Is Shifter animal form effectiveness really governed by Power Level and not Character Level?

The abilities you get from spiritshift scale with power level slightly in the usual ways (damage, duration, etc) but the effectiveness of the spiritshift abilities proper is governed by the temporary armor/weapons you're effectively granted.

The armor seems to scale with character level (although I have not tested this), but I don't know how the weapons scale. They all have 13-19 slash (cat, bear) or pierce (stag, boar, wolf, shark) damage baseline.

I heard spiritshift does not really scale well and falls short from mid-game to endgame. I remember this was the behavior in PoE1 and ultimately I was not satisfied with my main character as druid.

I was hoping this would have been addressed in Deadfire at least in Shifter subclass, which is all about spirit****ing. Now I need to create a character and I'm afraid to do a Druid because it could screw up my game experience again as it did in PoE1

So any official info on this? Does spiritshifting scale or not? Is Shifter and Shifter multiclasses (monk, fighter, paladin, rogue, ranger, barbarian) balanced ?

Edited by Ghilteras

I finally got around to checking this in the console.

Health gain from unshifting (as Shifter), ability duration, and the boar passive health gain all scale with power level. The actual damage done by a shapeshifted druid is determined by the weapons, which have the "Scaling" property. This seems to give them a 15% damage bonus every 4 real levels, starting at level 5. Armor is simpler: Bear armor starts at 10, everything else at 8; these increase by 1 every 4 levels (starting at 5, again).

I don't know if +60% damage at high levels is good enough, but it's certainly not nothing.

I heard spirit**** does not really scale well and falls short from mid-game to endgame. I remember this was the behavior in PoE1 and ultimately I was not satisfied with my main character as druid.

I was hoping this would have been addressed in Deadfire at least in Shifter subclass, which is all about spirit****ing. Now I need to create a character and I'm afraid to do a Druid because it could screw up my game experience again as it did in PoE1

So any official info on this? Does spiritshifting scale or not? Is Shifter and Shifter multiclasses (monk, fighter, paladin, rogue, ranger, barbarian) balanced ?

spiritshift had an insane base damage in the first game and could deal out the most single target dps probably if u can find ways to land hits. his only weakness was his base accuracy but that can easily fixed in the first game with afflictions and buffs.

in this game base damage doesnt change and u only get % damage increase. also monk fists are slightly better.

just make a 2 druids one multiclass and one that isnt multiclass, take both to 20 and u will have ur answer. i tried this day one if i remember right the pure druid was stronger so that means its powerlevel.

doing it on just one druid wont tell u anything (whether it scales from powerlevel or character level)

Edited by dudex