[CTD] Game crashes, No Head options in Character Creation

Chariot7

Question

So there are 2 issues really; I'll start with the crashes. When conversing with Berath at the beginning, I decided to go back to the Wheel. When the narration got to the part where I incarnated as a cat, after I hit Continue the game crashed. I've attached the zip file 2018-05-08_130836 below.

The second crash occurred when I got to the end of character creation and there were no Head options. I had selected a Wild Orlan. I went back (by selecting previous page) to the Race selection and chose Human (Meadow Folk) and after moving forward there was an option to choose Head(s) but when I clicked on the button nothing happened. I then clicked on the X in the upper right to exit Character Creation and the game crashed again. In fact, my entire computer froze and I had no choice but to Sign Out. The zip file 2018-05-08_133928 is attached below.

2018-05-08_130836.zip

2018-05-08_133928.zip

DxDiag.txt

6 answers to this question

Just wanted to update and say that I haven't had any crashes since the first few hours of release and I've been able to start a new game and have found that head/hair options are now available. It's too late for my 1st character but oh well. Thanks Obsidian! :)

• Like 1

I was able to play a little after rebooting but crashed again when I tried to exit the game. The reason I exited was to test another problem I noticed where my character apparently got shorted 1 Attribute point. I'll start a separate thread about that once I confirm it.

I want to add that I was having these crashing problems starting last week while trying to play the Backer Beta. When the 3rd update came in March I had no problems playing it. Then I stopped for several weeks and tried to play it again last week. This is when the crashes started to occur. There's a thread in the Backer Support area started by another player where I posted my own issues with crashing. I seem to not be the only one having this occur.

Also, there's still an issue with not have different Head Options during Character Creation. There is simply either no option to choose a different head or when I click on the Head button nothing happens. I've only tested this  with Orlan and Human so far because of all the crashing.

output_log.txt

2018-05-08_152302.zip

Hey Chariot7,

Sorry this issue is making it so you can't play the game currently, can you let me know what OS you are running on so I can add it to the bug I'm creating for the devs? Any information you can provide will help figure out the problem plaguing your computer.

Thanks,

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Hi Caleb! I am using Windows 10. There's lots of info in my dxdiag file that I attached to my original post above. I have been able to play up to Port Maje and when  I saved and quit a little bit ago there wasn't a crash. Can't say it won't happen again though.

There's also the issue of no Head options during Character Creation. I tested with male/female and all races and there are  no Head options for any of them. When I get to that point in Character creation, even though there is a button to click on for Head, nothing happens when I click on it. And clicking Next does nothing; it won't continue past Color unless I click on the buttons that come after Head. So I am unable to choose a different head or hair style for my characters currently.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the fast response!

I've just head the exact same issue. I selected wild orlan, no head option. I went back, switched to amua. Head option appeared but clicking on it didnt do anything. So I clicked on x to close character creation screen and got a crash.