I completed the game with a paladin and it was good enough, but I didn't understand how skills worked with party assist and such, and missed a lot of conversation checks.

I'd like to try a very weird build based on the skill check analysis on the wiki, and some personal preference (eg, focus on magic-related stuff, antitheist so no priest).

In short:

• Male Island Aumana from Deadfire Archipelago
  • Aristocrat
  • WizardEnchanter/Cipher
  • start with 18 Per, Int, Res (leaves the other three attributes at 7, 7, 7)
  • Make sure to cover metaphysics, arcana, religion checks for their maximum value (both with and without party assist)

I think it will be fun, but I'm worried I'm too squishy. There's too much I don't understand about PoE combat. I would be ranged, obviously, but I have a few questions:

• what are some "must have" perks from both classes?
  • suggestions on which armor to use? I guess I need a robe to reduce casting speed as much as possible
  • does that low dexterity increase casting speed too much? Can I improve it somehow?
  • I need to bring perception and intelligence to 20, to get to the highest convo checks. Will I get some permanent bonuses, or do I need to use equipment for this? I don't like temporary bonuses so food/potions don't help there
  • any general advice on survivability? :)
  • Like 1

Yes, that's the plan ;) but what about the actual combat? Is the build I outlined too impractical?

I'm very worried about might/dex/con being 7, but I know people do dump stats when they know what they are doing. Problem is - I don't :p

I think it would be totally reasonable to then build this character as a tank / support character.  I think this would be playable on POTD as it currently stands today (no telling once they fix it).  No damage to speak of on this fighter but we focus on maximum engagement, HP, defenses, regeneration, etc..  Then to make the character even more useful, you MC chanter/wizard/priest.  Focus that side into support.  So you buff all your allies/yourself while being the front line.  Items (Please keep in mind I've only explored the bottom half of the map):

Kapana Taga (Sword, One-handed) = I think this is your best bet for the build.  Basically the weapon will give you 1/5 chance of dazing on hit, bonus Raw damage, bonus melee damage for each engaged target, +4 accuracy for each engaged target AND +2 engaged targets!  This does everything we want and more.  The perfect weapon for us.  "Sittin side on a Junk, better believe that's a paddlin'" - Edér

Lethandria's Devotion (Shield, Medium) = Solid support shield that also has a tank flavor.  Great for what were trying to do.  I personally favor giving it 25% resist against INT affliction attacks, Sheltering Light, Hardened Crystal for the -25% Crit Damage taken.  

Patinated Plate (Heavy Armor) = A solid contender for the armor slot.  With upgrades, you can make this armor have 40% chance to stun an attacker who hits you with melee weapons for 2 seconds.  The downside is that this armor has higher recovery time penalties than usual.  They can be mitigated via upgrades however and at the same time, recovery penalties aren't something we particularly care about on this build imo.

Entonia Signet Ring = Perfect tank ring.  +3 to all defenses when engaged, stacking up to 5 times.  Yes please.

The other ring can be whatever you would want.  If your group will be behind your tank and no one else plans on being melee, you could use Ring of the Solitary Wanderer which gives you -35% Hostile effect duration.  Or some HP regen ring.

Undying Burden = Excellent belt.  The more we get hurt, the less damage we take.  Also grants us an extra Second Wind and +2 CON.

Death's Maw = Being near dead bodies gives us damage reduction.  Enter creepy Xoti quote here

Bounding Boots = Mobility is great, Leap from the Barbarian on a pair of boots.

Anyway I think that's a decent starting point.

Edited by Noctaem

Thanks for the detailed answer! Although it's not a fighter, it's a MC Wizard-Enchanter/Cipher. Does that change your advice?

Is Resolve the most important tanking attribute, even if Con is very low? (at 7)

Well yes, you could build it as a no damage control focused build.  Only run disabling spells that have effects rather than damage.  However, I'm not sure there's enough good spells between what you get to pick + grimoire to justify a character not taking any damage spells.  So you will have some just in case.  Could be viable.