Is it possible to be close enough for an enemy to be revealed on screen, and still have a chance to stealth? Or is the only way to sneak up to an enemy (without abilities), is to pre-stealth and assume an enemy could come up anytime (which slows the game too much doesnt it?)

edit:I realised if you have autopause on when enemy spotted, it gives you enough time. If this is turned off, theres no way you can do it unless youre always walking. However there are still times when you could be walking, have auto pause when enemy detected on and still be in combat before having a chance to stealth. Is there a way that decreases detection range?

Edited by jomoroon

Is it possible to be close enough for an enemy to be revealed on screen, and still have a chance to stealth? Or is the only way to sneak up to an enemy (without abilities), is to pre-stealth and assume an enemy could come up anytime (which slows the game too much doesnt it?)

edit:I realised if you have autopause on when enemy spotted, it gives you enough time. If this is turned off, theres no way you can do it unless youre always walking. However there are still times when you could be walking, have auto pause when enemy detected on and still be in combat before having a chance to stealth. Is there a way that decreases detection range?

i think this happens because of level geometry. normally, you can see an enemy at like X+Y meters away, and the enemy can see you at X. Normally "pause on enemy spotted" means you'll be in that comfortable zone of [X, X+Y] meters away, so the game will pause and you can stealth.

However, if you run around a corner and the map suddenly reveals an enemy really close by, then you'll already be in detection range and combat will be initiated (and I think the game deliberately doesn't autopause in this situation so that it doesn't clash with the "pause on combat start" option, unlike pillars of eternity 1).

Sometimes though, I can still stealth just as combat begins, and once I'm stealthed I might still be far enough away from the enemy's stealth detection circle that combat will start, but then almost immediately end.