How does encumbrance work? (or have I found a bug...)

So my character keeps announcing at the start of combat that she's carrying too much gear. But she's only carrying a few things in her personal inventory (a torch, some potions). So is it the stash? I have a ton of items in stash but I didn't think those counted towards encumbrance, or do they?

I also can't see any indicators/symbols anywhere showing she's encumbered, and her movement speed is unchanged...

Err, didn't think encumbrance was a thing in this game; this isn't Skyrim. Maybe it is and I never noticed. Likely, your party member that is complaining is wounded. This game, wounds make certain things happen, like lowering a stat, etc.

Err, didn't think encumbrance was a thing in this game; this isn't Skyrim. Maybe it is and I never noticed. Likely, your party member that is complaining is wounded. This game, wounds make certain things happen, like lowering a stat, etc.

I thought it could be that too but she's definitely not wounded. :( 

Maybe its whats shes wearing instead of carrying? Or both combined?

I wondered about that too and I've tried swapping her armor around. She says it even when wearing light clothing. I haven't tried testing removing belts or cloaks or other gear like that tho... Would that be worth it? 

Hmm, there is no encumberance mechanic in POE2...what are the exact words the character is saying at the start of combat?

The Mystic voice says "gotta shed some gear" I think. When I tested other voices I remember the Kind voice set says something like "It's not that I wouldn't like to carry more..." Other voices I tested said similar things that I'm forgetting at the moment. 

I wondered about that too and I've tried swapping her armor around. She says it even when wearing light clothing. I haven't tried testing removing belts or cloaks or other gear like that tho... Would that be worth it? 

Hmm, there is no encumberance mechanic in POE2...what are the exact words the character is saying at the start of combat?

The Mystic voice says "gotta shed some gear" I think. When I tested other voices I remember the Kind voice set says something like "It's not that I wouldn't like to carry more..." Other voices I tested said similar things that I'm forgetting at the moment. 

Maybe they were planning on adding encumbrance, added the lines for the voice sets, and now you're encountering a bug where the "carrying too much" audio file is being used instead of the one for "combat start". Kind of a stretch, but I suppose it's as good an explanation as any. 

If someone knows where the voice files are we could at least eliminate a few possibilities.

Edited by Purudaya

Maybe they were planning on adding encumbrance, added the lines for the voice sets, and now you're encountering a bug where the "carrying too much" audio file is being used instead of the one for "combat start". Kind of a stretch, but I suppose it's as good an explanation as any. 

If someone knows where the voice files are we could at least eliminate a few possibilities.

It does seem like a case of the wrong audio file playing during combat. Like I'm not seeing any limitations/negative effects being imposed on my character at all despite her saying she's encumbered...