re: Publishing a novel or short story in the PE setting

I am aware that one of the tiered rewards is a novella written by one of the PE developers.

I am wondering who I might talk to about jumping on the band wagon and writing a novella myself.

Would it be possible for me to sell a Novella, say on Amazon, that is based in the PE setting?

Would I need some sort of rights, or nods, from Obsidian?

Would Obsidian value this work? Perhaps would they even help me to promote it, since it would be content that players would enjoy and might add to the richness of the setting?

These are just things I'm wondering about.

I have a rough idea for a novel that I've been working out in my head and on paper for a while, which I was planning to start soon and publish myself through Amazon, and I think it would add a lot of appeal to my story if it were set in the PE universe, and also I think that it might even make writing the story easier to have an original IP world to base it from with out having to develop this world myself.

Anyone know who I might contact to find out more about this?

While I don't think you have much of a chance I'd recommend you attempt to contact them via Twitter or an e-mail where you precisely and briefly outline what you had in mind. You shouldn't let anyone discourage you short of them themselves.

I am wondering who I might talk to about jumping on the band wagon and writing a novella myself.

Obsidian Entertainment. It's their IP.

Would it be possible for me to sell a Novella, say on Amazon, that is based in the PE setting?
I doubt it.

Are you published? Have you written anything before? Have you put anything online, perhaps?

Would I need some sort of rights, or nods, from Obsidian?

Hell yeah.

Would Obsidian value this work? Perhaps would they even help me to promote it, since it would be content that players would enjoy and might add to the richness of the setting?

Well look at it from their POV --- are you the next JRR Martin or are you a fan writing fan tic then do the math. Sorry to be harsh, but there ya go.

I have a rough idea for a novel that I've been working out in my head and on paper for a while, which I was planning to start soon and publish myself through Amazon, and I think it would add a lot of appeal to my story if it were set in the PE universe, and also I think that it might even make writing the story easier to have an original IP world to base it from with out having to develop this world myself.

So you want to write a fantasy novel but don't want to do any world-building? The Force is weak in this one.

Anyone know who I might contact to find out more about this?

OK, some heartfelt advice. There are two years to go, we don't even know much about a setting. It's great that you want to write, so crack open your laptop / get a notepad, hide someplace quiet and write.

You are, if I'm honest, approaching the endeavour ass-backwards. If you are in fact JRR Martin posting in pseudonym, apologies in advance.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

If your novel is set in the world of PE and you intend to use it for commercial purposes (which selling on Amazon definitely is) , you need Obsidian's permission. More likely than not, a chunk of the profits would have to go to them. You need to contact one of the devs to know the details.

Out of curiousity, how would you go about writing a novel set in a world you know next to nothing about? If you really want to write it, wait until the game's released, play it, take in the world's culture, politics and history and start from there. Right know all you can produce is a generic fantasy novel based solely on your imagination (which isn't a bad thing in itself, mind you, but it's not enough in this case).

Out of curiousity, how would you go about writing a novel set in a world you know next to nothing about? If you really want to write it, wait until the game's released, play it, take in the world's culture, politics and history and start from there. Right know all you can produce is a generic fantasy novel based solely on your imagination (which isn't a bad thing in itself, mind you, but it's not enough in this case).

I think that is a matter of opinion really.

It obviously sounds silly to think of a story like Lord of the Rings being traslated a Cyberpunk setting because LOTR has many details which are intrinsic to the setting itself, Hobbits of the Shire, Orcs of Mordor, Kings, and Elven Queens, etc. However, the over-arching themes of LOTR can be, and have been, adapted and retold many times in many settings.

Everyone writes differently, my technique is to think about the themes first. I ask myself what type of story I want to tell, once I have decided that, then I think of possible branches, twists, and subplots that would make such a story interesting. Finally I develop a rough outline of who the main characters will be, then I place them into a situation where I think my story will naturally evolve. It's rather fun.

In regards to what Monte Carlo wrote about me not wanting to do world building, that simply isn't true. If I had inifinite free time, nothing would make me happier, but I don't.

You don't need infinite free time to write a novel set in fictional universe of your own choosing, just dogged determination and creativity.

If you're really serious about being a paid, professional writer, then I'd strongly encourage some writer's workshops and just writing as much as you possibly can, hone your craft, have something to say, find your own voice ...