Overall, not bad not good. Single class rogue does 70% sneak attack late game while multiclass one does 60% so not big difference. Gambit is good as u can almost crit everytime u hit, refund the cost and use it again. But the problem is very obvious, your autoattack does almost the same damage as your ability in late game because all damage bonuses are additive bonus. My deathblow autoattack does like 60 damage and my vanishing strike does like 70 damage. Not impressive so far.

Only shining point is I got Flurry of Blade, which is an AOE, yeah an AOE!!! Finally rogue has an AOE!!!

Backstabbing is also very lame in late game when you have tons of damage bonus, it doesn't worth the extra mouse click.

Edited by dunehunter

The issue is, I can unlock deathblow with upgraded cripple attack, which +50% damage. I can also do a vanishing blow, which add 150% damage. more 100% flat bonus = weapon damage x 1 = 15 damage difference. One cost 1 guile, one cost 3. A worse ultimate ability than a lvl 1 one is very embarrassing.

Edited by dunehunter

What weapon do you find to be the best?  I really dont want a 2h.  Do you have an opinion on saber vs stiletto vs dagger?

Can you also share your stats and race?

Thanks!

If you really wanna play a single class rogue, dual wielding is the best because backstabbing is nerfed hard. You don't really need to go 2h backstabbing style, I'd say backstabbing is pretty weak now because it only gives u a flat 20~30 damage. 

I'd dual sword or sabre, with some crush weapon in 2nd set.

I just rolled a very common pale elf rogue. 10 Str, 10 Con, 19 Dex, 19 Per, 12 Int, 8 Res I think. 

Edited by dunehunter

It's +150% base damage and has always been (was even lower in PoE at some point). All additive base damage bonuses scale badly in the late game because weapon base damage doesn't scale. And once you can't add new ones your damage will not grow further. That was the rogue's problem right from the start - also in PoE: great at lower levels, gets more lame with every level he gains. I have no idea why they nerfed Deathblows... You need lashes and/or Might to multiply the bonuses. Single class rogue can't have lashes or Might boosts via abilities, so...

A weapon with a lash (didn't find one yet) and Deep Wounds help a lot.

A Rogue/Monk (especially Helwalker with Turning Wheel and Lightning Strikes at 10 wounds - 130% multiplicative damage means that Backstab alone climbs from 30 bonus damage to ~70, not to forget Sneak and Deathblows) or Rogue/Paladin can make better use of the dmg bonuses (also Backstab) than a single class rogue.

I suggested a lash based ability for high level rogues several times because of that reason. Something poison themed or so for a corrosive lash - similar to Lightning Strikes.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It's +150% base damage and has always been (was even lower in PoE at some point). All additive base damage bonuses scale badly in the late game because weapon base damage doesn't scale. And once you can't add new ones your damage will not grow further. That was the rogue's problem right from the start - also in PoE: great at lower levels, gets more lame with every level he gains. I have no idea why they nerfed Deathblows... You need lashes and/or Might to multiply the bonuses. Single class rogue can't have lashes or Might boosts via abilities, so...

A weapon with a lash (didn't find one yet) and Deep Wounds help a lot.

A Rogue/Monk (especially Helwalker with Turning Wheel and Lightning Strikes at 10 wounds - 130% multiplicative damage means that Backstab alone climbs from 30 bonus damage to ~70, not to forget Sneak and Deathblows) or Rogue/Paladin can make better use of the dmg bonuses (also Backstab) than a single class rogue.

I suggested a lash based ability for high level rogues several times because of that reason. Something poison themed or so for a corrosive lash - similar to Lightning Strikes.

"The one standout improvement: PoE 2's appraoch to loot. [...]  a bewildering number of unique items---poisoned swords, flaming axes, spirit-reaping scythes, all with names and backstories."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3270945/gaming/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-review.html