried a lot of different combinations and I still can't get this to work.

Any updates from the support staff?  

Only this for now:

There are reports of reporting crashing when transitioning on 32-bit machines.  We are aware of the issue and attempting to fix it.  This issue did come up on Wasteland 2, which is another Unity project, and a workaround was discovered by their fans: here

You can change your system settings on your computer to increase RAM used by a single application.  However, there are inherent risks involved when changing settings involving your operating system and any attempts to change your system settings will be at your own risk.  Obsidian is not liable for any issues that might occur with those settings.

I have tried a lot of different combinations and I still can't get this to work.

Any updates from the support staff?  

Only this for now:

There are reports of reporting crashing when transitioning on 32-bit machines.  We are aware of the issue and attempting to fix it.  This issue did come up on Wasteland 2, which is another Unity project, and a workaround was discovered by their fans: here

You can change your system settings on your computer to increase RAM used by a single application.  However, there are inherent risks involved when changing settings involving your operating system and any attempts to change your system settings will be at your own risk.  Obsidian is not liable for any issues that might occur with those settings.

I can confirm that this works for me, at least for the location where everyone is experiencing it (Valewood).

This worked for me, hopefully it is just a temporary fix as altering our system at a risk to the user is not ideal for a video game!

I trust Obsidian will come up with a solution.  Hopefully the 64 bit trolls can stay out of this thread, we know we are running 32 bit, our systems are old we get it.  Thanks for your interest and concern we don't need a reminder.

Also re directing traffic here from the other game crash thread as it is marked as 'solved' now and this problem we are having is not yet solved.  Thanks.

I believe this bug isn't easily solvable,

The game requires around 4GB to run correctly due to the engine and several other factors. What the fix that Obsidian has suggested does is it simply moves the kernel and system memory reserved space slightly. If you are running 4GB on a 32-bit machine the system reserves 2GB for it's system and kernel tasks, this command simply changes the kernel to only use 1GB and moving up the usable memory range up to 3GB.

While this can work there might be cases where you still crash simply because you won't have enough memory for the game. With this fix you're technically only using 3GB (Assuming you have 4GB). This bug isn't necessarily a bug it just simply is a case of the game using more memory than your system allows.

Currently I seem to be having problems with any screen transition in Gilded Vale.  Valenwood is fine, but the transition to Gilded Vale crashes, or when I transition areas in Gilded vale it crashes.  Memory is not a problem, the game is only using about 1 GB, but it's taking almost the entire CPU load.  I hope they fix this soon.

Edited by curryinahurry