My displays totally black out on character creation screen

jumbojster

Question

So, I've seen a few people discuss this in other threads, but not this exact issue. I'm not completely sure what the problem is here. Seems like a potential driver issue, but I'm not 100% on that. I have rolled my my nVidia drivers to see if that would stifle the issue, but nothing has seemed to help thus far. My current drivers are 397.64.

I've made it to the character creation screen several times and every time, without fail, my game seems to crash. You can still hear the music looping, but both of my displays go black. This prompts me to do a hard reset because there is no other way to access my computer. Up until I've reached the character creation screen, everything seems to work like it should. I'm unable to upload a save file because I can't even save the game before this error occurs.

Another weird fact about this, is after the hard reset, my resolution has changed to 640x480 (in black & white) and was unable to change it until I updated my computer (although I was already at the latest version of windows at the time).

I'm genuinely puzzled as I've never had this issue on my computer playing any other game than PoE:II. I really would love to give this game a shot, but I can't get beyond the character creation screen. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

2 answers to this question

A number of people seem to be having this issue. I got through it by changing the resolution to 1280x720 (Windowed), but perhaps it was just luck. After completing Character Creation I switched back to 1920x1200 fullscreen and it's been mostly stable since.